tipping

gulf rider

Hello, is there any advantage to tipping your room stewart at the begining

of the cruise ,,,,,do you get better service ----I cruise on 7june 2010 the ship is almost full .....

It's "stewarD" (not stewart)...and no, I've never found anything but exemplary service from the steward, whether he/she has been tipped in the beginning, the end, or through the now-instituted auto-tipping that occurs on most lines.

What line are you cruising on? Are you sure your tips haven't already been either pre-paid, or are set to be added on at the end of your cruise, and paid for, automatically?

You will read people stating they get special service by pre-tipping, but we've always gotten the same "special service" without doing so.

They list things like: ice twice a day, extra pillows, blankets, towels, etc... but those are things the cabin steward will do simply for the asking.

We will give extra gratuity to those who give us exemplary service, but at the end of the cruise as a thank you. Not at the beginning as a bribe.

I have never bribed a cruise ship employee up front and have always received outstanding service.

bribed:confused: while i can't argue with your logic (do the same) sounds harsh when put like that.

I have tipped early in the cruise, but only after I felt the stewad had gone above and beyond. I asked for a few things to be taken care of when I first met the steward (egg crate, extra top sheet, robes, empty fridge, etc) and told him that I understood day 1 was busy and they could wait for day 2. These items wer all taken care of before we got back from lunch. While these requests fall within his job, I still wanted to show it was appreciated.

Must be me...we never really want anything that I would call exceptional, seldom see the room steward, & the dining waiters just take the order & bring the food. We give the tips we are told to/asked for when they become due.

Archived