February in New Zealand on Solstice

sayvan

Hi folks.... have been looking and googling (is that a word) to see what type of weather a couple of Canadians can expect to find in February while cruising in New Zealand with a stop in Tasmania as well. Yes, I can look online and yes I know that no one can really predict what tomorrow will bring (in life and weather) so I am hoping some of you familiar with the area will have some insight. Although I am Canadian and can handle the cool arctic breezes, down deep inside I am a full blown parrothead who enjoys a warm tropical breeze whilst engaging in a cold tropical drink. In short, I wanna be in shorts! Fins up and thanks for the insight...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi folks.... have been looking and googling (is that a word) to see what type of weather a couple of Canadians can expect to find in February while cruising in New Zealand with a stop in Tasmania as well. Yes, I can look online and yes I know that no one can really predict what tomorrow will bring (in life and weather) so I am hoping some of you familiar with the area will have some insight. Although I am Canadian and can handle the cool arctic breezes, down deep inside I am a full blown parrothead who enjoys a warm tropical breeze whilst engaging in a cold tropical drink. In short, I wanna be in shorts! Fins up and thanks for the insight...

February is the best of our summer so it will be pleasant even in the Deep South of New Zealand. Yes bring shorts. With perhaps a sweatshirt to layer over tshirts on top. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring layers. You could get some lovely weather in February, we did this year, but there is always the chance of a cold snap. NZ has a temperate to sub-tropical climate, not tropical. Also it does get quite cool when going through the sounds of Fiordland so bring a warm hat, scarf and gloves. Also bring a good rain jacket. That way you're covered for everything. :D

February is the best of our summer so it will be pleasant even in the Deep South of New Zealand. Yes bring shorts. With perhaps a sweatshirt to layer over tshirts on top. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info... shorts was what I was looking for!

Bring layers. You could get some lovely weather in February, we did this year, but there is always the chance of a cold snap. NZ has a temperate to sub-tropical climate, not tropical. Also it does get quite cool when going through the sounds of Fiordland so bring a warm hat, scarf and gloves. Also bring a good rain jacket. That way you're covered for everything. :D

Thanks as well... as long as we are looking at temps over 14-15c, shorts and a sweatshirt will do this Canadian just fine! My wife will want the gloves for sure... great information!

Hi there. I think you may be on the same cruise as we are booked on - the Solstice out of Auckland on 17 February, so you won't be visiting Fjordland, the only stop on the South Island being Picton. Sydney is likely to be really warm, and Hobart will probably be very pleasant, perhaps in the mid to high 20s (we're speaking C here, not F). Adelaide may be really not, or not. Perth, where we live, tends to have its hottest weather in February, and as the cruise finishes here in the 5th of March, it may still be warm. That is Labour Day weekend here, and is often still quite hot. Advice to be prepared to layer up is good advice. A nice pashmina for your wife will probably be needed for nights out on deck, particularly laying out on the lawn and gazing up at the magnificent southern sky at night. Other than that, you will probably spend most of your time in shorts and a light top. And having said all that, the weather here, as in so many places, is crazy of late. We had 37 on Sunday, for instance, and 26 yesterday. That's quite a difference. Enjoy.

Weather patterns are all over the place at the moment. New Zealand is heading into drought conditions this summer. Already some cities like Napier are running short of water and here in Wellington we are under water restrictions pertaining to gardens. It will get worse so we are told. Temperatures here in Wellington are 17 degrees early morning with mid to high twenties during the day. That's Centigrade by the way. The Equinox winds have been blowing over the last few days which cools things down a bit but they are projected to die off tonight. The Solstice is in Wellington today and the pax on board will be loving the weather.

Hi there. I think you may be on the same cruise as we are booked on - the Solstice out of Auckland on 17 February, so you won't be visiting Fjordland, the only stop on the South Island being Picton. Sydney is likely to be really warm, and Hobart will probably be very pleasant, perhaps in the mid to high 20s (we're speaking C here, not F). Adelaide may be really not, or not. Perth, where we live, tends to have its hottest weather in February, and as the cruise finishes here in the 5th of March, it may still be warm. That is Labour Day weekend here, and is often still quite hot. Advice to be prepared to layer up is good advice. A nice pashmina for your wife will probably be needed for nights out on deck, particularly laying out on the lawn and gazing up at the magnificent southern sky at night. Other than that, you will probably spend most of your time in shorts and a light top. And having said all that, the weather here, as in so many places, is crazy of late. We had 37 on Sunday, for instance, and 26 yesterday. That's quite a difference. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. We are actually disembarking on the 17th as you get on and we depart.

These weather reports suit me just fine. As a true bred Canadian anything over 14c is shorts weather for us! Looking forward to visiting the land down under and all its wonder!

Thanks for the info. We are actually disembarking on the 17th as you get on and we depart.

These weather reports suit me just fine. As a true bred Canadian anything over 14c is shorts weather for us! Looking forward to visiting the land down under and all its wonder!

We are on the same cruise and currently anticipating bloody hot weather from Dunedin North

You will live in your shorts, in that case. I now laugh about living in Germany and how we would go to the pool if the weather was around 18 degrees C. Now, here in Oz, I'm like to put on a light jacket at that temperature. Enjoy.

You will live in your shorts, in that case. I now laugh about living in Germany and how we would go to the pool if the weather was around 18 degrees C. Now, here in Oz, I'm like to put on a light jacket at that temperature. Enjoy.

Reminds me of when were in Holland and the sun came out from behind all the grey clouds, everyone just started stripping off the shirts and such to get some sun, it was like 16 degrees celcius and we were thinking these dutchies are mad.

February can get quite hot so you'd be mad not to be packing some shorts & T shirts.:)

But it's going to vary depending on what part of NZ you're in.

We spent one holiday there in Jan and another in March (different years) and both times the weather was mainly beautiful & fine, sometimes hot. However, the South Island can be a different kettle of fish. There was one day when we went to visit Lanarch castle in Dunedin where there was a light drizzle and my husband was in a jacket and beanie, standing in front of a roaring fire. And there were a lot of other days where we started out with a jacket but took it off as the day progressed.

Tasmania is another place that can get cooler weather even in Summer.

I'd advise layers as someone else said. Shorts plus some long pants plus t shirts and a few jackets/cardis or wraps you can throw over them.

Reminds me of when were in Holland and the sun came out from behind all the grey clouds, everyone just started stripping off the shirts and such to get some sun, it was like 16 degrees celcius and we were thinking these dutchies are mad.

Reminds me of one time when we went to Europe. It was late August. We flew into London. The temperature on the day we arrived was cooler that it had been in Sydney (around 18C I think) and people were sitting in sun loungers, legs bared, sleeves rolled up, while we had a couple of layers on. :D