Athens Airport

LaPaloma

Has any one had experience on travel from Piraeus(Athens) to the new Athens Airport? Some folks on the SS Board had some problems during the Summer Games. Apparently some delays getting in to terminal. I would imagine under normal circumstances, its no big deal. Is it a longer trip that the old airport?

La Paloma

Just allow yourself plenty of time. The new Athens airport is quite nice but it is very far north of Athens -- even with the new highway it is a hike.

Adios and have a great bon voyage. Hope to meet up with you in Tucson!

Hi,

When I got off of the Seabourn Spirit in Athens last year, it was a 10 Euro cab ride to my hotel (The Ledra Marriot) and it took about 15 minutes. The next AM I had to leave very early for the Airport. It was about 6:30AM and the ride took about 35 minutes (with little traffic) and cost about 30 Euros (if memory serves me) So, figure about 40-45 Euros and AT LEAST 45 mins from the pier to the airport. Its in the middle of nowhere.

Bon voyage.

We arrived in Piareus with the Spirit in early September. The crew advised us that since it would be Sunday there might only be a few taxis available and you would have to do a lot of bargaining to keep the costs down .... ALL WRONG !!!

We arrived and there were PLENTY of Taxis available. No bargaining at all, the Taxis run on a meter like in most other large european cities. Seabourn wanted USD 45,- for a hotel transfer. We paid EUR 7,- with the taxi ... Since you will be most likely arriving on a sunday there should not be too much traffic, so the cost of the taxi should be not too bad. We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it was EUR 25,- (You have to pay the highway toll and some kind of airport surchage seperately). So I presume the cost of the taxi from Piraeus to the Airport should be somewhere in the range of EUR 30 - 35, depending on traffic. Both Piraeus and the new Airport are quite a bit outside of town - but on opposite ends unfortunately. On a sunday the ride should take about 45 minutes to an hour. On weekday however ... well you know traffic in Athens ... work on 2 hours to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...
What is it about Seabourn and Pireaus taxis? Both times we have been in Athens on Seabourn they have made dire warnings about no taxi's or taxi strikes and both times there were plenty for all.

They are probabyl just eager to sell their on transfers.

Archived