Cuba Excursion Question

J.Williams

I want to know if there will be people outside the cruise terminal to take you on tours of Cuba.

I'm going to assume you are talking about Havana....there are other cities where cruises go. If it is Havana, then YES...there are people outside the port terminal who are offering tours and/or classic car rides. Some of them are right outside the terminal door, but most are across the street in the public square. They approached us, but were NOT pushy or agressive. When we said "no, gracias" they walked away.

I am arriving to Cuba next week on the Norwegian Sky. I want to know if there will be people outside the cruise terminal to take you on tours of Cuba. I really don't want to buy an excursion through the cruise line.

Be sure to do your homework (read the posts on this thread) to find out the going rate for tours. We paid $130 for a six hour combo tour. Also, talk with your potential guide for a bit before committing to ascertain their command of English. Of course, an alternative is to book ahead of time with someone recommended on this board.

Be sure to do your homework (read the posts on this thread) to find out the going rate for tours. We paid $130 for a six hour combo tour.

We walked over to a public square near the Capitol and chose from hundreds of classic cars for a private tour. We got the most beautiful pink and white like-new Chrysler convertible! All the car owner/drivers were charging the same...$40pp for a 1 hr tour of Old Havana. It was plenty of time and we saw or stopped at many sights. The driver even took us back to the cruise terminal at the end of the tour (as we'd been out walking around for 8 hours).

So, we can just leave the boat when we get to Havana? I was under the impression that you had to have an excursion booked? Also, I already submitted the affidavit that stated that I would do a People to People excursion through Norwegian or another group. Should I change it or will I be fine. I am sorry for all of the questions. I don't want to get there and get into any trouble.

So, we can just leave the boat when we get to Havana? I was under the impression that you had to have an excursion booked? Also, I already submitted the affidavit that stated that I would do a People to People excursion through Norwegian or another group. Should I change it or will I be fine. I am sorry for all of the questions. I don't want to get there and get into any trouble.

First, you will be fine because OFAC is not likely to ever ask about what you did, given the millions before you untroubled since around 2000.

Secondly, NCL has indulged in practices which in Australia would land them with severe financial penalties for misleading or deceptive conduct. While they include a form to certify a reason for travel, their website suggests the only option is one of the "Educational Activities" - which is a bald faced lie.

Finally, Irrespective of what you sent to NCL, the only thing which (legally) matters will be what you end up doing as compliant activities, and where you spend your money.

If you end up "supporting the Cuban people", OFAC cannot even require you to present a schedule of your activities (but most Cuba watchers think they won't bother you anyways).

Yes.....just walk off, go through immigration (show them your passport and visa), go to the CADECA money exchange (if you want CUC's...Cuban currency which is what's taken in most places, especially small local places), go down the long stairs to the right of the CADECA and out onto the street!

No secret police, no cruise officials....you can go wander to your heart's content! As far as the affidavit, most people are now checking Support for Cuban People, so if you get a chance to change it at embarkation, I would. BUT....it really makes no difference. Those forms are filed in some drawer. You will be able to come and go from the ship all you want. Relax and enjoy!! :D

Once I filled my OFAC form out online for NCL, it was never brought up or mentioned again.

I would encourage you to book with one of the recommended tour guides in advance- no payment is required until the end of the tour for Blexie Tours- and the price of 130 CUC for up to 4 people (though this would require one person to ride up front with the driver and guide) is a great deal for 6 hours of touring. I have not yet read a single negative review of any of the tours arranged by Blexie. I know there are other excellent companies also mentioned on this forum. You really lose nothing by booking in advance.

We walked over to a public square near the Capitol and chose from hundreds of classic cars for a private tour. We got the most beautiful pink and white like-new Chrysler convertible! All the car owner/drivers were charging the same...$40pp for a 1 hr tour of Old Havana. It was plenty of time and we saw or stopped at many sights. The driver even took us back to the cruise terminal at the end of the tour (as we'd been out walking around for 8 hours).

C'mon, there is not nearly enough space or hundreds of cars. No need to exaggerate.

C'mon, there is not nearly enough space or hundreds of cars. No need to exaggerate.

Not sure why you find the need to pick on other posters, but this square was huge and full of cars, side-by-side, waiting for customers. I'm not exaggerating and you're obviously a bully who needs to stop posting until you can take a kindness pill. :rolleyes: