How does Oceania compare to Celebrity

katiebeth

Would love to hear from those who have sailed on both Celebrity and Oceania as to how they compare.

We have sailed Celebrity exclusively for the past several years but are looking to upgrade our cruising experience.

We are holding space on both the Constellation and Century for a Baltics cruise next year. However, based on our recent cruise on the Millennium (Barcelona to Venice) we are considering other cruise lines. We had a great time on our Med. cruise but our staterooms were in serious need of refurbishment (we had a Royal Suite and connecting CC class room). The service seemed a little lackluster as well compared to other Celebrity cruises we have taken.

We did sail on the Constellation on a British Isles and Norweign Fjords cruise in July of 2003 which we really enjoyed. The Constellation had only be sailing for 10 months and she was very beautiful and in perfect shape.

We love the itinerary that Oceania is offering and like the non-smoking policy. I understand that Oceania is a luxury cruiseline and offers a more upscale cruising experience.

Would love to hear comparisons of the two cruiselines.

Thank you,

Nancy

Hi,

We've sailed on Oceania three times and Celebrity twice. We have taken over 25 cruises of all size ships.

There are lots of posts comparing the two lines, but I'll try to simplify some of it for you.

Size -- Oceania 674 passengers Celebrity over 1,500

Food -- Oceania -- Great Celebrity used to be good -- now ??????

On Oceania there are four dining venues -- you can eat where you want, with whom you want and when you want

There are NO formal nights on Oceania. Dress code is country club casual which means no jeans or cutoffs.

Entertainment -- Oceania -- good Celebrity -- Great!!!!

No big reviews

Go to Oceania's website and order the DVD showing the ships so you can see what they look like.

The one thing I loved about the large Celebrity ships was the Spa Cuisine at breakfast and lunch. But the main dining room on the ship has great salads.

The biggest draw is the smoking rules -- only in a small area on the pool deck and one small area in the Horizons Lounge. It is enforced!!!!!!!!

Sheila

Once on Celebrity, once on Oceania, and some 3 dozen plus cruises total.

We thought Oceania far superior to Celebrity (which we felt was over-rated).

For us, the closest equivalent to Oceania, food and service-wise, would be Crystal, followed by HAL.

Would love to hear from those who have sailed on both Celebrity and Oceania as to how they compare.

Welcome!! I had hoped you would look into Oceania after I responded to your post on Celebrity earlier today.

One of the big draws for us is how casual the ship is and how incredible the service is. The beds are all just as comfortable as what you would expect at home. We have had a bad experience on Celebrity with their beds. When we were on Nautica in June we observed them throwing away what appeared to be almost brand new mattresses and replacing them. As we walked by the dock with the mattresses stacked many feet high we both joked that they were in much much better condition than the best Galaxy had to offer and since Galaxy was docked nearby that they should come and pick them up.

Everybody mentions the food and we echo that sentiment as well.

The other thing you might find on this board is that the people are all so friendly and helpful. This behaviour follows everybody to the ship and just adds to the pleasent experience. My suggestion to you would be to read through these boards to get a general sense of what an Oceania cruise experience is like. You will be amazed when you discover who one of the frequent posters is - just another big plus to Oceania!!

Good luck.

Peter and Sherry

Thank you to those that have taken the time to reply. The more I read about Oceania the more convinced I am that we are making the right decision.

Pecorora ...I can't thank you enough for pointing me in the direction of Oceania. After our last cruise on Celebrity (June 2006 on the Millennium), we felt that we should do a little research on other cruise lines. We are holding space on the Constellation and Century for next summer on Baltics cruise but were not feeling 100% confident that Celebrity was the way we wanted to go. I researched Regent and Crystal but did not like their Baltics itineraries as much as Celebrity. When you suggested Oceania this morning I looked at their website and was THRILLED with their itinerary. I thought that Celebrity had the best Baltics itineraries but Oceania's is even better. I love the idea of two nights and three days in St. Petersburg and cruising the Kiel Canal!!

We have always wanted to try a more upscale line and a smaller ship. It really seems as if everything is falling into place. It really will be nice to try something different.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Thank you,

Nancy

P.S. You have really piqued my interest in regards to who (must be someone famous) posts on the Oceania boards ....any hints??

P.S. You have really piqued my interest in regards to who (must be someone famous) posts on the Oceania boards ....any hints??

You will find it in time. Wouldn't be fair to spoil the fun.

As far as the cabins are concerned, very similar. The categories A and B on Oceania are practically identical to the category 2 on Celebrity Mercury (except that category B does not have a minifridge). Category PH on Oceania is nearly the same as category 1 on Celebrity Mercury.

However, Oceania ships are much smaller (at 30,000 tonnes) and carry fewer passengers (680 versus 1,800). There is less queueing up, the food is better, but then there is little entertainment (no "production shows"). The fare is perhaps 20% to 40% higher, but the two-week itineraries are usually more interesting. The service on Oceania is jovial and fellow passengers are folksy. Give it a try and find out for yourselves!

One cruise on Celebrity (Summit) and one on Oceania (Nautica), we'd have to have a really good itinerary on Celebrity at a really good price to choose X over Oceania, we use to think we could do Princess again, but not anymore. Our Summit experience was in Concierge class and our Oceania was in an A2, A2 is slightly smaller but we felt better laid out for storage and we were quite happy. Food is no comparison, Oceania is much better, same for service for us. Loved the size of the O ship, never waited in line for anything. X gets the push on entertainment, but on a port intensive cruise, that was not a factor for us. Currently debating an Italy land vacation or the O London to Rome cruise next September.....

One cruise on Celebrity (Summit) and one on Oceania (Nautica), we'd have to have a really good itinerary on Celebrity at a really good price to choose X over Oceania, we use to think we could do Princess again, but not anymore. Our Summit experience was in Concierge class and our Oceania was in an A2, A2 is slightly smaller but we felt better laid out for storage and we were quite happy. Food is no comparison, Oceania is much better, same for service for us. Loved the size of the O ship, never waited in line for anything. X gets the push on entertainment, but on a port intensive cruise, that was not a factor for us. Currently debating an Italy land vacation or the O London to Rome cruise next September.....

It sounds also like you might be comparing apples and oranges. I am going on Oceania in January to the Caribbean and Celebrity Millenium in July 2007 to Europe. I think that the smaller ships are going to have better food and service. The larger ships have more amenities but the food is mass produced and there isn't the intimacy with staff and fellow passengers that you get on the smaller ships. It just depends what you are looking for. I am traveling with my 5 year old on the Millenium and he will have a blast and I will have more night life options. I am not taking him on the Oceania and I will probably just read and go to the beach. It is a trade off.

Ok - I'll add my 2c here......

We have been on many Celebrity cruises (Elite members) and 3 Oceania cruises (as well as many other cruiselines). We are a mid-50's couple.

You are used to a RS on Celebrity. We usually get a Royal Suite on Celebrity too, but a PH Suite on Oceania. The RS on Celebrity is far superior, and would probably be more comparable with the OS on Oceania. However, DW is very sensitive to motion, and the smaller ships of Oceania get tossed around a little more, so the OS (at the aft) of the ship or the VS (at the bow) are not real suitable for us. That's why we get a PH1 as close to the middle as possible.

The Oceania PH is closest to the Sky Suite on Celebrity (sans huge balconies on Mercury or Galaxy). It's really a mini-suite. The CC balcony cabins on Oceania are smaller than the CC on Celebrity.

We haven't been on a Celebrity cruise in over a year. We now prefer Oceania for our cruises, and, if our kids (24 and 21) are "tagging" along, we prefer RCCL. My kids would go crazy on an Oceania cruise.

We prefer Oceania for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. Smoking Policy. It is wonderful to be able to breeeeathe!! Yet, smokers can be on the ship - they are just restricted to a couple of very specific areas. Knowing when you check in that your cabin won't have the lingering smell of stale tobacco mixed with perfumed ("odorless") fragrances is great. Also, knowing you can sit out on your balcony and breathe sea air is very refreshing.

2. Dress code. It's simply not an issue (unlike Celebrity). Nobody really seems to care, yet rarely is anyone dressed inappropriately. It's just common sense.

3. Space. No fighting for chairs, etc. (usually!!)

4. Booze smuggling. If you want to bring on a local wine from a port - no problem - just drink it in your cabin, or bring it to the dining room and they will charge a corkage fee. Again, common sense.

5. Food. Quite simply, very, very good. Best food we have experienced at sea. Period. Four different venues for dinner, with no specialty restaurant charges. Eat when you want. Very flexible.

6. Bedding. Very comfortable.

7. Wear and tear. Oceania replaces goods (bedding, soft goods, carpeting) on an ongoing basis (unlike other lines). This gives a very comfortable "feel" to the ship. If anything in your cabin needs replacing - it's done immediately.

8. Size. This allows for easier movement on/off/around the ship. Also, it means the ship can dock more places than larger ships.

9. People. This is just my experience, but the people just tend to seem more relaxed and well-travelled, with little need to impress anyone. There seems to be a lot more courtesy (possibly because they don't have to wait long for anything)

Here's where Celebrity differs from Oceania:

1. Larger ships - perhaps a little more seaworthy.

2. Entertainment. Celebrity has it. To put it kindly, Oceania's entertainment is not their strong suit.

3. Activities. More "things to do" during sea days, for instance.

4. "Dressing up". If you like dressing up for formal nights, Celebrity has it.

5. Night life. Celebrity has it, Oceania kind of shuts down early.

6. Variety of bars and lounges.

7. Cabin size and variety.

8. Younger demographic.

Hope this helps.

9. People. This is just my experience, but the people just tend to seem more relaxed and well-travelled, with little need to impress anyone. There seems to be a lot more courtesy (possibly because they don't have to wait long for anything)

Nancy,

I couldn't agree more with Tim's comment on the fellow travelers. Never encountered pushing, rudeness, etc. I think this harmony translates to the staff as well, who provide excellent, understated, and enjoyable service.

We had an incredible time on Oceania, but to be fair great times on Celebrity as well. That being said, Oceania will always get the edge with us. The big differences being the ship size and decor, food and service. I just feel right at home on those ships.

Joe

The other thing you might find on this board is that the people are all so friendly and helpful. This behaviour follows everybody to the ship and just adds to the pleasent experience.

Peter and Sherry

We too are cruise ship shopping and are going to check out this board. We were on the infamous May 7 Summit West Coast/Alaskan 13 night cruise.

You might recognize my screen name from the Celebrity "war zone" threads. After all of the "socializing" on the Celebrity thread that part of your post sort of hit home! I promise I will try to behave myself.

Thanks

Having cruised on both Celebrity and Oceania in the last couple of years I would largely endorse the previous comments although they both measured up pretty well and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on either line again. With regard to food, while I agree that for food generally Oceania certainly has the edge, if you are a real food lover, I found the speciality restaurant on the Celebrity (Normandy restaurant on Summit) to be exceptional and heads above those on Oceania .... of course Celebrity do charge a modest surcharge whereas on Oceania there is no additional charge for the speciality restaurants.

While Oceania is very good its not in the same league as Seabourn etc with regard to levels of luxury but it still represents excellant value for money.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post. It seems that those posting on the Oceania boards are in general a "happy lot". Based on the Celebrity boards it appears that many of their recent passengers are not "happy campers". I must agree that something is not exactly right with Celebrity right now and it has given us an incentive to look elsewhere. IMHO and based on experience I think Celebrity is falling short in the area of overall ship maintenance and definitely without a doubt in the customer service area.

Cruiser2004 --I love you comment about the "war zone" on the Celebrity boards. It really made me laugh ....it is so true. (heaven forbid anything negative is said at all, no matter how minor). There is a lot of "blaming the victim" going on right now. The Oceania boards are very pleasant and a welcome change.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post. Timbo89 --you summarized the difference so well ....thank you.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

been on both and would have to say that Celebrity is a much better value for the dollar and the experience. However, there is a nickle and dime aspect to both lines.

Not to say that Oceania was horrible but if you are not in port it can be a bit boring unless you want to "measure" your stead in life with the other passengers.

I know that people rave about the food and it is pretty good, but it is not fine dining. If that is what you are interested in the restaurants on land will provide more options.

Here is an example of the nickle and diming aspect of Oceania... I ordered a nice bottle of wine...like we did most 13 nights out of 14. When the bill came I saw I was charged for a very inexpensive bottle ($25 vs. $80) Being honest, I pointed this out to the waiter and of course got the revised bill, which I was happy to sign for. On the last night, I brought a bottle of wine to the dining room and was very surprised that the corkage fee of $20 was assessed. No problem, but very cheap on the part of the line. No "buyback" policy here. Squeeze every buck from them folks is the mantra.

Oceania, mid size ship less options but still not the intimate experience you would expect.

Unless the itinerary is spectacularly unique there are better places to spend you travel dollar than Oceania.

Are there any dance floors such as the Rendezvous on Celebrity? After a few cruises the shows on Celebrity are repetitive and dancing opportunities are more important to us. Is their a library with suitable choice and are their any trivia activities?

We are at the point where ports of call are not as important anymore but we still enjoy life at sea. We do value great deals and are always on the lookout for sailing options. Perhaps there may be an Oceanic trip in the future. Are all the ships similar?

Will be giving Oceania a try next yr. Barcelona to Athens, can't wait. does anyone know how the weather will be that time of yr?

But you didn't say what time of year!?!?

Nevertheless, most of the Mediterranean is similar in climate to Southern California...

Think of May in So Cal...pretty much what May is like in Naples or Athens or Barcelona...

Think of what August is like in So Cal, that's what August will be like...

As to C2C's question about Trivia: We just got off the NAutica...They had "Team Trivia" daily, usually at 4:30-5:30...

And there was a Daily written trivia quiz found on a table on Deck 4...(Funny to watch the folks up in the library or on the internet researching the answers)...

And "Name that Tune" twice in 14 nights at the piano bar...by teams...

But ALL of the Trivia contests were for "points", not prizes...

My "team" won the Team Trivia several times and came in second most of the rest...I showed up for Name that Tune once and was on the winning team...and I didn't discover the Deck 4 sheet untile the last six days, but won it four times...All of that amassed me "80 points"...which I was able to cash in for one vinyl rolling Oceania tote bag (could have had two T-shirts, but they didn't have them in my size)...

As to the main question, I had a very nice cruise on Oceania, but I still prefer Celebrity---mostly since there's more to do, more off-hours food availability, more amenities and better entertainment...

Food is close with Oceania getting a slight nod...

Service is close (both good) but with Celebrity getting a clear nod in the Main Dining Room department...

I like Oceania's no formal night policy and the no smoking policy...

Celebrity's cabins are a touch roomier, though both are ample...

Both have some excellent itineraries (depends where you want to go, I guess)...

Both have elegantly appointed ships...

Really, the crowds are pretty much the same, with Celebrity having a SLIGHTLY younger demographic (thanks, in part, to having kids and teens progras available)

I like Celebrity's traditional dining seatings, though both Celebrity's traditional and Oceania's Open Seating have their merits...

To be entirely truthful, BOTH are very good cruise lines and you can have a very enjoyable cruise experience on EITHER...Which you prefer is a matter of taste and priorities...There is no clear answer that works for everyone and anyone who tells you one or the other is definitely better is merely imposing their own biases or values...The question is which is better for YOU...and that depends a lot on what you're looking for...Both lines do some things bnetter and some things not as good...But BOTH will give you an enjoyable cruise and a decent value...

To be entirely truthful, BOTH are very good cruise lines and you can have a very enjoyable cruise experience on EITHER...Which you prefer is a matter of taste and priorities...

Nice to hear an appraisal without trashing either line. As soon as I no longer want to haul my tux, I'll know where to go. That no smoking policy is a real plus as well.

Is there an opportunity to dance every evening during cocktail hour? The Rendezvous has become a daily event for us.

We have sailed Celebrity 5 times most recently in Feb on Century and had a Baltic cruise booked for this month also on Century. We returned from the carribbean and cancelled our cruise and booked Oceania.Century was awful. Oceania is wonderful for all the reasons posted so far. We sdailed in a PH Suite last year Dover to Rome. It was our best cruise yet.

Bernadette

We have sailed Celebrity 5 times most recently in Feb on Century and had a Baltic cruise booked for this month also on Century.

Bernadette

We cruised the Baltic on Century in May 2005. We loved the ship so much we are booked for 3 B2B2B cruises in October, including the TA crossing. What did you not like about Century?

Archived