Passenger Advice for Cruising with a Disability

CCShayne

I'd also love to hear from you! Do you have any advice or tips for cruising with a disability? What knowledge have you gained from your own personal experiences?

Thanks!

Shayne

I'd also love to hear from you! Do you have any advice or tips for cruising with a disability? What knowledge have you gained from your own personal experiences?

Thanks!

Shayne

Rather than start a new thread, you might simply read through the threads on this board. There are tons of tips, plenty of advice, about cruising with a disability.

It appears that you're starting a new board, somewhere?

Thanks!

Shayne

a few thoughts -

Luggage,

for carryon, consider the 4-wheel carry-on (e.g., Samsonite Silhouette).

Airport,

order a wheelchair for both departure and arrival gates and tip the pushers (I usually give $5 per pusher unless extra services are provided)

if possible, walk through the security screening to avoid pat down

allow lots of extra time at the airport so you're not rushed

Airline,

ask for handicap seating (e.g., bulkhead) when making your reservation if needed

Medication,

if you take medication, take original bottles and look up formal name for each med in case you're traveling out of the country and need to get more

pack more meds than you think you need - if you drop any, you'll need extra; if there's any kind of delays, you could need more than anticipated

Some more thoughts --

*Plan ahead -- handicapped rooms, both on land and on ships, fill up quickly.

*Ask questions -- not all "accessible" rooms/etc. are created equal. If you are bringing a wheelchair or scooter have it measured so you know what the dimensions are. That way you will know if you can actually manuever in the doorway or room. Don't assume that if it's a handicapped room that it will automatically come with a roll in shower or shower stool. If you need that, you need to ask about it specifically.

*Avoid layovers when possible.

*Bring small assortment of tools for wheelchair/scooter/walker. You never know what could happen to your equipment and it's best to be prepared.

*Rental cars -- if you need handcontrols, be sure to call ahead. It can take 24 or more hours to have hand controls installed on a rental car. Also, if you use a spinner knob and need it to drive, mention it. Some agencies only install them if requested, if at all.

*Tours -- be prepared that even if the location is "accessible", not all paths will be and you may need to be flexible about how much of a certain site you can see.

*Have a sense of humor -- I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "scenic tour" of a kitchen, back hallway, etc. to get to a certain location. I have seen so many kitchens in Las Vegas I think I could become a food inspector! But, with some patience and a hearty sense of humor these "challenges" actually can become part of the fun of the adventure. And they usually make for some great stories afterwards.

Be sure to confirm that transfer vehicles - airport to motel, motel to attractions, attractions to motel, motel to ship whatever. You need to confirm that they run at the hours you are going to need them and that they have lifts or assistance available.

Always always always have your electric scooter or chair serviced before you go on a cruise. Make sure the service people tighten everything, check the charger and the battery and all the steering mechanisms. If something falls off or breaks, it is impossible to find a part when you are in most port cities.

Hi! No not starting a new board, I work for Cruise Critic and I'm updating our current story on Cruising with Disabilities.

Thanks for your advice!

Hi,

I've just added the Handicapped Cruising for Holland America Line over on my HAL Stateroom/Cabins Pages. It is everything that I have been collecting over the past year and contributed from On Line resources and fellow HAL CC members: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL_HC-Info.html

BTW, I have quite a umber of various Cruise Lines updated Access and Compliance phone numbers if you'd like them also. The list is far from complete, but I can post it or send it to you.

Joanie

Thanks!

Shayne

I'm disabled but there is very little on this board that would help me. I became deaf as an adult and would love to know what's available on a ship to help passengers who cannot hear well.

Hi, I am a travel agent with Expedia Cruise Ship Centers. I would love the opportunity to work hand in hand with you, as in the context of Cruise Critic. I believe working together could prove to be quite beneficial. I myself have a physical disability, and travel with a service Dog. My area of expertise is working with people with physical limitations as I firmly believe that there is a sever lack of adequate information for the disabled traveler.

I look forward to your anticipated response.

Thanks and happy sailing.

I'm disabled but there is very little on this board that would help me. I became deaf as an adult and would love to know what's available on a ship to help passengers who cannot hear well.

This is what Holland America Line provides for its Vision and Hearing Impaired customers. I believe most, if not all Cruise Lines (at least the larger ones) would provide the same:

Vision and Hearing Impaired [

To help you maximize your cruise experience, Holland America offers the following sensory enhancements:

• Infrared systems/Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) in showrooms and theaters

• Window-Eyes® computer software in the Explorations Café that lets you navigate the web as you listen to the text

• Downloadable daily activities, news and menus for laptops with screen readers

In your stateroom: With advance notice, any stateroom on board can be fitted with special accessories such as TTY/TDD machines, amplified phones and visual/tactile alert for door knocker, phone and alarm clock.

• With one month’s notice, large print or Braille menus describing the inspired cuisine offered across a myriad of venues, from the elegant Dining Room to the casual Lido Restaurant.

Joanie

[

I have a severe visual impairment which has deterirorate dovet the years. I'm also very independent and well travelled. I now find cruising to be the easiest/safest (and most enjoyable)option for me to have a holiday if travelling on my own.

The most difficult part for me was disembarkation where I struggled to find my case in a sea of cases with people all over the place. It was also hard to use my long cane with luggage and get myself a taxi, especially in some European ports where they do not queue in an orderly manner but just have a general free for all. I now get passenger assistance to get off. So much easier. It does mean they take me off in a wheelchair but I don't care as it means they help me get my case and then get me a taxi - totally stress free.

I manage well onboard because unlike hotels, there are no sudden steps up or down on a floor for me to trip over, lightining tends to be good and staff are extremely helpful.

My tip would be, don't try to mange everything on your own, let them know what assistance you need and take advantage of any they provide.

Archived