Thinking of a 2019 voyage on QM2?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:11 AM.
#2
Pennsylvania
5,637 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I couldn't figure out the changes on my tablet and I'm not going to mother printing it. Did you see any differences?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#3
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Thanks for the heads up, Salacia.

First of all, it should be noted that the deck plan link on the Queen Mary 2 page of cunard.com for "2017 - 2018 Cruises" isn't quite up to date. It is missing a few updates such as the "Photo Studio" that was added on deck 12 where the port section of "The Fairways" used to be. Here are links to the more up-to-date 2017-2018 deck plans along with the new 2019 deck plans to facilitate comparison.

Current 2017-2018: https://www.cunard.com/Documents/201...ns-2017-18.pdf
New 2019: http://www.cunard.com/Documents/2019...plans-2019.pdf

I have been struggling to find the differences between these two sets of deck plans. So far all I have found is that ten of the Oceanview cabins on deck 6 (cabins 6013 through 6029) and six of the Oceanview cabins on deck 5 (cabins 5001 through 5006) no longer have the square symbol designating them as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds". I'm not sure what to make of that.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#4
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
I couldn't figure out the changes on my tablet and I'm not going to mother printing it. Did you see any differences?
Guessing there must be changes, otherwise there wouldn't be a different set of deck plans? I can't be right on what I'm seeing...CALLING BLUE MARBLE TO THE RESCUE
#5
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Salacia
Guessing there must be changes, otherwise there wouldn't be a different set of deck plans? I can't be right on what I'm seeing...CALLING BLUE MARBLE TO THE RESCUE
Right on cue. See my previous post. I'll keep looking and check back in if I find anything more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#6
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
Right on cue. See my previous post. I'll keep looking and check back in if I find anything more.
Thanks bluemarble. It's the change in cabin categories I'm looking at with interest.
#7
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Three of the inside cabins forward on deck 9 (9012 through 9016) are also missing the square symbol for "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds" on the new 2019 deck plans. I don't see any changes in cabin categories yet.

Edit: Also eleven of the inside cabins forward on deck 6 within the range of 6003 through 6030 are missing that square symbol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#8
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
Three of the inside cabins forward on deck 9 (9012 through 9016) are also missing the square symbol for "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds" on the new 2019 deck plans. I don't see any changes in cabin categories yet.

Edit: Also eleven of the inside cabins forward on deck 6 within the range of 6003 through 6030 are missing that square symbol.
Thanks bluemarble. I'll take another look at the plans tomorrow after a good rest. (What was that category that proved so mysterious years ago? 'B' something?) -Cheers, -Salacia
#9
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
The stateroom category legend has been modified for category Q7. The legend reads "Midships High Decks 8,9" on the 2017-2018 deck plans but it reads "Midships High Deck 9" and "Aft High Deck 8" on the 2019 deck plans for category Q7. The Q7 cabins on deck 8 are and still will be at the far aft end of the "Mid Aft" range of cabins, so this appears to be nothing more than a clarification in the legend.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#10
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Salacia
Thanks bluemarble. I'll take another look at the plans tomorrow after a good rest. (What was that category that proved so mysterious years ago? 'B' something?) -Cheers, -Salacia
Ah, yes, Salacia. That was balcony category B5. On QM2 deck plans from 2006, category B5 was assigned to the obstructed view balconies on deck 8. Then a few years later, category B5 was assigned to the four aft-most sheltered balconies on deck 4 above the G32 night club and the obstructed view balconies on deck 8 became category A4. But for quite some time after that change, a lot of places (including cunard.com itself) still listed category B5 as having obstructed views.

Here is that headache-inducing thread from September, 2010, only a few months after we both joined Cruise Critic.

The difference between A4 and B5?

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#11
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I have studied the new 2019 deck plans some more and there are two more trivial changes to the Stateroom Category legend that I didn't spot before.

Standard Inside category IE is listed as "Forward/Aft High Decks 9,10 Low Decks 5,6" on the 2017-2018 deck plans. That has been changed to "Forward High Decks 9,10" and "Aft Low Decks 5,6" on the 2019 deck plans.

Single Oceanview category KC is listed as "Mid Aft Low Deck 3" on the 2017-2018 deck plans. That has been changed to "Midships Low Deck 3" on the 2019 deck plans.

I cannot find any differences in cabin categories. All I can find that could be considered substantive changes are what I previously reported above. The following cabins are no longer designated as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds".

Inside cabins 9012, 9014, 9016, 6003, 6004, 6006, 6007, 6011, 6012,6015, 6019, 6023, 6027, 6030

Oceanview cabins 6013, 6014, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6020, 6021, 6022, 6025, 6029, 5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5006

I suppose one might come to the conclusion that these cabins are being converted to two-passenger occupancy only in 2019. But I have nothing to support this conclusion other than what the new deck plans are showing. Anyway, that's all I have been able to find that's different on the new 2019 deck plans.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#12
NY Metro Area
418 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by bluemarble
The following cabins are no longer designated as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds".





I suppose one might come to the conclusion that these cabins are being converted to two-passenger occupancy only in 2019.

How odd. Those ceiling mounted bunks are physically part of the room, so I can't imagine they will actually remove them. It's not like the sofa beds in the balcony cabins, where you might just replace the sofa with one w/o the bed.





Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#13
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
384 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by karl_nj
How odd. Those ceiling mounted bunks are physically part of the room, so I can't imagine they will actually remove them. It's not like the sofa beds in the balcony cabins, where you might just replace the sofa with one w/o the bed.





Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Suspect you are right they will leave the extra berths in situ but not sell them.

Since remastering, the ship carries more guests and more crew so perhaps it is a capacity based change? Ultimately capacity is not the number of berths but the number of spaces in the survival craft.

Looking at it on a purely financial basis it will be better to have a strategy to sell out all premium space and retire some of the less expensive berths, in other words if all or many of the current 4 person cabins were already sold at maximum capacity on a voyage it may reduce what they can sell further up the price range. So maybe a marketing driven adjustment of available inventory? Looks like they are readying deck plans for the spring 2019 and onwards programme.

I've no insider knowledge so just based on my thoughts on the changes to the deck plan.

M-AR
#14
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Suspect you are right they will leave the extra berths in situ but not sell them.

Since remastering, the ship carries more guests and more crew so perhaps it is a capacity based change? Ultimately capacity is not the number of berths but the number of spaces in the survival craft.

Looking at it on a purely financial basis it will be better to have a strategy to sell out all premium space and retire some of the less expensive berths, in other words if all or many of the current 4 person cabins were already sold at maximum capacity on a voyage it may reduce what they can sell further up the price range. So maybe a marketing driven adjustment of available inventory? Looks like they are readying deck plans for the spring 2019 and onwards programme.

I've no insider knowledge so just based on my thoughts on the changes to the deck plan.

M-AR
I'm wondering now if any of those inside or oceanview cabins I have listed above can actually be booked now for more than two passengers. I have tried doing partial bookings on about a dozen different QM2 voyages on sale now for 2017 and 2018 where cabins on this list show as available for 2 passengers but they are not available to book for 3 passengers.

Perhaps the new 2019 deck plans are just catching up with what is already the situation with these cabins. I like the theory that this change may have been introduced after the remastering project as an adjustment for the capacity increase from the new cabins that were added during the remastering.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#15
Pennsylvania
5,637 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
I like the theory that this change may have been introduced after the remastering project as an adjustment for the capacity increase from the new cabins that were added during the remastering.
I suppose it does help address how Cunard was able to add so many staterooms and expand BC dining without affecting Britannia capacity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#16
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
Ah, yes, Salacia. That was balcony category B5. On QM2 deck plans from 2006, category B5 was assigned to the obstructed view balconies on deck 8. Then a few years later, category B5 was assigned to the four aft-most sheltered balconies on deck 4 above the G32 night club and the obstructed view balconies on deck 8 became category A4. But for quite some time after that change, a lot of places (including cunard.com itself) still listed category B5 as having obstructed views.

Here is that headache-inducing thread from September, 2010, only a few months after we both joined Cruise Critic.

The difference between A4 and B5?

Regards,
John
oh, YES, I remember now - it was actually a lot of fun, that headache inducing thread. As a result,
we booked Cat B5 Guar just out of curiosity, and magically got upgraded to Britannia Club. Our table mates on the table for six were great company (we all did our own thing about when to dine, no times or seating pre-arranged, and it worked out just fine). Ah, those were the days

Anyway, thanks for your analysis of the 2019 QM2 Deck Plans. As always, your study of Cunard ships is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Salacia
#17
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by karl_nj
How odd. Those ceiling mounted bunks are physically part of the room, so I can't imagine they will actually remove them. It's not like the sofa beds in the balcony cabins, where you might just replace the sofa with one w/o the bed.





Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Karl, Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why cant they remove ceiling mounted bunks?
Thanks, -S.

P.S, Perhaps passengers in those cabins will take photos and share them, please.
#18
Pennsylvania
5,637 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
My thought is, why would they bother removing them? Their objective is accomplished by only booking a maximum of two passengers in the room, and a passenger would be hard pressed to claim that the rectangular hatch in the ceiling detracted from their experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#19
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Salacia
Karl, Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why cant they remove ceiling mounted bunks?
Thanks, -S.

P.S, Perhaps passengers in those cabins will take photos and share them, please.
Salacia,

I have not actually been in one of the cabins with the 3rd and 4th upper berths. But I found this photo of an inside cabin from the "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2" sticky which I believe shows the rectangular hatches in the ceiling where those berths are stowed when not in use. I think you will agree they don't really detract in any significant way from the overall appearance or usefulness of the room for two-passenger occupancy that would justify Cunard going to the expense and commotion of removing them. Plus, I figure Cunard would prefer to keep their options open to possibly return those cabins to three- or four-passenger occupancy at some point in the future.



Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)


#20
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by bluemarble
Salacia,

I have not actually been in one of the cabins with the 3rd and 4th upper berths. But I found this photo of an inside cabin from the "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2" sticky which I believe shows the rectangular hatches in the ceiling where those berths are stowed when not in use. I think you will agree they don't really detract in any significant way from the overall appearance or usefulness of the room for two-passenger occupancy that would justify Cunard going to the expense and commotion of removing them. Plus, I figure Cunard would prefer to keep their options open to possibly return those cabins to three- or four-passenger occupancy at some point in the future.



Regards,
John
Hi John. Thanks for the photo. I had an incorrect mental image of those ceiling beds being like the ones on trains. But now that I see what they actually look like, yes - I agree with you that there appears to be no compelling reason to remove them.

Thanks again,
Salacia