1 week car trip from Montreal in September

I would appreciate suggestions for a one week scenic car trip from Montreal in September.

I'm thinking of including Mont Tremblant, which I've visited in winter.

Either northwest including Mt. Treblant or Northeast to Quebec City and on to La Malbaie (formerly Murray Bay) Gorgeous scenery on the north shore of the river and you shouldn't miss Quebec city

Either northwest including Mt. Treblant or Northeast to Quebec City and on to La Malbaie (formerly Murray Bay) Gorgeous scenery on the north shore of the river and you shouldn't miss Quebec city

Thank you.

We have visited Quebec, a really beautiful city, and will be spending a half a day there this trip.

My husband prefers to keep away from cities, when he is driving (on the wrong side of the road).

Thank you.

We have visited Quebec, a really beautiful city, and will be spending a half a day there this trip.

My husband prefers to keep away from cities, when he is driving (on the wrong side of the road).

Montreal to Cowansville, Lac Brome, Lake Memphramagog (as beautiful as anything in Scotland) , St. Benoit du Lac, North Hatley, Ayers Cliff.

or St. Jovite (for Mt Tremblant) down to Montebello and back to Montreal.

contact Quebec tourism on the web.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/accueil0.html

Montreal to Cowansville, Lac Brome, Lake Memphramagog (as beautiful as anything in Scotland) , St. Benoit du Lac, North Hatley, Ayers Cliff.

or St. Jovite (for Mt Tremblant) down to Montebello and back to Montreal.

Thank you. I'll get out my old Canada Road Atlas, as well as check out the Quebec tourism website.

Will be spending 5 days in quebec city before our cruise oct 15. has anyone been to ile de orleans island? really want to go for a day trip, is it better to rent a car or is there a tour or shuttle bus? want to do something different. any tips are welcome.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I would appreciate suggestions for a one week scenic car trip from Montreal in September.

I'm thinking of including Mont Tremblant, which I've visited in winter.

You can drive to the Eastern Townships - stay overnight at Auberge Ripplecove in Ayer's Cliff, drive on to North Hatley, a picturesque village on Lake Memphremagog, spend the day shopping and picnicking, then stay at the Manoir Hovey where you will be spoiled with 5* service and food. Nicole Kidman and Anthony Hopkins stayed here during the filming of "The Human Stain". It is a beautiful site and lots to do - canoeing, biking (free bikes available) and of course - relaxing!

You can drive to the Eastern Townships - stay overnight at Auberge Ripplecove in Ayer's Cliff, drive on to North Hatley, a picturesque village on Lake Memphremagog, spend the day shopping and picnicking, then stay at the Manoir Hovey where you will be spoiled with 5* service and food. Nicole Kidman and Anthony Hopkins stayed here during the filming of "The Human Stain". It is a beautiful site and lots to do - canoeing, biking (free bikes available) and of course - relaxing!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Manoir Hovey looks like a special place well worth a visit.

We plan to combine your suggestions with those by Earl Rosebery.

I noticed that you are from Newfoundland originally. Would you mind offering suggestions to my question raised under the following thread, under Canada -

Newfoundland - Saint John's

We plan to combine your suggestions above with those offered by Backstage Traveller, so I'm looking forward to a wonderful trip.

Thanks once again.

Hi Marion and Barry,

If you pass through Magog and are looking for a place to spend the night, we have also stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Café Crème - you can google the website, but it is only in french, unfortunately. It is a lovely place, and although we stayed there many years ago, the photos on the site look pretty much the same (except they have added a jacuzzi tub outside). The owners are very nice and breakfast was good. It also costs a lot less than Ripplecove or Hovey, so perhaps a break here would help to lower costs for you a bit.

I will look at your thread on Newfoundland to see if I can help.

Will be spending 5 days in quebec city before our cruise oct 15. has anyone been to ile de orleans island? really want to go for a day trip, is it better to rent a car or is there a tour or shuttle bus? want to do something different. any tips are welcome.

thanks

We rented a car and drove around Ile de Orleans Island. Once you get on the island there is a visitor information center which sells audio tour and we did that. Talks about the history and farming of the land. We did the whole island and it is different from one side to another.

thanks

I would recommend that you do what we did during a nice vacation in Quebec during late September...........stay in one or more of the many, many B&Bs and inns on the island, and drive to the old city for day visits. The nightly rate will probably be cheaper, and you will get a wonderful experience by visiting with the people of the area. It will take a full day just to tour the island. And, then there are the falls (just off of the island bridge), etc.

http://www.tourismeiledorleans.com/introang.html

There are many more than the above website lists, probably about 100 small establishments on the island. When we were there about five years ago we found an information office just as we entered the island from the bridge, which was very helpful. They helped find a place for the first night, which we extended a couple of more nights. After touring further north for a few days we returned to the information office, which located another B&B for a night.

• 3 weeks later...

You can also come into Ontario to the mouth of the St. Lawrence - the 1000 Island region. There are lots of river cruises that last 2 to 4 hours. This area is about 2 hours west of Montreal.

Also there are river cruises that include the St Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers - these can be 2 to 5 days.

The later in September you are, the more colourful the leaves will be.

Archived