Gloves--how heavy do they need to be?

mcmarya

Our cruise is 8/31 - 9/7. What sort of gloves and hat will be warm enough--i.e. how cold is it likely to be? My husband has some bulky gloves and also some fairly thin polypropylene glove liners. Will the liners be warm enough? We are not doing any helicopter tours to glaciers.

Thanks

This will be our third time to go to Alaska, all have been end of August to middle of September. The first was inside passage from Vancouver and last year and this year are cruisetours, from Fairbanks last year and Anchorage this year. I have always taken the little knitted gloves, one size fits all and never used them! I will take them again and see. We have been very fortunate to have great weather. First cruise in ISP it came a little shower and we stood under an awning, probably not 5 minutes. Last year in Ketchikan it showered most of the day, our jackets are waterproof and we put on our hoods and no problem. We did the Deadliest Catch excursion that morning and walked down Creek Street in the afternoon, showers and all. So far, we haven't needed caps or gloves.

We took heavy gloves and those thin ones (thinsulate type) and used them every day, but that was in late June. We used them mostly at night and in the morning, since you're on deck much later than normal due to the sun setting late.

How used to cold are you? My husband cannot deal with cold at all and his hands really hurt.

The gloves you need depend on your personal needs. I always carry a pair of Patagonia fleece gloves in my jacket pocket and a pair of thin wool gloves in my camera bag. Hat for sure.

I get really dried out in Alaska and my hands get red, rough and sore very quickly.

Thanks. I think we'll take a chance and go with the thinner gloves. I'll probably pack some hand warmers just in case.

I wear a thinner jogging glove here in Anchorage until around the first of November. You can skip the hand warmers. A lite weight stocking cap that will block the wind will be sufficent for head wear.

if you are using binoculars or a camera - at least a fleece glove that fits well is warranted - at least on glacier days - and while cruising if you're out after dark. I prefer earmuffs over a hat and wore them on colder days and on our kenai fjords and surprise glacier days.

Archived