Got off the Breeze on Sunday 6/28 (2nd trip)

This was my 2nd cruise aboard the breeze- My last was october 2013. I chose this cruise to propose to my girlfriend and chose this ship because of how nice it was in 2013. I was extremely impressed with the food, service, and how nice the ship was. It was a new ship!

This cruise... First off.. She said yes, which started the cruise off right (of course i was certain she would or I wouldn't have chosen a time we'd be trapped together for 7 more days)

Carnival called with a room upgrade for a nominal fee which I took, and was happy about- And the room was nice ;-)

There were some hiccups this trip.. Some relatively minor annoyances, some kinda big pains.

1st we boarded the ship and started setting up our stateroom- hanging clothes, setting up toiletries, socks and underwear... all that stuff and wanted to check the dinner menu for the night... The remote to the TV didn't work. No prob, we called maintenance and got another brought to us which turned the tv on and the maintenance guy left. After a while, I tried the menu again only to find that the remote that was brought to us had several buttons that didn't work. Didn't feel like waiting on maintenance again, headed to serenity.

Really nice leaving port- what a feeling ;-) Dinner was good- our dinner companions were really good people. We fed the slot machines for a bit, and had a great first night- girlfriend now fiancé and all smiles with her ring!

I was noticing as we walked around there was quite a bit more wear on the ship than last time.. the Mini golf course had several spots that the turf was ripped up and had gone without repair. Some nice decorative appointments had been vandalized and broken, and some elevators had graffiti scratched into the metal... such a shame people treat things like that.

We had a couple of really nice days at sea. E (fiancé) looked fresh from the lobster pot... picked up a 3rd remote that was working, enjoyed a nice Lobster tail and prime rib dinner, the food is Really good- and I have pretty high standards on food having a strong background in culinary arts. The quality that they are turning out with the volume of food is pretty remarkable.

The hiccups get a bit worse....

St Maartin. First of just a bit of info- a lot of the beaches are covered in seaweed right now. I heard from a few people who booked excursions that were pretty unhappy that the beaches were so nasty. We went to Pinel on the french side- which was really nice. We made it back to the ship about 3:30 or 4 pretty hungry having not eaten since breakfast aboard as we came into port. We grabbed a Guy's burger as we had the 8:15 dinner seating. we had been snorkeling on Pinel so we decided to rest a bit before dinner.... it was maybe 6:30 so before we both became violently ill and I found myself going to the giftshop to get anything i though might help...nothing did and we both started vomiting until there was nothing left. We felt better after a bit but we both just felt like lying in bed till morning. I went to guest services to let them know that we'd gotten quite ill from eating at guys burgers (i think it was the toppings not the burgers) and that they might keep a closer eye sanitation at the toppings bar. I was really nice about it, not holding anyone accountable, just letting them know. The girl was pretty offensive about it wanting to know why I hadn't reported it the night before.. she was interrogating me like she didn't believe me.. I just said ok thank you, and went about my day in St. Kitts.

Snorkeling at friars bay was really nice! We had a great day! Got a ton of underwater pics, video, great corals, beautiful fish... walking the town was fun, picked up some souvenirs, really nice day! we ate a little bit off ship to hold us until dinner. Dinner was really good as usual and we spent the night in the roaming promenade, we went into the shops and a crew member asked if i was feeling better- She had seen me the night before while I was buying medicines and said she knew I was having a rough time. I told her we had eaten at guys and gotten really sick- she said- Thats why I don't eat there, Ive know a lot of people to get sick there. I know its probably a small percentage of folks who get violently ill from eating there as many burgers as they are passing out, but for us to have gotten that ill and for the crew to confirm that she won't eat there for fear of getting sick, it shows me that we certainly weren't the first... certainly not strange enough to warrant the interrogation we got at guest services.

Maintenance issues get a bit worse...

San Juan- Wow- what a neat place!! The fortresses are awesome. The town is full of history and the people we ran into were friendly. We did run into a guy who had been mugged, so don't be stupid. Unfortunately, it was a short day and we had to be back aboard at 1:30. You can get off the ship at 7am, but nothing is open until 9, so we got back aboard and had breakfast then went back in to the town at 8:30ish. Back aboard and hanging out on serenity, we decided to go to Cucina di Capitano for dinner- in 2013 this place was incredible... comparable to some of the food I'd eaten while in italy. This time, disappointing. though the menu was the same, the preparation was not. The braised short ribs were terrible. (last time they were awesome) most of what we ate was bland and pretty boring. The tiramisu was still pretty good, but even it was not what it was. Booo

Back to the room, no water. no drinking water, no showers, no washing hands, no brushing your teeth, flushing toilets nothing..... Tried to call guest services... no answer. Went to guest services to report the water outage in our room and got a visibly irritated rep who was quick to let me know that is was a whole ship problem. Another crew member probably an officer could see that she was jumping down my throat (i was probably the 499th person to let her know) and explained that the main water line on the ship had failed and would be fixed in an hour and a half or so. Ok no biggie- things happen right? we just went to bed-

Grand Turk- still no water.... Cruise director makes an announcement that the water will be fixed taking 1 hour between 11am and 12am. Ok- still no showers, but we are going snorkeling so whatever i guess. Found lots of really nice Conch shells, neat beach, but not much to do- unless you want to hangout at margaritaville with standing room only in the pool jamming out to some loud top 40.

Back aboard at 2ish still no water- got back off the ship and walked around the jewery stores to kill time. Why would a guy wearing a carnival name tag come in to the store on the shore and try to close us on a $2000 ring..... we'd never talked to him before... but all of the sudden Brendon was giving us the hard close... Got back on the ship and relaxed in the room. got announcement that water was all fixed.... We were kinda napping, so didnt get up right away. But when I did, I was pretty hot so I just got into the shower and turned on the water. ahhh- nice cool water.... I put my head under the water face down and open my eyes..... Lord i must have been dirty!!!!! wait.. theres no way... I shut off the water and turn on the sink to find dark brown water coming out..... Ok... this is the first time I've gotten upset with these issues. I went to guest services dripping wet with brown water and a picture of my sink (which ended up clogging after running it a while trying to get it to clear up) guest services is a madhouse. People are throwing a fit about the lack of hot water.... I told a couple of people at least your clod water doesn't look like mine- and showed my picture of the water. Jaws dropped. I told guest services that I was pretty upset about having this water all over me to which the guy cut me off telling me it was a ship wide issue. (i thought it was pretty rude for him to talk over me and let him know pretty quick that i didn't appreciate it.) I explained my frustration that they should not have announced it repaired if the water was going to be dark brown and cold. He said he "opened a case". i went up to the top of the ship to watch us leave port (most of which i'd missed) and couldn't help but notice that the waterworks was dumping hundreds of gallons of clear water over the kids playing... I really wanted to grab my trunks and a bar of soap and head to the waterworks in protest. At dinner the ship guests were offered a complimentary beer or glass of wine and an apology for the inconvenience of not having water. Really?

Last full day Seaday.... Our water is still brown, but not as bad as it was. Maintenance finally comes by to clear our drain but leaves because he doesn't want to wait 2 minutes for me to get out of the bathroom. (my fiancé had answered the door) I ended up chasing him down the hallway to get the drain fixed.- A lot of black junk that looked like it had been building up a while.

I decided the water was finally clear enough that I wanted to take a shower in it so finally got clean. Had a great night with our dinner friends and excused ourselves about midnight to get to bed for an early debark- Self assist 7:45...

Really??? a careless capper.....

Debark

We had packed the day before so it would be quick and easy-- grab breakfast and get off self assist right?? just before leaving the room, we needed to open the safe one last time to get our documents and wallets.... only the battery was dead on the safe. I called guest services to let them know to send someone -She says no problem sir, we'll have someone there as soon as possible. 30 minutes goes by... nobody.. 45.. nobody.. I call back and am waiting for an answer... I stay on hold for 30 minutes waiting for guest services to pick up... I didn't want to leave because the guy might come while I was gone... I finally handed the phone to E and headed to the guest services deck where i wait in line and report that there has still been noone show to the room. He calls maintenance who informs him that they had never even gotten a call about it. Nice.... be the time I got back to the room maintenance had already opened it and we were able to leave. We missed breakfast, and had to fight through a huge crowd to debark (i think most all decks and zones had been called) of course this was a huge delay debarking after most all decks had been called and another getting through customs...

Overall, we had a good time, I just felt like Carnival dropped the ball a few times and REALLY mishandled some of these situations. Had i been with a woman who was not so easy going, this trip could easily have turned into a nightmare.

The dinner food was really good- the brunch was great! (except for the hollandaise cooking on the eggs benedict with the cover on the plate -but that stuff is minor) Our cabin steward was really good, most of the crew was fantastic.

ports of call were awesome and places I love to see again (except maybe grand turk)

I'm going on the breeze in August. Hope they have the water fixed. Stinks that you had those problems. And these weren't nit picky things. No water for that long is tough. But I'm glad you had a good time overall. Good attitude there.

Just actually booked the Breeze last night for a December cruise. Hope they do get that straightened out soon. Sorry you and your fiancé had to endure all that along with the rest of the ship. We are still looking forward to this ship wanted to book it before it leaves Florida. Our sink on the Glory few weeks back stayed clogged up also, my DH just removed the whole stopper for the rest of the cruise to alleviate the sink filling up. Sometimes you just have to improvise.

Hey there, thanks for the review. Sorry you had to deal with the issues you had. Sounds like there were some definite bummers.

Question for you, when we were on the Breeze in Feb. Guy's was open from like 12-2:30 and 6-9. Our first cruise with a Guys - it was open from like 12-6. What were the hours on your cruise?

Just curious since we will be back on the breeze next Feb.

Thanks

Hey there, thanks for the review. Sorry you had to deal with the issues you had. Sounds like there were some definite bummers.

Question for you, when we were on the Breeze in Feb. Guy's was open from like 12-2:30 and 6-9. Our first cruise with a Guys - it was open from like 12-6. What were the hours on your cruise?

Just curious since we will be back on the breeze next Feb.

Thanks

Sorry, no idea... we only ate there that once and i wasn't wearing a watch most of the cruise, so times are kind of a guess... lol

Checked my FUNTIMES (yes i keep them) it was open 12-6

Edited by madeintheshade

Sorry, no idea... we only ate there that once and i wasn't wearing a watch most of the cruise, so times are kind of a guess... lol

Hello, so sorry for your upsetting "issues". I admire your patience & attitude!

We will be doing the same itinerary in 2.5 weeks. I'd gladly pay you $25 for a photo copy of the Fun Times. Just let me know.

Sam

Hello, so sorry for your upsetting "issues". I admire your patience & attitude!

We will be doing the same itinerary in 2.5 weeks. I'd gladly pay you $25 for a photo copy of the Fun Times. Just let me know.

Sam

Id be happy to. Can you PM on this board?

Thanks for the info!

... We grabbed a Guy's burger as we had the 8:15 dinner seating... it was maybe 6:30 so before we both became violently ill...and we both started vomiting until there was nothing left. We felt better after a bit but we both just felt like lying in bed till morning.

I'm just off the Breeze, too. I plan on writing a review.

Regrading Guys - they were open 12p - 6p on our cruise.

I did a B2B, starting on 6/20. Each cruise I ate at Guy's once. The following day each time, I fell ill. It wasn't pretty.

Edited by RPS99SHO

Thanks for taking the time to review, madeintheshade. I'm sorry you had to deal with the ship not having water, getting sick and the battery on the safe dying on you. Rotten luck! I'm glad to hear you and your fiancee (!) had a great time regardless. You have a wonderful attitude. Congrats on your engagement!

I'm going on the Breeze 8/1 and am a little concerned about sanitation at Guy's after your comments (and a few others who posted after you). We had Guy's burgers many times on the Sunshine and had no issues. Hopefully they figure out the problem! Otherwise, I guess I will just get a pig patty and not put any additional toppings on!