Westerdam Question about magnetic hooks

WeissGal

I have magnetic hooks which should hold up to 18 lbs. Will these work on the walls on this ship? I have read that some ships need very strong magnets to stay on the wall and hold anything.

Edited by WeissGal
Update

Sorry I guess I should have titled this Westerdam Questions!

I am new to blogging andclear.png?emoji-halo-1683 I get confused with all the different threads here. :halo:

In addition to my magnet question. We are cruising Alaska in 3 weeks.

Is it worth it to rent a family cabana for the Glacier Bay day at sea? It seems it would be just as cold as standing anywhere else on the deck but I like having a reserved space for viewing? Are the views good from there?

What is the Explorer Lounge?

I see there is an additional cost but what do I get for my money? How much is it?

We just returned from Alaska on the westerdam. Unfortunately can’t comment on the magnets. As for the cabana, it was very cold on May 3rd, I can’t imagine being in a cabana. We were on the bow for a bit and the promenade deck. Keep an eye open for the stewards with special split pea soup, it’s soooo good and warm! There were tons of places in which to view the glaciers without crowds. We had a Neptune suite so spent lots of time on our veranda.

The explorers lounge is the space that used to be called the crows next. There’s no charge, it’s a coffee/drink type place. We really disliked this area, it was really crowded, people basically camped out all day in the view loungers. It’s kinda like a big Starbucks. I’m betting it was crowded during glacier bay, we avoided that area. Hope that info helps.

I use rare earth magnetic hooks rated at 24 lbs that work very well. Ones rated at 18 lbs should work too, as long as they aren't expected to hold too much weight. Remember, that's pull weight, so the hook attached to the ceiling should hold 18 lbs, but when attached to the wall, could start to slide down under less weight.

The explorers lounge is the space that used to be called the crows next.
No, the Explorer's Lounge is a bar on deck 2 between the lower MDR and the Lincoln Center Stage. If there is something that happens there now that incurs a charge other than for drinks, it must be a recent change, as I have never seen such on any HAL ship. On the W-dam the Crow's Nest still contains the Explorations Cafe, and now also has the EXC excursion center. Edited by catl331

No, the Explorer's Lounge is a bar on deck 2 between the lower MDR and the Lincoln Center Stage. If there is something that happens there now that incurs a charge other than for drinks, it must be a recent change, as I have never seen such on any HAL ship. On the W-dam the Crow's Nest still contains the Explorations Cafe, and now also has the EXC excursion center.

Easy to confuse the Explorations Cafe and the Explorers Bar by name, but not by function, if someone is new. Assume they meant the Explorations Cafe - which because it was near the old and more vast library, it was a more suitable name. One now explores nothing in this fake "library", shore excursion desk and interactive search video screen palace. (But I have not yet seen it myself - so I am only passing on what I have read)