Do we NEED to link a credit card to onboard expense account?

red-rose

We have pre-paid gratuities, purchased a drink package and don't plan on drinking beyond that or eating in specialty restaurants, already purchased all shore excursions we plan on doing, so *I* don't plan on spending any money that would require us to use our account, so my question is:

Does X require us to provide a credit card regardless?

(As in, we won't be allowed to board until we do so? If so, I might as well do it now rather than when we arrive.)

TIA!

Set up the cash account but be prepared to receive a letter on day 2 or 3 stating that an error was made while checking in...

You then go to Guest Relations and tell them that the cash account is exactly what you wanted. We have received that letter at least 50 times when choosing the Cash Account rather than giving our credit card number..

I would just set up a credit card account. If you charge nothing, it will have a balance of zero. You can check it on the tv screen from time to time. You need an account; you may need to buy something, even some tylenol in the shop or want internet minutes.

Personally, I'd set up the credit card link before you sail.

You never know when you'll have a weak moment and decide to say, for example, let's grab a bite at Bistro on 5. If you have a cash account you'll be required to settle it before they allow you to leave the ship at the end of your journey. You'll be in a long line at guest relations trying to settle your bill shortly before you leave. If you have a linked credit card you won't need to worry about that $5 or $10 in change delaying your departure.

If you're worried about getting dinged with erroneous charges on your card, you can always contest them. I doubt Celebrity would challenge you.

JMHO

You are required to use something, so using a credit card will be the easiest. If you put cash on account you have the hassle of standing in a very long line on the last morning to get your refund.

You are required to use something, so using a credit card will be the easiest. If you put cash on account you have the hassle of standing in a very long line on the last morning to get your refund.

I think it's easier to just use the CC...that way you can always dispute charges!

Is there a minimum amount you have to have available on the CC or cash on account?

For cash, it depends on what cruise line, but you can expect to need $250 to $300 per person. For a credit card, there's no minimum, but you can't spend more than your credit card company will allow.

Archived