Altos de Chavon Entry Fee

gargoyle999

I have found out a little more info on this but not the answer to my specific situation. It seems that there is only 1 road into Altos de Chavon and it goes though some compound where really rich people live.

So to keep just anyone from going there to rob and annoy they have a fee to get through their gate. If you are staying at a hotel there and show proof of that (meaning you are a tourist) they charge $5/pp. If you are local they charge $25/pp! :eek:

And that is even if you are doing nothing more than passing through to get to Altos de Chavon.

I still haven't found out if a cruise ship passenger on the shuttle available at the port would only have to pay $5/pp but I would hope so. I'll be finding out in about 2 1/2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up since we have now been there an info was so hard to come by.

There is a shuttle at the port. $7/pp round trip to Altos de Chavon. No additional fees to get through Casa de Campo. There is also a shuttle to downtown La Romana for $5/pp round trip. They drop you off at an area where there are vendors but you could walk around anywhere else you wanted.

Shuttles round about every 30 minutes.

• 5 weeks later...
Just wanted to follow up since we have now been there an info was so hard to come by.

There is a shuttle at the port. $7/pp round trip to Altos de Chavon. No additional fees to get through Casa de Campo. There is also a shuttle to downtown La Romana for $5/pp round trip. They drop you off at an area where there are vendors but you could walk around anywhere else you wanted.

Shuttles round about every 30 minutes.

Thank you Gargoyle......info is much appreciated!! And so right you are "so hard to come by"....LOL

The shuttles are not cruiseline affilated, they are independently operated by a shuttle service. When you reach port there is a small Welcome Center and they sell tickets there for shuttles to LaRomana town and Altos de Chavon. The driver did not speak English so there was no information provided on what we were about to see or where we were going. This port is like no other I have ever seen. It is like no mans land, more like a guarded compound. The ride to Altos de Chavon was beautifully sculpted for the rich visitors and when you arrive it is well guarded. Walking around you can see the famous golf courses and go down nature trails to the river. At the base of the river you will find natives willing to take you down river on their boats, but we were too scared to go with them. It was a beautiful place staged for the rich and not really representative of the country.

We are supposed to port at Catalina Island, actually I think we anchor there and tender in. Is this where you were to get on the shuttle? I'm having trouble getting the geography of the area figured out. Our ship (Costa Atlantica) has a tour to Altos de Chavon but it isn't clear if that is on Catalina Island or the mainland of the Dominican Republic. Help!!

You anchor off the coast of Dominican Republic and tender to Catalina Island, is that correct? We were in port at La Romana and that is where you pick up the shuttles. Altos de Chavon is about a 20 minute ride from La Romana and the shuttle is only $7.00 round trip, not nearly as expensive as the cruise ship excursion. Some passengers on our ship did take ferries to Catalina Island and I heard it was beautiful, but not much there. It is located off the coast and we could see it from La Romana.

Archived