Dining Room Question

I've got a question about "casual" dress. My family and I aren't a very dressy family, and I noticed the "suggested" casual wear and my kids have nothing like that. Do you think the three of us wearing blue jeans would be frowned upon? I noticed the only thing you really must not wear is a bathing suit, going shirtless and wearing shorts.

Do you think us wearing jeans will be a problem for other people on the board? I'd normally say "F*ck them", but I want this to be a enjoyable cruise and don't feel like getting into anything with anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Other passengers won't say anything to you (they'll just think it) but the maitre'd may encourage you to eat in the Windjammer instead of the main dining room if you're wearing jeans. Enforcement of the "no jeans/no shorts" at dinner is sporadic in the fleet. It depends on the head waiter or Maitre 'D's mood. A cheap pair of khaki's will do for everyone and nobody cares if you wear the same pants in the dining room 3-4 days straight. Some cruisers don't bother with the main dining room and eat all their meals in the Windjammer or Sorrentos. On Sovereign there's a lot of lunch pool side barbeques and a midnight pool side barbeque so missing the main dining room is not an issue.

Most likely the only place you'll get into it with anyone about this "dress" related stuff is here on these boards.

36 cruises later, mostly on Royal Caribbean (and I'm going back to the early eighties with this), I have always worn jeans at least a night or two in the dining room, and certainly have never been alone in doing so.

If your jeans appear clean, no holes, not frayed, etc., and you wear them with a shirt with a collar, even a polo shirt, you should be fine.

I'm not talking about the so-called "formal" nights, though. On those nights you may feel you should eat in Windjammer or another venue because jeans, especially on "Captain's Dinner" formal night (the first one and, if you are on a short cruise, the ONLY formal night), are frowned upon in the dining room then. You could probably "get away" with wearing them, the question is do you want to risk some silly scene.

But you decide -- I would say that on Sovereign on a 3 or 4 night cruise you should have no problem wearing jeans in the dining room other than on "formal" night.

I've got a question about "casual" dress. My family and I aren't a very dressy family, and I noticed the "suggested" casual wear and my kids have nothing like that. Do you think the three of us wearing blue jeans would be frowned upon? I noticed the only thing you really must not wear is a bathing suit, going shirtless and wearing shorts.

Do you think us wearing jeans will be a problem for other people on the board? I'd normally say "F*ck them", but I want this to be a enjoyable cruise and don't feel like getting into anything with anyone.

Thanks in advance.

My DH wore jeans on one of the casual nights to the dining room on AOS and nobody said anything to him. But they were "good" jeans(dark,no frays, no holes) and he wore a polo shirt with them. If he tried to do it several nights...who knows? You can buy a cheap pair of khakis at most discount stores for <$15. Maybe a compromise, jeans a couple nights, khakis the others. No jeans on formal night.

With my kids, I went to the second hand store and bought them shirts, pants, and suit coats. I spent a total of $22.00. You might check into that. I am very glad I did. That way I didn't feel as though people were talking about our clothes behind our backs and we were complimented by other passengers on the ship on how nice they looked.

no holes, no tears (eventho some are paying $50 a pair to get them). Nice top with it, not a halter or dirty slogan T-Shirt. I have black jeans & they can go anywhere at anytime.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Brycee - you are going to get flamed for making this post. I have seen numerous people in the dining room in jeans and even shorts. Most people won't even give a second glance, and I doubt anyone would have the nerve to say anything to you. If they do, they have bigger issues that they themselves need to resolve ;) Go and have fun. Your jeans are fine. Enjoy!

Archived