Laem chabang

cookie at home

Does anyone know if we can get a bus into Bangkok from this port or is it best to do the ship tour " Bangkok on your own " which basically drives you into the city drops you off at a designated area where you have free time for a couple of hours then takes you back to the ship .

All suggestions welcomed :)

Does anyone know if we can get a bus into Bangkok from this port or is it best to do the ship tour " Bangkok on your own " which basically drives you into the city drops you off at a designated area where you have free time for a couple of hours then takes you back to the ship .

All suggestions welcomed :)

Ship had a shuttle both days in Bankok, on the Dec 2 Ocean "P"

From my experience, if the trip to Bangkok only takes 90 minutes, that would be on a good day...it's more like two hours. Last year we were in Laem Chabang on AMSTERDAM for an overnight and took the bus to town both days. I would never do that again. Next time we would opt to go to town the first morning, stay somewhere overnight, and then come back the next afternoon for the sailaway. Out of the two day period, we spent 8 hours total in transit back and forth to Laem Chabang (not an efficient use of our tourism time).

Before we went, we had read that Bangkok had the worst traffic IN THE WORLD!!! I saw nothing to indicate that was not the case. We are talking gridlock as far as you can see; i.e., sitting at a red light at an intersection and not moving for twenty minutes. You can't begin to contemplate the size of this place and the fact that everyone seems to drive a vehicle (and I'm a Northeast Corridor person...Boston, NYC, Phila, DC).

All that being said...I love the place...friendly people...outstanding food (if you can put it on a stick and grill it, they eat it)...great shopping..outstanding temple architecture.

Bob

Bob, I am not disagreeing you, but our trip was ninety minutes each way. But, I agree that traffic can easily play a role and 90 minutes can become 2 hours. I think the point is that it is not a short drive.

We stayed overnight at a hotel as well.

Keith

- Frequent first and second class bus services directly connect Laem Chabang with Ekamai (Bangkok's Eastern Bus Terminal, on Sukhumvit); A first class air-con bus (blue and white) will usually take 90 minutes or less; the fare is around 100 baht. A good way to make the most of a quick visit is to board an Ekamai bus and then disembark early at the On Nut Skytrain Station on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok (the bus will always pause here provided a passenger requests it); in the opposite direction, use the Ekamai Skytrain Station and board the bus at the terminus.

picked up the above on the web, the second option misses the city traffic by using the SkyTrain. It's the way we aim to go in January - but we're overnighting in Bangkok, so if we foul-up we've got about 30 hours to sort ourselves out ;).

A one-way taxi is about 2600 baht for four people, or minibus about 5000 baht, again one-way. Our ship is offering "Bangkok on your own" for about $47

Just to stress, this is what's on the web, not personal experience.

John Bull

Archived