Gate One river cruise

Lou Werhane

Does anyone know if Gate1 let's you pay tips on River cruises with credit card.

We just returned from a 14 day river cruise with Gate 1. We were able to pay the tips for the crew with a credit card, but the cruise director and the asst. cruise director was paid with cash. When you call your credit card company mention that one of the countries you will be in is Cyprus, as that is where the charge would originate. Our directors said any currency was fine with them.

I know gate1 pays TAs a lower commission for land tours then some of the other tour operators. That means you'll get a lower discount, rebate or extras.

I'm not sure if that applies to gate 1 cruises.

The commission is fairly comparable to a lot of others unless you use a discount code or book an independent tour. That includes cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AND if you get a mixed drink, they charge you for the liquor then sell you the soda to mix in. Water is as much as soda too. We got supplies and brought it on board..even picked up brandy for after dinner/sitting on the top deck coffee... it really was the only penny pinching thing we encountered ...

We will bring some on board also.

I must be running out of questions if I'm asking about water :o

Is the tap water onboard Gate1 river ships OK? Can I assume that we are served water at meals?

thanks in advance -

They leave pictures of ice water on all the tables. We drank the tape water too,no problems. Also in the lounge next to the coffee maker they have iced water.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, We have done 2 land tours with gate1 and found them perfect,we are currently looking at the Rhine for June or July 2019, saving around $3000 for the two of us if we pay the deposit by April.

Laughing to myself about the cost of soft drink,I might have to take to the bottle,can anyone advise me on which side if the boat to be on,

Many thanks in advance

Carole

...can anyone advise me on which side if the boat to be on,...
The best views are from the top side (sundeck); in inclement weather next best are from the lounge. There are castles etc on both sides of the boat, and if you stay in your cabin you will miss half of them. Actually other than the Rhine Gorge (past Lorelei etc) much of the sailing will be at night, and when docked you may (probably) be rafted (tied up broadside to another boat), and unless you are lucky enough to be innermost or outermost will be staring at your neighbors. For this reason I usually save and go in Aquarium class, but I have no argument with those that feel otherwise.