Brisbane Cruise Ship Terminal

Creeky

First Cruise from the new Cruise Ship Terminal - End of August

We had a look around the Cruise ship terminal today and just thought we would let everyone know how things are going - we had a look through the Display 3 bedroom unit facing the river - Very nice but at $2.3 million we went back and looked at the Cruise Terminal and the good news for anybody going on a cruise late August is that you will be going from the new Cruise Ship Terminal as they hand it over to Customs on Monday 31/7/06 and will be having a dummy run on Wednesday the 2nd of August with about 1,000 School Kids to iron out any bugs in the system

We talked to Construction Workers and the Ladies at the display unit who showed us on the model of the Terminal how things will work - it all looks very nice - you will board the ship from the walkway on the first level of the Cruise Terminal above the shops and cafe's

Peter & Cheryl

YIPPEE!!:) P.S P&O will not allow air arrival passengers to use their airport to ship transfer bus to the new wharf, unless they have pre-booked air/hotel/accom packages with P&O.Cheers

At least you wont have to go far.

Sounds like an opening for an enterprising Taxi or Shutlle operator to do good business and probably charge far less than P&O would .

P&O will not allow air arrival passengers to use their airport to ship transfer bus to the new wharf, unless they have pre-booked air/hotel/accom packages with P&O.

Cheers

The same is supposed to apply in Sydney - but when we flew in on the morning of our cruise - we were approached by the coach driver (he saw our P&O folders) and asked if we needed transfers. When we said we hadn't booked (we had independant travel) he said that's no problem, it's $8 per person, which we were more than happy to pay.

Might be a different story at the end of the cruise though... But it's only about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the terminal to the airport - probably about $20.

Yay! Great news! Did you happen to notice any signs as to who will do recruiting for office staff? I would love to work there, accounts or admin.

I would say P&O will bring over the staff that currently operate at Pinkenba and Roma Street on sailing days.

The next cruise ship arrival in Brisbane is Pacific Star on August 19, with departure on the same day - so it sounds like it should be ready by then.

I'm surprised it's being handed over tomorrow - it didn't look that close to being finished when we drove past last weekend.

Kym

[quote name='Skyrules']The same is supposed to apply in Sydney - but when we flew in on the morning of our cruise - we were approached by the coach driver (he saw our P&O folders) and asked if we needed transfers.  When we said we hadn't booked (we had independant travel) he said that's no problem, it's $8 per person, which we were more than happy to pay.

Might be a different story at the end of the cruise though...  But it's only about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the terminal to the airport - probably about $20.[/quote]

Hi Skyrules!

Yes other people have posted similar stories applying to Sydney, so I thought I'd e-mail P&O & ask directly about Brisbane. Their response was 'no', but I guess it makes no difference to the bus driver. It's no big deal anyway as the wharf is so close as you say, and we arrive so early, with many hours to kill!

P&O have said boarding time is from 10.15am....does that sound right?

Cheers

Hi Skyrules!

Yes other people have posted similar stories applying to Sydney, so I thought I'd e-mail P&O & ask directly about Brisbane. Their response was 'no', but I guess it makes no difference to the bus driver. It's no big deal anyway as the wharf is so close as you say, and we arrive so early, with many hours to kill!

P&O have said boarding time is from 10.15am....does that sound right?

Cheers

Yes, since cruises generally depart Brisbane at 2pm, 10.15 for boarding would be about right. We were supposed to start boarding at 10.30 on our cruise but becuase the previous cruise was delayed due to Cylcones Larry & Wati, out boarding was pushed back to 12.30 with depature about 4.30.

What time do you get to Brisbane?? My suggestion would be to go directly to the Wharf from the Airport, check your bags in. After that you could wander along the river to Brett's Wharf and cross over Kingsford Smith Drive there and go to one of the nice cafe's up Racecourse Rd, Hamilton for a coffee - or jump on a City Cat into the City or Southbank.

Kym

Good advice Kym.

We'll be meeting friends off the Statendam in February. We intend to collect them from the cruise terminal via the City Cat and bring them back to our place on the Cat. Nice river cruise for them.

I'll have to check that the Statendam fits under the Gateway Bridge. I'm sure it does. It is not one of the mega ships. It is such a shame that ships like the Sapphire & Diamond Princess will not be able to use the new cruise terminal.

Sandra

QUOTE=Skyrules]

What time do you get to Brisbane?? My suggestion would be to go directly to the Wharf from the Airport, check your bags in. After that you could wander along the river to Brett's Wharf and cross over Kingsford Smith Drive there and go to one of the nice cafe's up Racecourse Rd, Hamilton for a coffee - or jump on a City Cat into the City or Southbank.

Thanks for your suggestions Kym. We get into Brisbane at 8.30am.

The fact that you mention getting the City Cat to Southbank has now perhaps answered another query! We are staying at Southbank for a few days after the cruise and I wondered how easy it would be to just catch the Cat there. It always appears easy when one looks at a map! We have accommodation near the Vulture Street Wharf (No.3). Checking the Brisbane Services site, it looks like we would need to catch the Cat to the city and then a ferry to wharf 3. If that is true, would it still be a relatively easy thing to do with luggage, sea-legs and 'teenageish' kids in tow?

Thanks!

Tropical Showers,

It would be very easy for you to use the City Cat. It is a short walk (3min) from the cruise terminal to Brett's Wharf where you catch the Cat.Walk to the left as you exit the terminal. You can't miss it.

Can you tell us the name of the hotel or its address as I'm confused about the Vulture Street terminal? Never heard it called that but I'm sure it must be River Plaza. The City Cat does not go to River Plaza but the little wooden ferry does. The easiest way for you to do this with luggage is to take the City Cat from Brett's Wharf to North Quay. The little ferry leaves right from where you get off to go back to River Plaza. This little ferry also stops at SouthBank 3. The City Cat stops at South Bank 1 & 2. All the Southbank stops are not very far apart. If you take the Cat to North Quay I think your one ticket is good for the wooden ferry trip.

Hope that makes sense. If not ask again.

Sandra

Thanks for your suggestions Kym. We get into Brisbane at 8.30am.

The fact that you mention getting the City Cat to Southbank has now perhaps answered another query! We are staying at Southbank for a few days after the cruise and I wondered how easy it would be to just catch the Cat there. It always appears easy when one looks at a map! We have accommodation near the Vulture Street Wharf (No.3). Checking the Brisbane Services site, it looks like we would need to catch the Cat to the city and then a ferry to wharf 3. If that is true, would it still be a relatively easy thing to do with luggage, sea-legs and 'teenageish' kids in tow?

Thanks!

Which hotel are you staying at?? Since you'll be carrying luggage etc - it's probably easier for you just to stay on the City Cat and get off at the Southbank stop, and then walk to your accomodation from there. All of the hotels in the Southbank area are within easy walking distance from the Southbank City Cat stop.

'Lo,

I'm very new to cruising. Our first cruise is on the Star departing 29th Aug. We recently got Tickets & info sent to us and it has the "Roma St" Transit Centre as the place to go?:(

Do u think they will change that? I'm not sure what the new Terminal means to our departure.

Any Help Appreciated!

Ta

Mel:)

Also thinking about spending the night before the cruise in bris, somewhere close to where we need to be (we are leaving our car out in the "burbs" with a relative) Any suggestions? We can handle 3 to 5 star! (-;

'Lo,

I'm very new to cruising. Our first cruise is on the Star departing 29th Aug. We recently got Tickets & info sent to us and it has the "Roma St" Transit Centre as the place to go?:(

Do u think they will change that? I'm not sure what the new Terminal means to our departure.

Any Help Appreciated!

Ta

Mel:)

Also thinking about spending the night before the cruise in bris, somewhere close to where we need to be (we are leaving our car out in the "burbs" with a relative) Any suggestions? We can handle 3 to 5 star! (-;

Hi Mel,

We are on the cruise after you R629 leaving on the 9th Sept.

We too are departing Pinkenba Wharf(So our tickets inform us, I wonder when the new terminal will open?) with bus transfers from The Transit Centre. The Holiday Inn is above the transit centre, they have twin and family rooms for $189 nt (maybe cheaper on the net). hope this helps.

Lea.

Good advice Kym.

We'll be meeting friends off the Statendam in February. We intend to collect them from the cruise terminal via the City Cat and bring them back to our place on the Cat. Nice river cruise for them.

I'll have to check that the Statendam fits under the Gateway Bridge. I'm sure it does. It is not one of the mega ships. It is such a shame that ships like the Sapphire & Diamond Princess will not be able to use the new cruise terminal.

Sandra

Yes, Statendam will be able to sail under the Gateway Bridge and up to Hamilton. Unfortunately Sapphire & Diamond Princess (and others) will have to continue to use the container wharf at Fisherman's Island as they won't fit under the Gateway bridge.

According to the Queensland Government Co-ordinator General's major projects website;

http://www.coordinatorgeneral.qld.gov.au/major_projects/cruiseship_brisbane.shtm

Pacific Star will be the first cruise ship to use the new Cruise Passenger Terminal, doing so on the 19th August 2006 - which is the day she arrives back in Brisbane after her New Zealand season.

This website is dated June 22.

Kym

Tropical Showers,

It would be very easy for you to use the City Cat. It is a short walk (3min) from the cruise terminal to Brett's Wharf where you catch the Cat.Walk to the left as you exit the terminal. You can't miss it.

Can you tell us the name of the hotel or its address as I'm confused about the Vulture Street terminal? Never heard it called that but I'm sure it must be River Plaza. The City Cat does not go to River Plaza but the little wooden ferry does. The easiest way for you to do this with luggage is to take the City Cat from Brett's Wharf to North Quay. The little ferry leaves right from where you get off to go back to River Plaza. This little ferry also stops at SouthBank 3. The City Cat stops at South Bank 1 & 2. All the Southbank stops are not very far apart. If you take the Cat to North Quay I think your one ticket is good for the wooden ferry trip.

Hope that makes sense. If not ask again.

Sandra

Thanks for your info Sandra and Kym!

We are staying at the Hillcrest Central Apartments,(on Vulture St.) and comparing various maps (old I'm afraid), it appears we are actually closer to the River Plaza wharf as you thought. We won't be in any hurry to get there as check- in isn't until 1pm so a Cat & ferry ride sound just the go!...weather permitting for any 'on foot' part!:)

Caught the news last night and they definitely said the new terminal will be up and running at the end of August, let's hope so!

Cheers,

According to the Queensland Government Co-ordinator General's major projects website;

http://www.coordinatorgeneral.qld.gov.au/major_projects/cruiseship_brisbane.shtm

Pacific Star will be the first cruise ship to use the new Cruise Passenger Terminal, doing so on the 19th August 2006 - which is the day she arrives back in Brisbane after her New Zealand season.

This website is dated June 22.

Kym

You're right Kym,

I just rang P&O and asked about when the Star would be sailing out of

the new terminal, as our tickets stated we were boarding at Pinkenba Wharf. (R629 on 9th Sept) They said The Star would definately sail from the Hamilton Wharf from 19th Aug.

Lea.

Archived