Bermuda/ Grandeur Help!!

So I just booked a 7 night cruise for my husband, 7 year old daughter and I!!! We have never been on one and I am beyond excited!!! We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Grandeur on 10/25 to Bermuda...... I would love some advise or recommendations for the ship as well as things to do in Bermuda!

Has anyone experienced Halloween on board??? Will my 7 year old love it or hate me for taking her away over halloween??

Barbie Experience..... Is it worth it????

Well :) Im not really sure what Halloween is like on board but having children that age I would make sure that I have my own complete pumpkin filled with candy. And I know you didn't ask this but having sailed on both ships. Would you consider the Explorer? more for her to do....the rates look much cheaper...sails 10/27 out of Bayonne. Still not a bad drive for you. Just wanted to throw that out there. I am sure no matter what you will have a wonderful time. Oh...and we sure to take her for a walk up Gibbs lighthouse on Bermuda...fun and scary!!!!

Royal Caribbean has a page about hollidays on their website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/holidaysOnboard/home.do

The Halloween listing says:

Costume Contest; Halloween Decorations; Monster Bash Dance Party; Halloween Films; Kids' Haunted House; Costume Making Activities for Kids; Trick or Treat for Sweets for Kids; Costume Parade for Kids; Halloween Arts and Crafts for Kids; Kids' Halloween Theme Party; Scary Halloween Storytime.

The list can vary depending on ship, itinerary, and guests. For instance if it falls on a port day they may not do many activities since most are on land (this may not be a factor for Bermuda since it's a multi-day port). Same with if there are not many kids onboard.

If your interested in seeing more of the Grandeur of the Seas 7 night Bermuda sailing you can check out my video series. It was from the 5/17/13 sailing right before the fire.

Complete Grandeur of the Seas video series:

GoPro Arrival/Departure Timelapse -

Arrivals/Departures Videos -

Grandeur of the Seas Tour -

Captain's Corner -

Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception -

Summer Breeze Song Set & Aerial Show -

Aerial Performances

--Practice -

--8:15PM Show -

--10:15PM Show -

--Bonus: Multi-Cam Edit -

70's Dancin' in the Street Party - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxYphAb9es

Crew International Flag Parade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UFg_EsTOU

Norwegian Dawn Departure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kosxB-axYpM

Prinsendam Departure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEq-w6wzD0

We have sailed over Halloween (although not on Grandeur) - there is a lot of celebration and fun, and many passengers dress up in costume (adults and kids). RCI makes a big deal out of holidays - I think your daughter will have a great time.

I will also be on this sailing and was wondering about Halloween. We did the 6 night from Baltimore to Bermuda last year on the Enchantment. We left the kids home, so can't help there. We were trying to out-run a hurricane so can't comment a lot on Bermuda either. We rented Scooters for the one day we were in Bermuda, probably not appropriate for a child.

Join the Cruise Critic Roll call for this sailing. And sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

There is a wealth of information on the Ports of Call section for Bermuda. Check that out for ideas on where to go and what to do. It may be too cold for a beach that late in October, but Horseshoe Bay is really nice. It depends on what temperature water you like.

There are good public transportation options with the busses and ferries and the costs are reasonable. You can get a 3 day pass. Some things your daughter might like - Crystal and Fantasy caves, the zoo, the aquarium (next to the zoo), a ferry ride to St. George's and/or Hamilton, and there is a fort near St. George's called Fort St. Catherine. The cruiseline offers an evening glass bottom boat trip where there are lights under the glass bottom boat to see the fish and sealife underneath. It also goes over a shipwreck. I would not recommend a scooter, even for an adult. Many accidents occur with tourists on them as they drive on the opposite side of the road from us in the states. Also, there is a lot of traffic and the busses come right up to the backs of the scooters. When we were on Grandeur in 2006, one of the passengers from our ship lost their life on a scooter and their friend, who was also on the scooter was injured fairly badly. We're actually going back the end of August as the first part of a back to back with the Canada and New England cruise following.

Mary Anne

So I just booked a 7 night cruise for my husband, 7 year old daughter and I!!! We have never been on one and I am beyond excited!!! We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Grandeur on 10/25 to Bermuda...... I would love some advise or recommendations for the ship as well as things to do in Bermuda!

Has anyone experienced Halloween on board??? Will my 7 year old love it or hate me for taking her away over halloween??

Barbie Experience..... Is it worth it????

Be sure to come say hello to everyone on our Roll Call for the 10/25 sailing!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1747764

Royal Caribbean has a page about hollidays on their website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/holidaysOnboard/home.do

The Halloween listing says:

The list can vary depending on ship, itinerary, and guests. For instance if it falls on a port day they may not do many activities since most are on land (this may not be a factor for Bermuda since it's a multi-day port). Same with if there are not many kids onboard.

If your interested in seeing more of the Grandeur of the Seas 7 night Bermuda sailing you can check out my video series. It was from the 5/17/13 sailing right before the fire.

Complete Grandeur of the Seas video series:

GoPro Arrival/Departure Timelapse -

Arrivals/Departures Videos -

Grandeur of the Seas Tour -

Captain's Corner -

Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception -

Summer Breeze Song Set & Aerial Show -

Aerial Performances

--Practice -

--8:15PM Show -

--10:15PM Show -

--Bonus: Multi-Cam Edit -

70's Dancin' in the Street Party - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxYphAb9es

Crew International Flag Parade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UFg_EsTOU

Norwegian Dawn Departure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kosxB-axYpM

Prinsendam Departure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEq-w6wzD0

Wow!!! Thanks!! Super helpful. I am getting more and more excited!!! Cannot wait to watch the videos:)

We have sailed over Halloween (although not on Grandeur) - there is a lot of celebration and fun, and many passengers dress up in costume (adults and kids). RCI makes a big deal out of holidays - I think your daughter will have a great time.

Thanks, Cathy!! I am hoping to be able to pull this off as a total surprise for both of them so we will see :)

I will also be on this sailing and was wondering about Halloween. We did the 6 night from Baltimore to Bermuda last year on the Enchantment. We left the kids home, so can't help there. We were trying to out-run a hurricane so can't comment a lot on Bermuda either. We rented Scooters for the one day we were in Bermuda, probably not appropriate for a child.

Join the Cruise Critic Roll call for this sailing. And sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

S&JBoat - Are you bringing your kids on this sailing?? How old are they?? I will have to go over and sign up for the roll call!!!:)

There is a wealth of information on the Ports of Call section for Bermuda. Check that out for ideas on where to go and what to do. It may be too cold for a beach that late in October, but Horseshoe Bay is really nice. It depends on what temperature water you like.

There are good public transportation options with the busses and ferries and the costs are reasonable. You can get a 3 day pass. Some things your daughter might like - Crystal and Fantasy caves, the zoo, the aquarium (next to the zoo), a ferry ride to St. George's and/or Hamilton, and there is a fort near St. George's called Fort St. Catherine. The cruiseline offers an evening glass bottom boat trip where there are lights under the glass bottom boat to see the fish and sealife underneath. It also goes over a shipwreck. I would not recommend a scooter, even for an adult. Many accidents occur with tourists on them as they drive on the opposite side of the road from us in the states. Also, there is a lot of traffic and the busses come right up to the backs of the scooters. When we were on Grandeur in 2006, one of the passengers from our ship lost their life on a scooter and their friend, who was also on the scooter was injured fairly badly. We're actually going back the end of August as the first part of a back to back with the Canada and New England cruise following.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne - Thanks!!! This is super helpful! I will check out the ports of call sections:) That is so awful what happened on your 2006 cruise!!!! I cannot even imagine! Thanks again for all of your help:):)

We have sailed on the Grandeur during Halloween and the ship was all decked out for the holiday. Like you said, cathykb, RCI does make a big deal out of every holiday.

We were in Bermuda last summer on the Enchantment out of Baltimore. My son was 10 and my daughter was 8.

We took the kayak excursion and loved it.

As far as beaches go, we elected to go with Warwick Long Bay/Jobson's Cove over Horseshoe. We've been to Horseshoe Bay before, and it's certainly beautiful, but it also gets crowded. The #7 bus takes you from the Dockyard to the beaches. You can buy an all-day bus/ferry pass at a few places around the Dockyard. There is a stand right near the ship, but that gets crowded, as people go to it right after getting off the ship. We walked around the Dockyard to near the Ferry stop and bought our passes there. When you get on the #7, it will stop at Horseshoe Bay, and 95% of the people will get off to go there. The very next stop is Warwick (Warwick and Horseshoe are basically adjacent to eachother, with Jobson's Cove in between). The waves at Warwick are a little strong. However, just to the right of Warwick (between Warwick and Horeshoe) is Jobson's Cove....pure HEAVEN! The waves are basically nothing and the water is great for kids and adults. We snorkled (brought our own stuff as there aren't any rentals at Jobson's). There were at least 2 cruise ships in port when we were there and there was only 1 other family at Jobson's Cove with us. You can Google Jobson's Cove for photos/info.

When you are leaving Jobson's, you will get back on a #7 bus. It's jsut now going in opposite direction, so you are getting on BEFORE the people at Horseshoe. So, the bus shouldn't be very crowded when you get on. However, the stop right after Warwick is Horseshoe Bay, where many people will be waiting to get a seat on the bus you are already on.

Enjoy.

We sailed to Bermuda on Enchantment last year and loved it! Like most will tell you, Horseshoe Bay is a great beach spot. They also have a snack bar and chair rentals. There's a van that will take you from the snack bar up the hill to the bus stop when you're ready to leave. There are trails through the grassy hills that can get you from beach to beach.

One thing my husband and I agree on is Hartley's Helmet Dive. Google them and see what you think. We know we'd love to go back to Bermuda several times more and this excursion is one that we'll do again and again. It was that great! There were adults and kids participating, so it's something for the whole family.

Have fun!

Hi Rhiannon,

We will be leaving the kids at home again (they get to go on the Allure next summer). They are older anyway. One in college and the other a HS senior. Looks like you got a lot of good ideas from other posters. I am super excited for this trip. See you on the Roll Call.

Sue

Archived