A tour of the amalfi coast

Juliet1

Are you looking for a private tour? If so there are several companies that come highly recommended by CC members.

You can also do a DIY visit, if you have a long (12-hour) port day.

Where will your ship be at port? Most lines call at Naples but some use Sorrento or Salerno as their port for this part of Italy.

Yes, if you are booking a private tour there are several companies. The first time I went to Europe, I booked all private tours through Joe Banana Limos which were excellent. After my first trip, I found the roll calls on cruise critic where you can share tours and save some money. Italytoursharing.com does an excellent Amalfi tour which I have taken and can highly recommend. If u want to save a bit of money, go to your roll call and start some tours. If you have 3 tours (ports), you can get money off I think.

My next cruise is to Greece in June. Can not wait!!Countdown is on.Addicted!!

Just as an FYI, the word for thank you in Italian is grazie. Although it's technically only two syllables [grà-zie] because every letter in Italian is pronounced it actually sounds more like three. You can hear how it is pronounced by clicking on "ascoltare" on this page: http://www.wordreference.com/iten/grazie

The Italians do have a habit of adding an extra syllable to many words (a). Kind of like the Canadians (eh?).

Hank

What tour you decide on for Amalfi Coast will be heavily influenced by the time of year you travel. That area gets very crowded in the summer months and therefore you can see far less in the same amount of time.

Having just toured the coast last October, it takes 45 minutes from Naples to get to the coastal area. There are lots of small places to see as you drive the coast but after 3-4 hours of driving, you will probably be 'car tired' and want to head back. There are ways back that are faster than driving along the coast.

We took a private driver for 5-6 hours and just did the coastal cities, not Pompei. We loved it.

Good Luck.