clothing question for Alaska cruise

weluvtravel

We will be taking the Golden Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska in July. We have 4 sea days (2 up and 2 coming back). My children (10 & 11) will probably spend the sea days in the kids clubs or swimming in the covered pool. They like wearing shorts/Tshirts and will put on a sweat shirt if it is cold. I was just wondering if they will be warm enough? I am not sure how heated the kids clubs are or what temp they keep the decks at? This would be for day time only--they would dress for dinner and evening activities. Just trying to figure out what I should pack--thanks so much!

The weather, of course, varies.

Might I suggest adding a few long sleeve t-shirts and long trousers (jeans) for daytime. Hoodies and sweatshirts too. I've been to Alaska a few times (June, July, and an August sailing) and it's been chilly!

The kids clubs, I found, were not that warm...

Cheers.

Layers, layers, layers.

We have seen snow in May/June/July/August/September on our cruises to Alaska.

We have also been sunburned in all 5 too.

You just don't know, it can change in minutes.

I know we are always glad we brought jackets, hats, and gloves.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The Alaska board has lots of clothes threads.

Best advice is to 'Be an Onion'

Dress in layers.

Been on two Alaska cruises and three Northbound cruises. Weather can be anything from 40's and stormy to 80's and beautiful.

This question is asked and answered frequently ... look over the first few pages of this forum, or, type "clothes" in SEARCH THIS FORUM to find all the past threads.

The key is layers, regardless of when you cruise. It might be 75 and sunny, or, 50 and raining. With layers you're ready for everything. Pack a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded. If your itinerary includes glacier viewing or any time on the water, pack a ski band and gloves. And carry a daypack for your layers ... if the weather warms up you'll have a place to store your jacket, or if it gets bad you'll have a jacket closeby to keep you warm and dry.

Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure what to expect on board the ship--too much use of A/C in the public areas, etc. It sounds like as long as we have layers, we will be good to go. The kids are excited--this will be their first cruise!