Is the Natural History Tour at Denali worthless?

Headhoncho

We're doing the 4 day Alaska Tour before our cruise on the Sapphire Princess on June 9th. Included with our package is The Natural History Tour at Denali. I've heard that tour isn't worth the time. Any opinion would be appreciated. Has anyone cashed in the Natural History Tour for an alternative? If so, which one?

The reason people say it's 'worthless' is because the NHT only goes to Milepost 17. The Park shuttles will take you to the Savage River turnaround at Mile 15 for FREE!!

Also, the Park road is about 100 miles long. If you only travel 17 miles into the park you're not really experiencing much of it, are you? The further into the park you can go, the better your chances for seeing wildlife. For instance the popular bear viewing area is between Toklat and Eielson.

The tours are about 3 times the price of a shuttle. If you have enough time at Denali, at the very least consider a shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center at Milepost 66 for only $34. It's about 4 hrs each way. At peak season the shuttles leave about every 15 minutes in the morning so you can reserve accordingly. But since you're on a cruisetour it will depend on what time you arrive at Denali and when you leave.

This link provides a map of the Park Road so you can see the destinations of the tours and shuttles, as well as descriptions of each:

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

The reason people say it's 'worthless' is because the NHT only goes to Milepost 17. The Park shuttles will take you to the Savage River turnaround at Mile 15 for FREE!!

Also, the Park road is about 100 miles long. If you only travel 17 miles into the park you're not really experiencing much of it, are you? The further into the park you can go, the better your chances for seeing wildlife. For instance the popular bear viewing area is between Toklat and Eielson.

The tours are about 3 times the price of a shuttle. If you have enough time at Denali, at the very least consider a shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center at Milepost 66 for only $34. It's about 4 hrs each way. At peak season the shuttles leave about every 15 minutes in the morning so you can reserve accordingly. But since you're on a cruisetour it will depend on what time you arrive at Denali and when you leave.

This link provides a map of the Park Road so you can see the destinations of the tours and shuttles, as well as descriptions of each:

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

YAY! Good to hear. This is what we're doing, going 66 miles into the park. We're doing the pre-cruise land tour on our own, but are staying at a Princess Lodge (Denali). Booked our own rail travel independently also. We saved mucho bucks doing it this way, along with a little more freedom.

YAY! Good to hear. This is what we're doing, going 66 miles into the park. We're doing the pre-cruise land tour on our own, but are staying at a Princess Lodge (Denali). Booked our own rail travel independently also. We saved mucho bucks doing it this way, along with a little more freedom.

Don't forget to pack a lunch and water! There's a Subway near the Lodge and other places as well. Eielson VC has 'facilities', including a drinking fountain so you can fill your water bottle for the trip back. Enjoy your trip!

We're doing the 4 day Alaska Tour before our cruise on the Sapphire Princess on June 9th. Included with our package is The Natural History Tour at Denali. I've heard that tour isn't worth the time. Any opinion would be appreciated. Has anyone cashed in the Natural History Tour for an alternative? If so, which one?

If you could not tolerate the 8 hour TWT then that is fine. The TWT is outstanding and really gives you a taste of the interior of Alaska. The Princess busses for this tour are a step up from the park's school busses in that they have bucket seats rather than the bench type seats. Although a box lunch is provided, we brought our own Subway sandwiches with us. The provided box lunch is a roll, piece of cheese, reindeer salami, chips and granola. The Princess busses provide unlimited bottles of water. Bring your binocculars and cameras.

Don't forget to pack a lunch and water! There's a Subway near the Lodge and other places as well. Eielson VC has 'facilities', including a drinking fountain so you can fill your water bottle for the trip back. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you! I had heard that, and made myself a note to do that.

The TWT is an excellent option ! to Milepost 53, 7-8 hrs $ 115

However you can only select an AM or PM tour, not a specific time. Since the OP is on a short cruisetour, they may not have a large enough window to accomodate the TWT.

I had included a link to the Park's reservation site but here it is again, open to the tours this time.

http://www.reservedenali.com/denali-tours.aspx

The Toklat Shuttle goes to Mile 53 which is the same destination as the TWT and can be reserved for a specific departure time and only $25. But again, it depends on how much time is available. Some of those cruisetours arrive midday and leave at noon the next.

If you only have one night in Denali for your cruisetour, you might have little choice.

"Worthless"? No, but not the way 99% of the people who know better want to spend their time in the park.

Why spend all that money for the NHT (the price is included in your cruisetour price, but you ARE paying) when you can replicate the same tour for free? The film at the WAC is free, the ride to Savage River is free (you can get off at the Savage Cabin on your own, read the interpretive signs, etc all for free). Why in the world someone would pay +-$70 for the NHT is beyond me.

If you only have one night in Denali for your cruisetour, you might have little choice.

"Worthless"? No, but not the way 99% of the people who know better want to spend their time in the park.

Why spend all that money for the NHT (the price is included in your cruisetour price, but you ARE paying) when you can replicate the same tour for free? The film at the WAC is free, the ride to Savage River is free (you can get off at the Savage Cabin on your own, read the interpretive signs, etc all for free). Why in the world someone would pay +-$70 for the NHT is beyond me.

Many thanks for the informed responses. We have 2 (almost) full days at Princess Denali Lodge so changing the NHT would be an option. I'm not sure how to go about it.

Many thanks for the informed responses. We have 2 (almost) full days at Princess Denali Lodge so changing the NHT would be an option. I'm not sure how to go about it.

Contact whoever you made the reservation with.

But first you need to know what time you ARRIVE in the park and what time you DEPART. Once you have that information you can decide how to replace the NHT.

If they won't provide a refund, book a shuttle on your own. They're inexpensive so you won't be out a ton of money. Toklat $25,Eielson $35. But you need to know EXACTLY how much time you have available in order to figure out which options will work.

In the past, Princess, would upgrade you to the TWT if time allowed. As mentioned, just contact your TA or Princess if that is whom you booked through. They can take care of it for you. Or as mentioned, you could just request a refund and book a shuttle. However, you then have to work out the details of getting to the park. Princess does have a shuttle from the Denali Princess to the park, but you would need to coordinate that. Some people will walk to the park.

If you could not tolerate the 8 hour TWT then that is fine. The TWT is outstanding and really gives you a taste of the interior of Alaska. The Princess busses for this tour are a step up from the park's school busses in that they have bucket seats rather than the bench type seats. Although a box lunch is provided, we brought our own Subway sandwiches with us. The provided box lunch is a roll, piece of cheese, reindeer salami, chips and granola. The Princess busses provide unlimited bottles of water. Bring your binocculars and cameras.

Sorry, but Princess does not have its own busses that go into the park. Only park busses are used for both the shuttles and the tours.

As vbmom said, your info is incorrect and/or outdated. No Princess buses at all. And now all shuttle buses have the same bucket seats that the tour buses have (I assume you weren't in the park last season?).

We are booked with Princess and are doing a land tour prior to our June 16th cruise on the Diamond Princess. Our package included the Natural History Tour as well, but I changed it to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. This has to be done through your TA, not Princess and you will be charged an additional $55.00 per person for this tour. Hope this info helps!

Rose :)

We are booked with Princess and are doing a land tour prior to our June 16th cruise on the Diamond Princess. Our package included the Natural History Tour as well, but I changed it to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. This has to be done through your TA, not Princess and you will be charged an additional $55.00 per person for this tour. Hope this info helps!

Wow, and for less than $55, one can totally ditch the NHT and just book the shuttle bus that goes further into the park (more bear viewing chances and more chances to see the Mountain). In any case, the TWT is still far superior to the NHT.

Sorry, but Princess does not have its own busses that go into the park. Only park busses are used for both the shuttles and the tours.

Princess has shuttle buses running from the Denali Princess Lodge to the Wilderness Access Center where you pick up your tickets for the shuttle bus booked through the park......we are doing this in August....then walking back to the lodge when done late at night....there is a walking path from WAC to the lodge.....

Princess has shuttle buses running from the Denali Princess Lodge to the Wilderness Access Center where you pick up your tickets for the shuttle bus booked through the park......we are doing this in August....then walking back to the lodge when done late at night....there is a walking path from WAC to the lodge.....

That is correct as I stated in my other post.

The post I was responding to stated that Princess had better buses to go into the park. That is not true. Once you get to the park, there are only park busses to take you into the park. Princess buses do not take you into the park.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the TWT tour in 2007 and loved it even though it was a very long day. We saw tons of wildlife and Mt McKinley was out, too. We stopped at the Subway and brought sandwiches with us as the boxed lunch wasn't very big.

A helpful hint-try to sit on the left side of the bus. The views are much better on the left. Coming back you will be on the right but the bus goes much quicker on the way back so being on the left is best. Also take a washcloth or paper towel to wipe the windows off to keep them clear.

• 2 weeks later...

YES- it is useless!

Archived