Cruisin' Like a Hawaiian - Pride of America 05.04.2013 Review

puddles99

I think it depends on whether you want to really "live" Hawaii on a single island or see the great variety that is across four islands. For us as first time visitors, we firmly believe that the cruise was the perfect way to sample the islands & we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I agree! I think a b2b would be fabulous. If only :p

B2B in an owner's suite.... when I win the lottery .. maybe :D

If going to Hawaii again for the 1st time would you choose to take this cruise or would you do a land vacation? My DH and I are on opposite sides of this coin and I would appreciate your opions. Thanks!

my mom did POA in Sept 2011, and then they took a land vacation to Oahu a few weeks ago and mom said, hands down the cruise was 'more fun'.... but the land vacation seemed a bit more relaxing.. b/c they were not on any set schedule with things. Granted you COULD do that on the ship, too, but who wants to? :D

My DH and I recently had to make this decision. It was a hard one to make! We were debating a 9/10 day land vacation split between Maui and Kauai. We were torn because we wanted to see Pearl Harbor area and Waikiki too but knew there wasn't enough time for everything with flights between islands, checkin and check out, etc. Not only that but the POA cruise prices were so high! $2300 per person for a balcony guarantee PLUS possibly $2000 in airfare seemed a LOT since that didn't include excursions and drinks and possible car rentals on some islands.

I know some friends who have done the POA and they all said that even though the service and food was not the best they'd had on a cruise, they all agreed it was definitely the best way to see Hawaii for the first time. So I kept checking prices, we were pretty open as to when we could go, and I found $1500 balcony guarantee with a $100 OBC through Costco Travel for a week in January. I jumped on that price. Just secured my air last week r/t from Philly to Honolulu for $677 with one stop each way. So I feel pretty good about our decision. I think it will be a more relaxing trip this way. We will pick a few excursions but will not be doing one every day so we can just chillax some days. And we'll get to do Pearl Harbor the day we disembark and then fly home that evening.

So that's my story of how the cruise came about. Good luck to you deciding. You can't go wrong either way I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Puddles99...another one of your great photo reviews with lots of information...Freestyle Daily...fine food photos. :):):):)

Thank you for taking the time to share your grand adventures. We are in the midst of planning our Hawaii activities, and your review helped me decide what excursions to plan. :)

I'm glad the review was helpful - I can't believe nearly a year had passed. I reminded DH the other day that I hope to sail POA again with our daughters someday. This trip will forever be one of life's greatest adventures.

If there are any questions I can answer, please just let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your great review, it makes me remember alot of the things we did there a few years ago. I am glad we did the Road to Hana but it is something we wont do again, it was a long day and a bit too long for me....I would go to Hawaii again in a heart beat but its a long flight 14 hours and I am not so sure I want to do it again soon ...

Can you tell me about how you stop yourself while ziplining? It says you have to have good knees. Why is this?

You stop by a combination of your own weight (you jog up a short wood ramp) and the block / brake system managed by a guide. I'm guessing the good knees is so you can do the short jog, uphill, and can manage the impact of landing. But honestly, I'm just guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by puddles99

• 2 months later...
Great review and pictures! I'm looking to start planning our trip for Jan '15, so much info to go through and lots of decisions to make. :eek:

I am taking a group on the Jan 17th sailing. I've been looking for some pics of the freestyle dailies but only found one over Christmas week in 2013. I felt it wasn't totally representative of the activities because of the holiday. Have you found any other dailies from the winter of 2014?

I am taking a group on the Jan 17th sailing. I've been looking for some pics of the freestyle dailies but only found one over Christmas week in 2013. I felt it wasn't totally representative of the activities because of the holiday. Have you found any other dailies from the winter of 2014?

I have mine from Nov 30 -Dec 7 in my review (in my signature). It's probably a little further back than you were looking for but maybe you can see how they compare to the holiday ones you saw.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...