Ireland/Scotland Excursion Advice Please

js10

I am in the process of making final excursion decisions for an upcoming British Isles cruise and need some advice. Between the ports of Cork, Belfast and Glasgow what is an excursion that you would recommend that would provide a beautiful ride through the countryside? I have lots of things planned for the cities we visit but I do not want to miss the beautiful countryside that everyone raves about on Cruisecritic. Right now I am trying to choose between Kinsale (Cork), Coastal Drive and Glens of Antrim, perhaps Giant's Causeway as well (Belfast), and Best of Scottish Highlands (Glasgow). I am open to either the Princess excursions or to private tour companies.

Thank you!

We saw the countryside from all three ports and I would say that the Antrim Coastal drive from Belfast, including the rope bridge and the Causeway, was the most scenic (even though we got some fog in the afternoon). We went with Odyssey, on their Extra Legroom Tour shore excursion. Comfortable seating. Smallish group. Affordable. Others on our Roll Call organized Black Taxi and other private tours.

The scenery, particularly the Trossachs, from Glasgow is also spectacular, though I cannot recommend the tour operator we went with there.

We went to Kinsale and Blarney from Cobh and the scenery was . . . well, green. Pretty, but not breath-taking. (We went with eCoach and enjoyed our visits to Blarney and Kinsale, though, and would recommend both.) If you want breath-taking scenery from Cobh, I've heard the Ring of Kerry drive recommended? You'd be a long time in a vehicle, though.

I wonder if you do the Causeway, do you drive through the Antrim Glen to get there? I've heard the Antrim drive is really nice but many tour companies seem to focus on the Causeway.

Possibly because the Antrim roads are narrow with twists and turns and the larger buses can't take them? I think you'd have to choose a tour in a taxi, van, or minibus.

Thank you! Just booked Odyssey Tours shore excursion in Belfast for Giant's Causeway tour. Sounds perfect as it will include a drive in a smaller vehicle on the coastal route. Great price as well (except for the exchange rate--ouch!)

We enjoyed our tour to Blarney Castle and Kinsale with eCoach. We also enjoyed our tour with Invergordon Tours to Urquhart Castle, a cruise on Loch Ness, to Clava Cairns, and then Cawdor Castle. The cruise on Loch Ness was the highlight of that excursion. Even the train ride from Greenock to Glasgow was scenic.

hello js10.

we have just returned from a short break in Belfast and surrounding area, and can highly recommend Vale cabs Belfast. Billy is a self employed taxi operator running a new Audi A8.

We had a wonderful trip with him ,he was very informative of his native Belfast and tailored the tour to our needs .

He can be contacted at valecabsbelfast dotcodot uk

The Giants Causeway,and rope Bridge are now run by National Trust so if you have a membership remember and take it with you, then entrance is free.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and the weather is kind to you.

We have a wonderful country you will be made most welcome.

We just got back from NCL Breakaway's Transatlantic cruise. When we were in Cobh near Cork we joined a bus tour with "Paddy Wagon Tours". I HIGHLY recommend then. Much cheaper than the tours booked thru the ship. The buses were clean, well kept & new. The driver was very friendly and talked to the riders pointing out local points of interest and stories. You will not be disappointed.