Post Cruise Hotel through NCL

njkate

Doing trans atlantic next April ending in Rome (Civitavecchia) of course we want to spend a few days post cruise there.

The hotel NCL uses is Crowne Plaza Rome- St Peters, is that a good choice or should I try and find another hotel?

It has decent reviews on trip advisor, is about 10 miles from airport, but will we be too far out to see some sites?

Do not stay there. It's much too far away from the sites. Cruise lines and tours use this hotel because it is large and away from Rome traffic.

You will have a much better experience if you look for a hotel in the historic center of Rome -- from here you can walk to most sites, and you will be in the midst of a lovely area in the evening with lots of strolling people, restaurants, etc. Plus you can pop into your hotel during the day if needed for a quick rest, to change shoes, or drop off shopping bags.

Please trust me on this. My sister and BIL stayed at the Crowne Plaza the first time they went to Rome (pre-cruise) and they were sorry afterwards.

Do not stay there. It's much too far away from the sites. Cruise lines and tours use this hotel because it is large and away from Rome traffic.

You will have a much better experience if you look for a hotel in the historic center of Rome -- from here you can walk to most sites, and you will be in the midst of a lovely area in the evening with lots of strolling people, restaurants, etc. Plus you can pop into your hotel during the day if needed for a quick rest, to change shoes, or drop off shopping bags.

Please trust me on this. My sister and BIL stayed at the Crowne Plaza the first time they went to Rome (pre-cruise) and they were sorry afterwards.

Thank you so much, I was afraid of that. Will head over to trip advisor to do some hotel research

What would be the name of the neighborhood for historic district?

I'd look at areas like Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori and Trevi Fountain. Be sure to look at actual location though. Hotels in Rome are notorious for saying things like "We are only steps from the Pantheon" but they don't tell you how many steps....:D

I've spent a lot of time in Rome and like to try different hotels. Some that you might look at include:

Albergo del Senato -- expensive but great location overlooking the Pantheon, rooftop bar, a real traditional Italian hotel. My favorite in Rome when I can get a reasonable rate there.

Albergo Santa Chiara -- somewhat less expensive but still a very nice hotel in a great location behind the Pantheon.

9Hotel Cesari -- cheaper than the first two; well located between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain but the rooms are in need of some sprucing up. Excellent rooftop breakfast area/bar area. (This hotel was previously called Albergo Cesari but was recently acquired by the 9Hotel group).

All three of these generally include breakfast in their rate. Book directly through the hotel for the best rates.

I'd look at areas like Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori and Trevi Fountain. Be sure to look at actual location though. Hotels in Rome are notorious for saying things like "We are only steps from the Pantheon" but they don't tell you how many steps....:D

Thank you!!! I've read some of your posts, you are a wealth of good useful info

We just got back and stayed at the K Boutique hotel. It's a few blocks away from the colosseum (walkable) and walked all around Rome (Trevi fountain, etc.) They were very friendly and a nice breakfast was included.

We also arrived very early and they let us keep our luggage there in a locked room for the 1 hour while they got our room ready (still much before their regular checkin time). Wifi in the room was a little spotty though, but wifi in lobby was consistent. Nice rooftop also.

When you stay at a cruiseline hotel, it’s usually a large business hotel that can accommodate a large number of guests. Usually not in the middle of the old town. You can do much better on your own. This applies to any cruiseline and any city.

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 6:16 AM, njkate said:

Doing trans atlantic next April ending in Rome (Civitavecchia) of course we want to spend a few days post cruise there.

The hotel NCL uses is Crowne Plaza Rome- St Peters, is that a good choice or should I try and find another hotel?

It has decent reviews on trip advisor, is about 10 miles from airport, but will we be too far out to see some sites?

OP - did you decide on a hotel in Rome?  We too are in the process of researching hotels and was wondering which one you decided on.

12 hours ago, eurodl said:

OP - did you decide on a hotel in Rome?  We too are in the process of researching hotels and was wondering which one you decided on.

Based on suggestions from 4 people who have actually stayed at this hotel I'm looking at Hotel Lancelot.

My criteria was walking distance to some sites, free wifi, free breakfast and trying to stay under $250 per night.  A few people I know also suggested Santa Maria hotel, so checking them out also before I decide.

I think trip adviser has them rated 3 stars which is fine, I don't need 5 star hotel at $600 per night as I will be out and about most of the day and evening. It's also only for 3 nights also.

https://www.lancelothotel.com/location/

https://www.hotelsantamariatrastevere.it/services.php

Edited by njkate