Time to get from Civitavecchia train station to the cruise ship dock.

Notaclue

The time is a matter of some luck. When the system works, you would get off the train, walk through the station, purchase a bus ticket (inside the station) which costs about 2€ and then get in one of the waiting buses that usually sits across the street from the main entrance. That bus takes you to a small stop in about 10 min where you then transfer to the appropriate free internal port bus that will take you to your ship. If the system works in your favor the process should take no more then 1/2 hour. But the buses do not run during their extended lunch hour (I think from about noon - 2). Your other option is to try and get a taxi to take you directly to your ship's pier, but it can be difficult to find a taxi and many do not want to do the short haul.

Hank

The time is a matter of some luck. When the system works, you would get off the train, walk through the station, purchase a bus ticket (inside the station) which costs about 2€ and then get in one of the waiting buses that usually sits across the street from the main entrance. That bus takes you to a small stop in about 10 min where you then transfer to the appropriate free internal port bus that will take you to your ship. If the system works in your favor the process should take no more then 1/2 hour. But the buses do not run during their extended lunch hour (I think from about noon - 2). Your other option is to try and get a taxi to take you directly to your ship's pier, but it can be difficult to find a taxi and many do not want to do the short haul.

Hank

Hank is to be trusted here, for sure. We've only ever made that walk when we've come FROM the port to the station to hop a train into Rome for an excursion. In that case, we walked and it took maybe 10 minutes from the spot where the ship's buses drop you off (I think of it as the port gate). But I would NOT want to drag luggage that far, so the scenario Hank describes is probably pretty accurate, but I'd add that I sure wouldn't plan on the 30 minutes. Yes, it can happen. But I'd just assume it's going to take 1.5 hours, and if it call goes smoothly...oh well. Far better than leaving yourself no time!

Once, we took a train from Civitavecchia to Rome for the day. No problems going. On the way back, the train stopped for 25 minutes about half way through the trip for no reason we ever heard. We just sat there and sweated (literally) hoping we'd get back to the port on time. So based on my one experience, I'll never cut it close again!!

Hank, can taxis go directly to the ship.

Unless they have recently changed the port rules, a proper taxi is permitted into the port and can drop you at the appropriate pier. But what is a "proper taxi?" It is a taxi authorized by the Port of Civitavecchia. And the Port Authority does not generally disclose which taxis meet this requirement. There is no question that a licensed taxi in Civitavecchia can enter the port. And we have previously seen many regular taxis from the airport (FCO) also permitted in the port. In addition, many of the reputable car transfer services such as Romecabs.com and Romeinlimo.com are permitted inside the port. But nobody (and I mean nobody) can predict what the policy will be tomorrow, next week, or next month :(, After all, we are talking about Italy :).

As to walking, I am not sure if Murry847 is aware that the buses no longer go to the main port gate (this is the one near the small fort). The drop area (and where you now transfer from the free port shuttle to the paid train station bus) is located at Largo della Pace. This is about 1.5 kilometers from the train station and it feels like a lot longer walk then from the old port entrance.

As to the old main port entrance (technically called Forte Michelangelo ) this is still open to pedestrian traffic and is located about 600 meters from the train station. The problem is that the internal port shuttle buses no longer pick up or drop inside this gate. You can use this gate but must be willing to walk the entire way to or from your ship within the port. Depending on your docking location this can be quite a hike (a mile would not be out of the question for the more distant piers).

There are a few of us here on CC that have been in and out of the port many times and are happy to share our experience. However, none of us can predict the future of this port. It does appear that the use of the Largo della Pace as the main drop and transfer point is intended as a long term policy. The port has also been very helpful to those who want to walk between the port entrances and their ship..to the extent that they even have marked walkways. But to be very honest, my own experience (which is extensive) in Italy has taught me that anything can change at any time.

Hank

Murray, Hank, thank you for your posts ,much appreciated. Hank, your description of things is what I have been able to find on line and it makes me breath a lot easier to have it validated by someone who is so familiar with the port. It appears that the train running on time may be the one thing that can't be predicted. We are supposed to arrive at approx. 2:45 pm and boarding is until 5 pm. Hope there is no unscheduled stop as you had Murry. Anyway, thank you both for your time and insights.

Just another word about taxis. Some cruisers will decide to take the train to Civitavecchia and expect to grab a taxi at the train station to take them the last mile to their ship. But there are not always taxis at the station and some of the taxis will not accept a short haul ride to the port. If a taxi says they will not take you this can often be overcome with the promise of more Euros (20€ might be enough). If you cannot get a taxi there is still the multi-bus option where you take the 2€ but to Largo della Pace where you transfer to the free port buses that will take you to your ship.

Hank

Thanks again Hank, I really appreciate all your help. You have validated everything I could find on the Internet and that makes me feel a lot better. As I said before, It appears that a train delay is the only thing we have no control over but hopefully all goes well on that front. (Famous last words) Any, thanks again, very much, for all your help.

Your fear of delayed trains is well founded although most of the regional trains coming from Rome do tend to depart on time. The longer ranges more expensive Intercity type trains (these cost more and require reservations) have more of a delay problem because they travel very long distances.

When heading to any port for a ship that is going to depart that same day we always advise NOT taking the last possible train. We are always thinking about our "Plan B." So, for example, if going from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia our Plan B (in case of train cancellation) would be to head back outside and grab a taxi.

Hank

The mention of an extra tip to interest a reluctant taxi CV taxi driver, reminds me of the better alternative - talk to folks on your cruise roll call to identify several staying in Rome near your hotel, and then share a hired van. We've done this several times for a much more comfortable way to get from hotel in Rome direct to the ship, for very little extra cost over one or more taxis and train.

The mention of an extra tip to interest a reluctant taxi CV taxi driver, reminds me of the better alternative - talk to folks on your cruise roll call to identify several staying in Rome near your hotel, and then share a hired van. We've done this several times for a much more comfortable way to get from hotel in Rome direct to the ship, for very little extra cost over one or more taxis and train.

Keep in mind that my taxi comment was in regard to a very short haul taxi ride from the Civitavecchia train station to the nearby port. Taxis throughout Europe are notorious for refusing "short haul" fares. Sometimes it can even be funny. One day we were sitting at an outdoor cafe in Cannes, France having our cafe au lait. At the next table were 3 taxi drivers having their coffee and smokes while their taxis were parked nearby at the curb. A few cruisers walked over to the drivers to ask if anyone would take them to the Cannes train station (less then 1 mile). One driver laughed and said in pretty good English, "do you think we would leave our coffee and cigarettes for such a short trip? Walk!" After those folks sulked off we all had a good laugh. The reality about French taxi drivers is that they might not have even accepted 20€ for that short haul...because they do not like to interrupt their frequent coffee/cigarette breaks.

But getting transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia is never a problem. Any taxi would be happy for that fare.

Hank

Thanks to all for your help. Our back-up plan upon arriving at Roma Termini would be to take a taxi if necessary. Hope that is not necessary though and all goes well. Wish us luck. Once again, thanks to all, much appreciated.