gottago2mexico

MEXICO PLANS TO LIFT SWINE FLU SHUTDOWN

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFlu/story?id=7494506&page=1

Key Points:

1. Worst of outbreak has passed

2. Virus might be no more than a typical flu season outbreak

3. Virus has entered into a stabilization phase in Mexico

4. Cases are starting to decrease

5. Medical experts concluding swine flu not any more dangerous than regular flu.

6. Mexico will be re-opening for business as usual.

7. CDC notes there have been relatively few severe cases of the illness.

Key Points:

5. Medical experts concluding swine flu not any more dangerous than regular flu.

That is good news for Mexico. We still have to wait until our government decides what they will do. There was talk just this morning on tv about it possibly going to level 6 today.:confused::eek: I don't think they quiet know what they are doing with all this. One minute you hear it is fading off some and the next they are wanting to up the level.:confused::confused::confused: Who knows what the heck is going on anymore.

Key Points:

Sounds great to me! Now if the CDC would just lift the advisory I think the cruiselines would go back. Surely they will lift it soon? (positive thinking here)

Right now the flu seems close to ending in Mexico, but is spreading in the USA, Canada, and elsewhere, that's why the talk about increasing the threat level. Wonder if Mexico will now advise against travel to the USA and Canada? Or perhaps the CDC will issue a warning that everyone should travel to Mexico as fast as possible to get away from it?

Still no swine flu ever reported in any of the Mexican Port Cities - Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Costa Maya, Progeso, etc.

However, 6 confirmed swine flu cases in Florida where the cruise ships embark from. I'm sure the Caribbean will appreciate the cruise lines bringing the flu to them. At least Mexico will be out of the line of fire. Luckily it's no worse than the regular flu in any case, they now admit.

I think the MEDIA totally blew this out of line......

I am still angry that we aren't going to Cozumel in 2 weeks.....

4 days on the boat is not what I wanted to do.......

Cruise passengers with Carnival reservations should contact the lines and ask them for sensible reasoning. Canceling Baja California in favor of USA California ports where Governor Schwarzenegger has declared a state of emergency and canceling México’s Caribbean Ports where there is no swine flu illness but continuing to sail from Florida where there is just does not make sense and the idea they make this decision for the safety of the clients is preposterous. Demand reasonable explanations!

Right now the flu seems close to ending in Mexico, but is spreading in the USA, Canada, and elsewhere, that's why the talk about increasing the threat level. Wonder if Mexico will now advise against travel to the USA and Canada? Or perhaps the CDC will issue a warning that everyone should travel to Mexico as fast as possible to get away from it?

Still no swine flu ever reported in any of the Mexican Port Cities - Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Costa Maya, Progeso, etc.

However, 6 confirmed swine flu cases in Florida where the cruise ships embark from. I'm sure the Caribbean will appreciate the cruise lines bringing the flu to them. At least Mexico will be out of the line of fire. Luckily it's no worse than the regular flu in any case, they now admit.

Something to think about....

when this swine flu started.... all we heard about was Mexico City. Mexico was not reporting any outbreaks in Cancun that I read about.

So why are the Eastern US cases from "Cancun" (not Mexico City)?

Personally, I think Mexico would say anything right now to get the mess over with. Nothing against Mexico, but I am not willing to bet my life on their handling of the situation.

Since Cancun is only 30 minutes and a ferry ride to Cozumel....caution is understandable.

Is the CDC over reacting....YES. Because IF we do not want to be dealing with a Super Bug killer in December (or the future)....they MUST over react NOW.

1918 - mild in May....deadly in December. There is a saying "Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it."

Thankfully, this strain is mild and is missing some of the genetic markers of the 1918. But it is a strain that can mutate....and NOW is the time when we must do whatever is necessary to stop that kind of mutation.

AFTER the mutation happens....it is to late to say..."well, we should have been more vigilant". And it is still killing other wise healthy 30 and 40 year olds....not just the weak and elderly like the regular flu.

The other thing to remember is that these cruise lines are HOME for 1,000's of people who don't have the option of "staying home". The nature and design of the cruise ship is IDEAL for any kind of outbreak. Look how hard it is for them to contain Norwalk on a ship.

So while the cruise lines "may be" reacting in the best interest of the passengers....they also have a huge responsibility to protect the staff and crew (and their livlihoods) on board these ships.

Cozumel is my favorite port....which is why our cruise May 16th would have been our 5th time there since October. But, until the CDC knows exactly what it is dealing with....they must err on the side of caution.

Archived