Chankanaab - with RCI or on our own?

jlajla

Thinking of doing Chankanaab when we are in Cozumel in May. It will be a group of 9, including 3 kids (9/6/4). I am wondering what people think about booking through the ship (RCI) as opposed to doing it on our own. Ideas? Tips? Pros and cons?

Thanks for the help. This is our first time cruising with kids, and I find myself second-guessing the way I usually do things....

We plan to do Chankanaab on our own -- the RCI excursion forces you to sit thru a video presentation about Mexican history. If that is of interest to you, then go for it....but we are much more interested in snorkeling, swimming, and sunning!

We went to Chankanaab on our own last week. Get a taxi ($8 for our family of four) and go on your own. Admission for our family was $64. We brought our own snorkeling gear. We were not interested in swimming with the dolphins. Just interested in snorkeling, laying on the beach. They also have a swimming pool there. Nice day.

We booked the dolphin swim at Chankanaab on our own last spring instead of through RCC. We got a good deal by booking it Valentine's Day week. If you don't go through the ship, I would recommend booking it as early in the day as you possibly can as they delayed us waiting on the photographer to finish with another group & we almost missed the ship. They kept telling us we had plenty of time, but we were on rental scooters so we were doing 60 mph back across town to the pier. We laugh about it now & there were other people who actually delayed the ship leaving port, but we were sweatin' it as it was our first cruise. It is a really pretty park, they have snorkel equipment for rent for $10 per person/day. There was a large rock wall at the shoreline where there were some fish & caves for snorkeling. Also, they have photo packages you can purchase for about $100 per person but we took our water camera also & got some decent shots. Have fun! :)

you'll save money if you go on your own, and yeah, print out that coupon.

you can rent snorkel equipment there. Our family usually rents two sets and then shares, going two at a time.

the RCI excursion takes too long with the history lesson, they say. you can walk around on your own and see the iguanas.

you need to use biodegradable sunscreen there, btw. so plan in advance, or you will pay through the nose.

Definitely do it on your own. Taxi's are waiting at the port and you simply tell them where you want to go. It was a $10 fare for the 3 of us. Taxi's pull up all day and will take you back whenever you are ready, so no problems getting back either. :D

Some pictures from Chankanaab 5 months ago: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Chankanaab-Cozumel-Mexico/19147812_D5w3PP#!i=1491563924&k=PMtsWsq

Can anyone give me some info on the food and drink there? Types, prices, etc. Thanks.

Not sure about the food because we waited until we got back on the ship but can tell you that mixed drinks were $6 and the ice cold soda was $2 :)

Archived