Holiday Cruise

Do the holiday cruises have something extra? Why are they so much more expensive?

They might have a champagne event if the cruise includes New Years Eve. At Christmas and New Years, they usually decorate the ship too; apart from that, probably not. Many people have Christmas and/or New Years week off and the kiddos are out of school too, thus, the demand is high. Since the demand is higher, the cruise lines charge more. It is the same situation in the summer months; people have vacation time and the kids are out of school, so the summer months are higher than the rest of the year (except Christmas & New Years week). Sometimes you can get a reasonable price on Thanksgiving week cruises.

Do the holiday cruises have something extra? Why are they so much more expensive?

I was a bit confused when I read this post, aren't all cruises holidays. Then I remembered (silly me) to those in the US time spent away anywhere having a good time is called a vacation where to us its a holiday. Ahh the complexities of the English language

It's called supply and demand

Agreed. They know people will pay extra. We cruised last over last Christmas on Oasis. While it was a great cruise, I wouldn't cruise that same week again unless I really had to.

We only booked that week because it was the only week we could work around my son's grad school schedule.

They had a carol sing along on either Christmas Day or Christmas Eve. Besides that I didn't really notice any special Christmas events. Santa was there for the little ones but we never saw him.

We paid an outrageous amount for my group of 6 for a "special" Christmas Eve dinner in the Italian restaurant. While the dinner was nice and service excellent, it did not deserve the big ticket price in any way. Usual menu with some added champagne and some lobster tails. I think it would have been just as nice in the MDR.

This year we are going the week prior to Christmas and will be home for Christmas Eve. I like being home for Christmas!

Our kids are all grown and on their own, so we've actually enjoyed going during the holiday. Warmer climate and all the wonderful things about Christmas without the hassle of decorating ourselves! I tease my husband that he hates that part of the holidays so much, he'd rather spend the money and take me on a cruise! I'm certainly not complaining! lol