TP Dining - Buffet for Dinner?

TheDee

My husband and I sailed on the R3 3 years ago and are looking forward to our July 6th cruise on the TP. Ren did not have formal nights, and I realy don't want to get that dressed up for those two evenings. Is the buffet available in the evenings for dinner on those nighta? or is it open at all for dinner? Looking into our options rather than bringing a gowns and a tux.

Hi TheDee! Please join our Roll Call for July 6th. There are about 15 or so of us who have been chatting over several months. Click on Princess rollcalls and look for the post with the date of sailing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi TheDee-

Just got back from 5/17 sail on TP. We never get overly dressed for formal night. Of our group, the girls wore casual skirts, the boys khakis and button down shirts. (no gowns, no ties, no tux). We ate in the formal dining room with everyone else and no one batted an eye. My personal opinion is its my cruise, and I should be comfortable. The buffet is not open for dinner. However, they do offer a sit down pizza/calzone dining option if you would rather not hit the dining room. Have a great time!

lisa

• 4 weeks later...
There is also the alternative restaurant. For the first few nights it is the Steak House and then for the other nights it is the Italian Restaurant or vice versa. We didn't eat there but I do know quite a few did.

Regarding formal nights. We all wore formal attire and I didn't see anyone in casual gear. Perhaps because we were on late sitting but I am sure I would have noticed as it is not a large ship and the dining room is not huge.

I am sure some people ate in their cabins. We had a honeymoon couple tacked on to the end of our table and they only ate in the dining room a few nights.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the TP last October for our honeymoon. From what I recall (and we had late seating) the bulk of men were wearing tuxes or dark suits. Women had on anything from cocktail dresses to ball gowns. The TP was by far the most "formal" we had seen (4 prior cruises). I was kinda surprised by that given the long flights everyone had to contend with and the "laid-back" feeling of Tahiti.

Hubby rented his tux on board, the best thing we ever did! Well worth the price and hubby couldn't complain about packing too many clothes!!!!

Also - I was under the impression that on formal nights, Sterling and Sabatini were also formal.

• 2 months later...
I checked with Princess directly, and I was told that the buffet is open 24 hours, including dinner. I take that to mean that if we do not want to dress up for either of the formal nights, that we could just go to the buffet for dinner. Is this correct? I am somewhat confused by the post that says the buffet is not open at dinner time.
Jackie

we just got back on tues. the buffet is open for dinner every night. formal night can be anything from sports jacket with or with or without tie, suit the same way, or formal. i wore my tux. to me it's the same as a suit. we saw no men at the late seating with out a jacket of some type. women had anything from skirts to silky pants suits to formal dresses. it's not that hard to pack a sports jacket, white shirt and tie. nobody will say anything if you don't dress but i personally would feel funny if i was way underdressed.
the cruise was great, and i will be posting a review shortly. if you have any questions i will be checking the cc sight daily.
hal

Welcome back hal, thanks for the update on formal nights. Question: what were people wearing on the other eight nights? I am guessing shorts or real informal wear is frowned upon. Just do not want to run into too many surprises on our first cruise! Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed:
We we on the TP 4/03. From what I remember, most people dressed business casual or casual for dinner. Oh yes, there were a few tuxs' around, but not the whole ship.
Mostly dockers and hawaiian shirts. No shorts in the dining room that we saw.
By-the-by, you've picked an excellent first cruise. Everyone loves this one. We're booked for our second go at it next May.

Have a great cruise!!

we only ate in the diningroom, sabatini's,and sterling. men dressed in slacks, both polo or docker type and dress material. shirts were mostly flowered or solid button front, but there were some pull over but all with collers. the two alternative restaurants were the same.
hal

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a lot of Hawaiian shirts, so it sounds like I am ready! Really looking forward to the cruise and meeting some of the great people from CC who have been so helpful to our planning. will post a trip report when we return.

Archived