Help With Travel Decisions to get to OIA- Bucket List Stop

RAIDERMOM

Hello

Santorini is on my bucket list but getting a little dismayed about what I am reading.. Dreaded long lines for the cable cars (which I am afraid of), would never ride a donkey (poor animals), all those steps covered with donkey poo....

I have read there is a speedboat available at the pier (see below).. has anyone recently used them and is it correct that we can buy once off the boat? We are only in port from 2 p.m - 9:00 p.m.- I think I saw there are 4 other ships in port with us.. does this mean hours of waiting to get off of the cruise port?:confused:

An excellent solution, offered by a traveller on Cruise-Critic did the trick. Right at the port, beside the line to the cable car, are two store fronts advertizing boat transfers to Oia. One is a high-speed boat. No reservations required, walk up and buy a 20 euro ticket and get on the fast ferry. A 12 minute run takes you to the port at Oia.

There were a couple of companies I believe and the the boat will leave once filled up. I don’t blame you for skipping the donkeys. I’ve never seen such appalling conditions and some of them look really sick. Do keep in mind that you won’t be able to take that same boat from Oia back to the pier. You’ll need to bus to Fira and take cable car or walk down to tender port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Santorini decades ago and also this October 2017. I took a ship's tour to Oia and am so glad I did. It was lovely and was very much like Santorini used to be. It was Ohi day so there was a children's parade and celebration. Then I went to Santorini and was dismayed that it was so extremely commercial. I didn't wait until the last moment, but there was no line to take the cable car back down to the port and we got right on.

I would love to see Santorini and Oia...

What can I do if I have some pretty bad vertigo.

I just can't see myself getting on those little cable cars and going over that drop.

Ohhhh NO!!!!!

If you can go over to the other port below Oia by boat when you arrive, I wonder why this isn't possible to return?