Changing staterooms on roundtrip to NY

fizzy1

We are doing the Aug11th roundtrip to NY out of Southampton next year . So excited ! I sometimes see that passengers sometimes have to change staterooms on the return journey . Can someone explain this. If you book the roundtrip as a journey from start to finish why do you have to change room ? On our conformation it just says the one balcony room we have selected. Does that mean then that we have that room coming home as well a going out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never booked a guarantee, but it is my understanding that if you have booked your round trip as a single voyage, you will be assigned the same cabin for the entire voyage. Those who book the round trip as two separate voyages are in a different situation and probably would end up in different cabins for each segment.

Now if I have this all wrong, and those who have booked a guarantee on a round trip crossing as a single voyage have actually ended up with different cabin assignments for each segment of the round trip, then I'll gladly stand corrected.

Edit: Sorry, I see your post makes no mention of booking a guarantee. It fact it looks like you have booked a specific cabin. You certainly will have that same cabin for your entire round trip, having booked it as one voyage rather than two. No worries.

Yes of course ! you'll stay in your original stateroom ! if it has been indicated on your booking confirmation and you haven't been informed of a move. The only guests who move to another stateroom, are those who are aware of it at the time of booking. Many guests often book round trips ( voyage/cruise legs) under separate booking and therefore are unable to keep their original stateroom .

Edit : Apologies Bluemarble for repeating what you have just clarified, you beat me to it.

I believe it is usual to keep the one cabin for both crossings, There is the possibility of making two separate bookings instead of one BtoB because of pricing or cabin placement or to have two cruises added to one's World Club account instead of one. If one is very lucky, as I was some years ago, one might even get an upgrade to Queen's Grill.

If you bought a round trip ticket, you will stay in the same cabin for the full voyage. Even with a guarantee with two separate consecutive bookings in the same grade, both bookings are cross referenced and you will be in the same cabin for both as I have experienced.

I have never booked a guarantee, but it is my understanding that if you have booked your round trip as a single voyage, you will be assigned the same cabin for the entire voyage. Those who book the round trip as two separate voyages are in a different situation and probably would end up in different cabins for each segment.

Now if I have this all wrong, and those who have booked a guarantee on a round trip crossing as a single voyage have actually ended up with different cabin assignments for each segment of the round trip, then I'll gladly stand corrected.

Edit: Sorry, I see your post makes no mention of booking a guarantee. It fact it looks like you have booked a specific cabin. You certainly will have that same cabin for your entire round trip, having booked it as one voyage rather than two. No worries.

Thanks for info.

If you bought a round trip ticket, you will stay in the same cabin for the full voyage. Even with a guarantee with two separate consecutive bookings in the same grade, both bookings are cross referenced and you will be in the same cabin for both as I have experienced.

Yes, booked it as a specific stateroom round trip . Thanks for info xx

Booked the whole trip . Brilliant , thanks

We are looking at a round trip from New York for Christmas next year. The offers I see suggest that booking two separate voyages (so as to have time between in the UK) would always be costlier than booking it as a round trip. Is that accurate?

In the case of a conventional 14-day round trip crossing from New York (where you would start your return journey later the same day you arrived in Southampton), then booking that trip as two separate 7-day crossings can sometimes be cheaper than booking it as a single 14-day round trip. Usually booking the full 14-day round trip will be cheaper, but not always.

Of course since you are looking to spend some time in the UK between crossings, then your only option would be to book that itinerary as two separate voyages and that would be priced as such. But even then, since prices can vary quite a bit based on the season of travel, what promotions are being run at any given time, or simply how well a particular crossing is selling, it is entirely possible to find some combination of two separate 7-day crossings that end up pricing out cheaper than any given 14-day round trip crossing you might be looking at for comparison.

Hope this helps some.

Indeed it does, as it corrects my mistaken assumption. It looks as if we will do best by being a little patient and waiting to book either as two singles or one roundtrip until next spring at least. We get two weeks in the Midlands and the South this March for one of our cathdral and pub tours anyway. So we'll take the rountrip however we can get it.

I have in the past booked a crossing to Southampton, that continues to Hamburg or Zebrugge for four days then returns to Southampton. I booked the west bound from Southampton to get home. That gives you four days in the UK to sight see. You are booking two crossings. Cunard has a service where you can store luggage in Southampton so you won't have to lug big bags around in the UK.

Last year and next year I am sailing from Hamburg, which calls at Southampton and experience tells that there is not a lot of time to see much of the UK although they to have excursions to Windsor Castle and Stonehenge so you get to see something at least. Having been to Windsor and Stonehenge, I think I am going to do the tour of the New Forest next year.

In the case of a conventional 14-day round trip crossing from New York (where you would start your return journey later the same day you arrived in Southampton), then booking that trip as two separate 7-day crossings can sometimes be cheaper than booking it as a single 14-day round trip. Usually booking the full 14-day round trip will be cheaper, but not always.

Of course since you are looking to spend some time in the UK between crossings, then your only option would be to book that itinerary as two separate voyages and that would be priced as such. But even then, since prices can vary quite a bit based on the season of travel, what promotions are being run at any given time, or simply how well a particular crossing is selling, it is entirely possible to find some combination of two separate 7-day crossings that end up pricing out cheaper than any given 14-day round trip crossing you might be looking at for comparison.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the info . We actually live about 30 miles from Southampton so this will be a round trip ti NY and back home