Disabled Cruising: What ticks you off?

Peery5

I wasn't always disabled but I always tried to be courteous to others, disabled or not, when cruising. On our last cruise, on RCCL, to Alaska, I used a mobility scooter. While the employees on RCCL were very courteous and helpful, I can't say the same for a lot of passengers. If you have ever used a scooter on a cruise, you know how difficult it is to find an available elevator, and get on it. Difficult in and of itself, nearly impossible on formal nights. Crowded elevators, everybody in a hurry to get to wherever they are going, no one willing to hold an elevator door so you can get on.:( Once I made a mistake an went out of our cabin by myself to get a drink [cappuccino] and could not get on an available elevator to get back to my room. Had to call a family member just to run interference for my to get back on an elevator. THIS IS WHAT TICKS ME OFF. What's ticks YOU off, being disabled, about cruising? Maybe some of those more fortunate souls will read this and maybe think the next time they see someone with a disability having problems on or off of a cruise ship.

A number of things tick me off about Able Bodied Passengers and Handicapped as well. I will list them below by ranking.

1. Trying to get to the Gangway to get off the ship for an excursion. Being told by crew to try to be at the head of the line at a specific set of elevators (so get there early, they told me the time (1 hour before announcements)), which worked great as I was the 1st passenger at the elevator banks to be used. HOWEVER, in the wait, which I did not mind, the AB passengers all decided to overflow the area and kept pushing me further and further back from the area to the point I ENDED up in one of the glass elevators on the opposite side of the ship. I rode that son of a gun for more than 15 minutes. I had no choice as there was no way to stay in the main area... BUT, it did work out the better for me because as soon as the elevators to the lower deck (where the gangway was) was released, I was the first person off the ship:D

2. Partially Handicapped passengers using a motor scooter that refuse to get off the scooter so that the crew can load the scooter onto the tender and vice versa from the tender onto the ship. This person (I question to this day that she was truly HC) was later seen walking around the ship WITHOUT the scooter or other mobility aid!! I at least got off my scooter and held the hands of the crew members to allow them much less weight.

3. Passengers, usually late 20's - mid 30's who are rude to Older passengers both on and off the ship!!! I have heard their rude comments made to passengers that are in their 70'+ who are moving as fast as they can.... OBSCENELY rude!!! I was taught and follow what I was taught, to respect my elders.

Think that is enough for now. My blood pressur boils when I think of these... And I have low Blood pressure.

Joanie

We mostly hate the rude inconsiderate people. I can't tell you how many times we were at the elevators (first ones waiting) and the door would open and all the other people would crowd on before us! UGH And of course the AB people that take HP rooms. But with the new laws that might not happen as much in the future.

Joanie,

I agree with your complaints and certainly agree this woman should have gotten off her scooter. But please do not assume that if you see someone walking on the ship they do not need a scooter in port.

As someone still grappling with my own evolving disability this is exactly the type of thing that makes me hesitant to go for handicapped accommodations,etc. as I wrote in a previous thread. On the ship I can walk on my own but I would see very little of ports these day without a wheelchair.

I am thinking of renting a scooter for Bermuda next May as DH will not be with me to push a wheel chair. And yet on the ship itself I will be walking.

Surely there are folks who take advantage of accommodations they do not need but I have also learned from my own experience that there is walking and then there is Walking.

BTW, I want to be sure you know I am not being critical of your post. It just arouses my own insecurity and sensitivity.

Ruth

My problem is similar to Ruth's. On most days, to look at me, people think I'm fine. I do have a lot of health problems, but it is not apparent when you look at me. I can only do a few stairs at a time and can't walk or stand except for short times. Some days are better, some are worse. I need a w/c or cane at times. Other times I'm walking okay and smiling. I always wait for someone in a wheelchair or scooter when possible. So I guess what ticks me off is when people see me being pushed in a wheelchair and then later I'm walking, though slowly. Then they shake their heads or just laugh.

Jules:

My problem is also like yours and Ruth. That is kinda why I started this thread. More for people to vent frustrations similar to mine as most able bodied people think with their rear end before they put their brain in gear. I am a big guy who can walk a few feet at a time. To look at me you would think that nothing is wrong but to watch me for a few minutes you would see the opposite. What I have learned is to not care what others think. If someone is "man" enough to confront me and question my disability or handicap then they should be "man" enough to suffer my wrath and the wrath of those traveling with me.

I hate the fact that other than Disney, (I think) you have to upgrade to a junior suite to get three people in a wheelchair cabin!! :mad:

Not true for RCCL, Celebrity, Princess or HAL. All have regular (cheap) cabins for 3 on some ships, you just have to hunt them down and reserve far enough in advance. Did this many times when cruising with my parents when my dad was still alive, and since then when traveling with my mother (the wheelchair user) and a friend.

I think EVERYONE needs to take their manners and smiles with them when traveling!!

Not a peeve, but an observation, sometimes, on the elevators, I go up first to go down, or vice-versa. Usually the mid ship elevators are the busiest. If riding on a scooter/chair go forward or aft. Take any elevator you can fit in. NEVER be in a hurry!!!!!!

Life is way too short to only be dwelling on the negatives. Look for the bright things, and let "peeves" roll off your backs!!

Sherry

Joanie,

I agree with your complaints and certainly agree this woman should have gotten off her scooter. But please do not assume that if you see someone walking on the ship they do not need a scooter in port.

As someone still grappling with my own evolving disability this is exactly the type of thing that makes me hesitant to go for handicapped accommodations,etc. as I wrote in a previous thread. On the ship I can walk on my own but I would see very little of ports these day without a wheelchair.

I am thinking of renting a scooter for Bermuda next May as DH will not be with me to push a wheel chair. And yet on the ship itself I will be walking.

Surely there are folks who take advantage of accommodations they do not need but I have also learned from my own experience that there is walking and then there is Walking.

BTW, I want to be sure you know I am not being critical of your post. It just arouses my own insecurity and sensitivity.

Ruth

Ruth, I understand completely and never thought you were being critical:)

I did not go into greater details but this woman when asked by the crew if she could stand with assistance, so they could get the scooter on board, literally yelled at how rude they were and that she was unable to stand for more than a few seconds, and that she could not walk more than 3 steps.......That is what had me furious... This woman took complete advantage of the crew and situations, many times.... And not slow walking, like many of us have to do, but fast like there was a fire sale somewhere on board or in port.

I also uunderstand coming to grips with your own lack of mobility... Been there, done it and will live with it (LOL Like I have any choice:)) I, like so many others, look from all appearances to be ok with just my cane for support. But I cannot walk more than 120 feet (inherited degenerative disc disease, thanks Dad), I have an implanted neuro stimualtor in my spine to help ease the pain. I cannot breath well (advanced emphysema), right side of my body is lower than my left by about 2 inches at last check up... I can go on, but... So yeah, if I am seen standing, I look ok, but ..... I do not let what others think they see bother me. I know my medical problems and deal with them so that I do not suffer more than I already am.

Be happy, be safe and use a wheelchair or scooter!!!

Joanie

Well I've been on the disabled list due to a leg injury, back on the 'well' list and have ended up with my leg not doing well.....again. So am back on the disabled list.

I can see both sides, but I am much more aware of how difficult it is to get around when your body just isn't working as well as you would wish.

I cannot do steps without a hand rail. The situations where there is one step or 2 steps and no handrail mean that I can't enter that area. Serious pet hate for me!

I hate people who say 'so look so well, why can't you walk better?'

I hate standing in long lines which are a part of travel.

I try to be polite, but I've learned that I have to stand up for myself.

I am cruising for the first time since my accident and will be bringing my own scooter on Royal Carib Voyager OTS. Ya'll have me freaked out and stressed about the elevators. Should I just bring a portable DVD player and stay in my room the whole cruise watching DVD's??? Is the elevator situation for scooters really that bad??

I am cruising for the first time since my accident and will be bringing my own scooter on Royal Carib Voyager OTS. Ya'll have me freaked out and stressed about the elevators. Should I just bring a portable DVD player and stay in my room the whole cruise watching DVD's??? Is the elevator situation for scooters really that bad??

On Holland America Line's Vista and Signature ships I use the glass elevators located in the mid ship area both port and starboard sides.

As soon as an elevator comes along that has room for my scooter and I on it, I ask someone to hold the door for me and then I drive into the elevator head first, facing the ocean.

I then ask someone to push the floor I want to go to.

It does not matter which direction the elevator is going, I get on it. If it is going up and I want to go down, so be it, at least i am on one and will get to my destination:)

Joanie

Saintbernardlover, it's not really that bad. You just need to have a LOT of patience (not patients, hehe). AB don't always understand disabilities, and it's hard, sometimes, when they don't. Just remember, patience, and grab an elevator when you can, even if it means taking an extra ride to view the scenery. Ain't nothing wrong with going up first to go down. You get to see extra things. DVD player and staying in your cabin? Heck no! Maybe an MP3 player while wheeling around the ship and boppin'/jiggin'/jivin' (your generation/your choice) to the tunes while others watch you wheel onto an elevator. Take your time, enjoy the cruise, enjoy the atmosphere, you're on vacation!

It can get really bad. The elevator situation really gets to me when I cruise with my mom. I'm AB and never use the elevators when by myself. My mom cannot walk a single step so relies on her wheelchair to get around. Unfortunately, it doesn't climb stairs. There are several times when I get her into an elevator then take the stairs myself.

I got really mad once at a woman who chewed out her son for holding the "open door" button to allow us to get onto the elevator. The door sometimes opens and closes so quickly that unless you are directly in front of the elevator when it opens, you won't have time to get over to it. The woman told her son that she was in a hurry and letting us onboard was slowing everyone else down and we were taking up too much space. For whatever good it did, I told the boy that I really appreciated his gentlemanly behavior.

A trick we learned is that is doesn't matter whether you want to go up or down, push both buttons. Get on whatever elevator arrives first and has some free space. There have been many times when it was faster to go all the way to the top or bottom and wait for the elevator to switch directions to get to your floor then to keep waiting for a free one going your way.

On the Royal Caribbean cruise I did, I didn't come across any elevator problems - in fact, the majority of ppl used the stairs, especially at busy times. (I had one full-time wheelchair using friend and one port-only wheelchair using friend, plus myself with my service dog [no wheelchair/scooter].) I have once seen such problem at a ballgame, though, where a guy in a wheelchair wasn't able to get on the elevator because able-bodied ppl, some who hadn't even been waiting for the elevator when it came (they decided to grab it while walking by when they saw it was there), filled up the elevator. When the next one came, a bunch of able-bodied ppl tried to walk around him (he happened to be positioned in front of that elevator's doors [there are three in that bank]) to get into it, but the person I was with physically blocked them from doing so to let the guy onto the elevator and then me. I hope those ppl realized what they'd done wrong so they won't do it again!

The one thing on the RC cruise that ticked me off was a comment from another passenger. It happened to be while I was on an elevator, LOL. I guess the guy had seen me previously in port with my friend who needs to use a wheelchair in port. In the elevator, he said, "I saw your friend on the ship and she was walking just fine!" to insinuate that she was faking. That got me so angry! She was not faking - just cannot walk long distances without help due to a lifelong disability - and she didn't have an accessible room or anything, so who cares if she had been faking?

This past cruise, one of my friends told me she saw some of the older women in our group giving dirty looks to my service dog, but I didn't see them. Most ppl actually enjoy seeing my dog with me, if they even notice she is there (which many/most don't because she, like all good service dogs, is trained to not be noticed).

Oh - but getting a fridge for medical needs on Carnival is beyond a hassle and a half! That ticks me off for sure. With RC, it was easy - just had to fill out a form for it, but the ship apparently didn't even get any of my forms from headquarters, so my steward went and got one for me (I'm glad I asked first thing when I saw him after I saw it wasn't yet in my room!). With Carnival, the previous cruise had mini-fridges in them and I had to use one of those (had to write to John Heald to make sure I'd get one that was cold enough). (The RC rooms had mini-fridges, too, but they brought a special medical needs fridge in addition to that fridge.) With this upcoming Carnival cruise, my TA was on the phone with Special Needs for over an hour trying to get a fridge for me (this ship's rooms don't have mini-fridges)! Very annoying!

Elevators are an annoyance everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

And the idea that anyone is in a "rush" is always amusing to me...where are you GOING?? You're on a SHIP in the middle of the ocean somewehre, and the buffet will be there when you get there! :)

More annoying to me are the people that stop dead in front of me as they're moving down the hall. A scooter can't always stop that fast. Or apparently I'm invisible, as people reach over my head to grab stuff off the food buffet, dripping sauce in my hair. Or step back and end up sitting in my lap, then yell at me because I was in their way. No..I was just the person behind them, in my wheelchair...

Common courtesy..something lacking all over in the world these days..would be a nice surprise!

. . . was on a recent cruise where 500+ passengers were from one country in Europe. Many of these people generally had no regard for other passengers, but the very worst I saw was when one of them pushed her small child's pushchair and shoved it into the back of the legs of a passenger with a walking frame, in an effort to get her to walk faster. She even told this person to "Hurry up".

I knew the passenger with the walking frame from a previous cruise. She has only recently had to start using the frame (previously she used a walking stick), as she had become more frail.

I never had any bad feelings about the people from this particular country until this cruise, but there were so many incidents that I will now consider carefully before I cruise with a large group of them again.

i might add that there were also 500+ people from Denmark on this cruise. They behaved impeccably and caused no incidents or problems.

stbernardlover:

I have found that the worst time is formal nights. What we do now is go have a drink, relax and wait for the crowds to thin. Go ahead and enjoy your cruise. You will have a great time.

Lets also remember there are many RUDE handicapped people as well.

1. I still remember one cruise where there was a group of Scooter people who ran over me at least 3 times without a "Excuse Me" or anything. More of a "You are now slowing me down because I HIT you with my MOTOR VEHICLE" They fianlly got the point when I had security talk to them as I was being assisted to Medical for injuries to my leg.

2. Comments from Scooter people again trying to force their way onto an elevator that is full from people on other floors that didnt have any scooters or HC people trying to get on. The best was when one of them blocked the elevator door & asked people to get off so they could get on.

I am understanding to HC COncerns as I have to use a cane to help me get around at times due to health issues. I will however NOT tolerate rude behavior from anyone. I am a IN YOUR FACE type person & will let you know very clearly if we disagree. Remeber FAIR is FAIR for everyone. Being HC does not ENTITLE you to being special. It entitles you to assistance to assist you. But these come with responsibilities also.

Lets also remember there are many RUDE handicapped people as well.

Yeah, AB's don't have a monopoly on rudeness. Simple courtesy goes a long way.

For the most part, my experience onboard has been ok. If you are pleasant, most other passangers are pleasant to you. Elevators are crowded and often don't fit WC or ECV because..well..elevators are crowded. Only had to wait awhile getting an elevator when someone stopped me to ask questions about DS.

We found elevators to only be a problem after shows or going to dinner. Whenever they are really crowded. My mom uses a scooter and I swear AB people practically crawl over her to get into the elevator before her, even if she was waiting before them. Always take a elevator if its going up or down. It will go your way eventually. Sometimes you will have trouble, sometimes you won't.

As for rude scooter users. Yes there are some. I find that they are the ones that have never used a scooter before and think they are entitled. Also, it is the type of person you are. My mom is very passive. Some scooter drivers are not. Sometimes it is the AB's fault. They stop dead in front of a scooter. Scooters don't have brakes and can't stop on a dime. Also, AB will try to rush around the scooter or cut her off. My mom owns her scooter and has used it for 7 years. She hasn't hit anyone yet. However, AB people have hit her.

For example: My mom was parked in the lobby area. An AB woman stepped backwards without looking and backed right into my mom. The AB then said "You hit me" My mom was parked, her scooter wasn't even on. I said "how could she hit you. She wasn't moving?" :confused: The woman gave us a dirty look and walked away.

However, the thing that ticks me off the most about disabled cruising, Is AB people who knowingly book handicapped cabins. Now, that chaps my hide! :rolleyes:

We found elevators to only be a problem after shows or going to dinner. Whenever they are really crowded. My mom uses a scooter and I swear AB people practically crawl over her to get into the elevator before her, even if she was waiting before them. Always take a elevator if its going up or down. It will go your way eventually. Sometimes you will have trouble, sometimes you won't.

As for rude scooter users. Yes there are some. I find that they are the ones that have never used a scooter before and think they are entitled. Also, it is the type of person you are. My mom is very passive. Some scooter drivers are not. Sometimes it is the AB's fault. They stop dead in front of a scooter. Scooters don't have brakes and can't stop on a dime. Also, AB will try to rush around the scooter or cut her off. My mom owns her scooter and has used it for 7 years. She hasn't hit anyone yet. However, AB people have hit her.

For example: My mom was parked in the lobby area. An AB woman stepped backwards without looking and backed right into my mom. The AB then said "You hit me" My mom was parked, her scooter wasn't even on. I said "how could she hit you. She wasn't moving?" :confused: The woman gave us a dirty look and walked away.

However, the thing that ticks me off the most about disabled cruising, Is AB people who knowingly book handicapped cabins. Now, that chaps my hide! :rolleyes:

I have been hit by people on scooters who thought I should have seen them coming & moved out of their way or they are trying to move forward at a counter while I am also standing there looking items. When you use a scooter you have RESPONSIBILITIES to operate it safely. To me there is no difference between a scooter & a car. You hit me with one, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for any injuries I may suffer. I use a cane for assistance so when you hit me, you are making a HC Problem even worse.

I agree with you that Cruise Lines need tighter control & restrictions on who can book a HC Cabin & when. There arent that many & should be reserved for people with needs that can PROVE it. They can be released at say 60 or 45 days before sailing. Should not be any earlier.

Recently while on Radience people kept walking in front of or around us to get on elevator. I keep wondering what they think we are sitting there for if they even realize we are there. One very rude man said what is this a geriatic cruise when my husband who is an amputee, myself with heart, oxygen problems and a friend with severe artritus tried to get on elevator.. Another typical remark is why don't you loose some weight(do they really think I weigh this much because I want to.

Archived