Details on Chichen Itza from Cozumel

donald1039

We just completed an excursion to Chichen Itza from Cozumel on an excursion from Royal Caribbean Allure. I thought a few details might help others given I had difficulty finding details before our trip given the ferry concerns.

- we docked at one of the 2 southernmost docs - not at the town center

- RC had two dedicated ferry’s at the same doc to take excursions to Playa del Carmen - no ferry based excursions were cancelled despite what we had read.

- some security at the ferry (dogs) but it appeared that dedicating ferries to the ship was part of the security. We felt safe and felt the ferry and Mexico concerns were mostly overblown.

- ferry was 45 min each way and rougher than most ferries we have taken, but not as bad as the hype. Only 1 kid got sick that we saw

- 2 hour 29 min bus ride each way to / from Chichen Itza on a well air conditioned tour bus - 1 1/2 hours at site with 1 hour of it guided

- we left at 9:30 am and returned at 7 pm - the ship departed at 7:30 - no way would I have tried this on our own

- snack lunch provided - not much but ok

- water and Coke provided at site - very hot at Chichen - well above the temps at Carmen

- a good bit of walking and would be difficult with mobility issues (Walk to ferry, walk though tight streets in Carmen to bus, a lot of walking mostly in the sun at Chichen

- the lot and entrance at Chichen was a zoo but inside people are more spread out and did not hinder the visit.

- Carmen was a zoo when the ferry docked - The cruise line left that coordination to the locals and it took a few minutes to figure out where we were supposed to meet our guide