Hello me and my son would like to loose weight =)

t968

Me and my son would like to loose weight for our "upcoming cruise" which will take place next summer for my daughters graduation, but although we are going to florida this september for a wedding so we would like to look good for that as well! I was considering joining the gym but he's only 15 and they claim he can't have full acess to the gym until hes 18 but its the full price still at 15? Any ideas to help us!?

That is really fabulous that you want to help each other!

1. Do you have a dog? If so, get in the car and map 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile routes, then start walking together. If no dog, you can walk with each other. I have 3 dogs and they EXPECT to be walked everyday. They know when I get dressed in the morning, then its time to go!!

2. Go to your local library and check out exercise DVDs'. Try them out and decide what works best for you before you invest with a purchase. (our local library is online and I can reserve them)

3. Perhaps weight watchers could help you both develop the necessary healthy eating stradegies! And you can go together. It helps you stay accountable.

4. Do you have a Y? Ours have exercise classes that anyone can join.

5. One of my best tips.............reading the threads on Lose Before You Go. I have just completed all 52 pages of the menopause thread. Really terrific supportive women and they are awesome in that they share what works for them.

6. Check out sparklepeople.com

good luck and I'll be checking back to see how you're doing!

I know teenagers can join Weight Watchers - that would be a good place for both of you to start learning how to eat right. Walking is free and can be done by anyone - I know it's kind of cold in NJ right now (being there myself), but hopefully it will be better soon. I agree with the suggestion about buying (or even renting) a work-out DVD. Some 5-10 lb. hand weights would be a good investment - I got some at a discount store for $5.

He has playstation 3.. but we want to do a work out together .. like he wants to get "abs" and i just wanna loose weight reguarless!!

I lost a bunch, and worked out a ton, with my now 15 year old son three years ago. He was very heavy. He kept with it, eats like a health food nut, and is now not only thin and fit but rows every day with his school crew.

Me? Another story.....:p

• 3 months later...

Get a wii. That's really good and less repetative than DDR, easier to play anytime than setting up the pads. and its REALLY fun 2 player. wii sports is good, but even warioware can wear you out.

Here are some good dieting tips as well, also for tummy exercises I got a sports hoop from sportshoop.com and my teens love it, my 16 year old daughter lost an inch off her waist in about 10 days...

Either of these two diets you can do and exchange foods of equal calories from the food exchange link I am adding as well. Some people dont like certain foods so we found this to be great, and like me I cant take much tuna so chicken is a great sub for that and the exchange website tells you what foods and how much are equal.

Here goes....the first link is the food exchange link

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/fd_exch.htm

2nd link is to the 3 day "diet" we use mon-wed.

http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/leonj/409af96/malonzo/Psy499/3day.html

the 3rd listed is the actual nutrisystem "type" of diet we do thurs - sat and we take sunday off for a meal or so and just try to behave. Have that craving you have been wanting...its ok its not like smoking you wont go back...lol

Breakfast

1 meal replacement bar OR shake OR 1 breakfast lean pocket (up to 150 calories)

8 oz calcium fortified orange juice OR 8 oz fat free milk

1 serving fruit

Lunch

1 frozen entree OR 1 can soup (up to 300 calories)

Unlimited salad with 2 TBSP fat free dressing

Dinner

1 frozen entree or 1 can soup (up to 380 calories)

12 oz bag frozen veggies (such as Birds Eye Steamfresh)

1 Fruit Snack (choose 1)

1 fruit serving = small apple, orange, pear, peach 2 kiwi or 2 plums. 1 sm box raisins or 1 sm snack size container diced fruit in juice

1 Dairy Snack (choose 1)

8 oz lite yogurt

8 oz fat free milk

1 snack size 1% cottage cheese

1 piece string cheese

1 snack size fat free pudding

The only thing I diasgree with is that one can of soup although low in calories has the entire day's worth of sodium alotment which means water retention. Also the more sodium you eat, the more you'll want to eat. Remember the Lays' potato chip jingle..can't just stop at one?

Low calorie does not mean low salt. You are much safer buying your own fresh foods, and weighing/measuring portion sizes. Then you can control sodium and the other garbage chemicals they put in the food. It is more work, but if you want to lose weight it can't be about convenience.

Here are some good dieting tips as well, also for tummy exercises I got a sports hoop from sportshoop.com and my teens love it, my 16 year old daughter lost an inch off her waist in about 10 days...

Either of these two diets you can do and exchange foods of equal calories from the food exchange link I am adding as well. Some people dont like certain foods so we found this to be great, and like me I cant take much tuna so chicken is a great sub for that and the exchange website tells you what foods and how much are equal.

the 3rd listed is the actual nutrisystem "type" of diet we do thurs - sat and we take sunday off for a meal or so and just try to behave. Have that craving you have been wanting...its ok its not like smoking you wont go back...lol

Breakfast

1 serving fruit

Lunch

Dinner

1 Fruit Snack (choose 1)

1 fruit serving = small apple, orange, pear, peach 2 kiwi or 2 plums. 1 sm box raisins or 1 sm snack size container diced fruit in juice

1 Dairy Snack (choose 1)

8 oz lite yogurt

8 oz fat free milk

1 piece string cheese

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you are so lucky to have a son that wants to work out with you. Well, since it is summer there are so many ways to get in some excersise that will take advantage of the great out doors. We love to bike ride and how about hiking? I just read that rollerskating burns 800 calories an hour. I am 57 but I have ordered myself some skates.

I count calories, that way I have what I want but I don't have rice or potatos or chips etc. Instead of ice cream I have a fudgesickle, only 100 calories, but I still get a treat. My biggesst recomendation is to eat lots of fiber, whole grains and fruits. I am down ten pounds and feel great and certainly not deprived. after my workout, I look forward to a nice crisp apple and the healthier you eat the less you miss the junk.

Good luck, Cozzette:)

Breakfast

1 serving fruit

Lunch

Dinner

1 Fruit Snack (choose 1)

1 Dairy Snack (choose 1)

8 oz lite yogurt

8 oz fat free milk

1 piece string cheese

Wow Cruie Crazy68, does this really work? How much weight have ya'll lost? Do you tend to gain on the days that you are off the diet?

I have been on and off of Atkins for a couple of weeks, but this does look interesting.

Let me know how you are doing with it.

Archived