Island Princess - Internet Options and Performance

akaCruiser

I've been checking out the Internet Options offers on Island Princess and since the only options are time based, e.g., 200 minutes for $xx,

I'm wondering how much time do I need to purchase, as I understand that the speed of the onboard internet can run from slow to really slow, to account to the time it will take to use the internet.

Should I give myself a buffer of 25% or 50% more time to allow for the slower connections? So if I'm looking for 200 minutes, I should consider the 400 minutes, for example.

I didn't have an issue with Anthem of the Seas, as it was unlimited and performance was almost as good as onshore.

Thanks in advance.

I was on Island Princess last month. While that ship has not gone to unlimited plans the connection was far more reliable than in the past on Princess. My Android phone never dropped the free Princess@Sea intranet, and my netbook always connected to the web quickly where in the past it used 2 to 4 (or more) minutes of your plan each attempt before a usable connection was established.

Much of the Princess fleet has completed the backroom technology upgrades in preparation for the new "Medallion internet" plans. Curiously the two ships that have added unlimited plans beyond the failed Ocean Medallion launch on Regal Princess (Grand Princess and Coral Princess) are ships that were not on the now-jettisoned Medallion launch schedule.

I was on Island Princess last month. While that ship has not gone to unlimited plans the connection was far more reliable than in the past on Princess. My Android phone never dropped the free Princess@Sea intranet, and my netbook always connected to the web quickly where in the past it used 2 to 4 (or more) minutes of your plan each attempt before a usable connection was established.

Much of the Princess fleet has completed the backroom technology upgrades in preparation for the new "Medallion internet" plans. Curiously the two ships that have added unlimited plans beyond the failed Ocean Medallion launch on Regal Princess (Grand Princess and Coral Princess) are ships that were not on the now-jettisoned Medallion launch schedule.

Thanks for the update. That is good to know that it's not as bad as before. I guess I'll look at getting the next level of minutes as my DW work is asking for her to be available online.

The answer depends on what you are trying to do on the Internet.

If only using a few minutes a day to download e-mails, sign off, prepare e-mail responses, sign on and send the e-mails and do this with a little web browsing you will not need as many minutes as if you were needing to stay online interacting with web sites.

Also depends on what time of day you will be using the Internet. It is fastest late evening until breakfast time. If you need to use it during daytime and early evening it will be slower.