Gem review - Jan 27

sloperate

Outwardly, the Gem looks a little worse for wear. Lots of paint missing from the sculpture. Not surprising, perhaps, considering that she has been making back to back Winter trips to the Caribbean out of N.Y.C. Inside, however, the crew continues to do a terrific job of keeping the luster alive and well. Some wear and tear, but overall, I think, remarkably well maintained and presented considering the constant use.

Shows offered were, in a word, TERRIFIC! Two comedians, a ventriloguist whose close was one of the funniest I have seen, dancers, magician and others all providing terrific entertainment. You should hope that they are still out there when you board.

One big disappointment for us was that they no longer provide lox in the cafeteria. An obvious cheapening of the offering, no doubt saving dollars. If you wanted lox, you had to go to one of the interior restaurants and order off the menu, and then it was poorly presented.

I was a little dismayed at the disembark. We traveled to the ship via bus from Pennsylvania direct to the pier. We were off the ship fairly early with no clear idea as to when the bus might arrive to pick us up, or what spot in line it might get. Temperature was an issue, no surprise, it was Feb 3 and fairly early in the morning. Everybody on duty in the terminal was obviously directed to hustle us out of the terminal and into the cold with no regard as to where we might get some warmth. No standing in the warmth, get out into the cold! After checking to see if the bus was there, it wasn't, we re-boarded the elevator as an arriving passenger and sat there for a hour or so. Turns out, there is an area for you to sit, or stand, to wait for transportation, but they seem to make NO effort to advise you about it.

Teppanyaki is too damn LOUD! Period! Full stop! Everything else about it is well done! We don't do it often while home, but I would give these Filipino chefs an A plus for their presentation. They have four tables available in a closed room.Walk into that room when one set of tables is having their food prepared and be prepared to lose a few decibels of hearing acuity. To be fair, it works when you are the one being served because you expect it and are part of the action. The space is too confining for the type of service it is used for. We wont make use of it again, given the chance.

With all that said, I love sailing the Gem. Unfortunately, it was probably our last, of four, trips on her. Seems she will be departing her N.Y. port for the last time sometime this year. Grab a trip while she is still nearby.

Just in case CruiseCritic readers have not noticed, the lovely GEM will be sailing on longer Winter cruises from/to NYC and CA -- via the Panama Canal -- in January 2019 and January 2020:

1. January 2019: 2 to 20 January 2019 NYC/LA [18 Nights], 20 to 27 January 2019 LA/LA [7 Nights], and 27 January to 15 February 2019 LA/NYC [19 Nights] ... take all three as a Back-to-Back-to-Back (B2B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [44 nights].

2. January 2020: 4 to 24 January 2020 NYC/SF [20 nights], and 24 January to 14 February 2020 SF/NYC [21 Nights] ... take both as a Back-to-Back (B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [41 nights].

Hint: Book early [and miss some cold weather at home] -- as I did -- to get choice of cabin and, if doing back-to-back [-to back] sailings, same cabin [have the individual bookings be Linked for on-board convenience].

Just in case CruiseCritic readers have not noticed, the lovely GEM will be sailing on longer Winter cruises from/to NYC and CA -- via the Panama Canal -- in January 2019 and January 2020:

1. January 2019: 2 to 20 January 2019 NYC/LA [18 Nights], 20 to 27 January 2019 LA/LA [7 Nights], and 27 January to 15 February 2019 LA/NYC [19 Nights] ... take all three as a Back-to-Back-to-Back (B2B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [44 nights].

2. January 2020: 4 to 24 January 2020 NYC/SF [20 nights], and 24 January to 14 February 2020 SF/NYC [21 Nights] ... take both as a Back-to-Back (B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [41 nights].

Hint: Book early [and miss some cold weather at home] -- as I did -- to get choice of cabin and, if doing back-to-back [-to back] sailings, same cabin [have the individual bookings be Linked for on-board convenience].

Never can tell what your posting might accomplish! I'm going to take a very close look at those January sailings in '19 and '20 and see which way, if not both, I might want to travel.

Good info!

• 2 months later...