first time on NCL Getaway in April ? on reserving shows and restaurants

izzie06

We have always sailed carnival and decided to try NCL. I know we need to reserve speciality dining if we want to have a table and the shows if we want to be sure to see them!! We purchased the beverage package. I registered on ncl but for life of me cannot see how to do this!! I do see an offer of 3-5 specialty meals package for 116 each. Is this worth it? I have a message in to my travel agent. I really am more concerned about missing good shows!! What does everyone reccomend?? Glad for this site it is so helpful.:)

Any tips or suggestions are truly welcomed!! Thanks in advance

You are in for a different experience than CCL. (we have cruise #21 coming up on CCL next month, and cruise #6 on NCL in August.) You won't be able to reserve any shows/dining until 90 days before your sailing - begin checking next month. (unless you are in the Haven suites - then you can book 60 days out.) I swore I would never pay for a meal on a cruise ship - but we found that we really enjoy freestyle dining on NCL! We usually get the 3 meal plan, but have eaten at all the pay venues. We like Cagneys the best. (steakhouse) O'Sheehans has great pub food 24/7. If you like the piano bar on CCL, you will love Howl at the Moon dueling piano bar on Getaway. Buffet is different - try the dessert crepes at dinner. (the nutella one is soooo good!) Pools are small for a big ship, slides are fun, ropes course also. Go with an open mind, and enjoy!

When in April do you sail? Bookings open up 90 days out, so if you are sailing in late April then they may not be available.

It is in the same section where you book shore excursions etc. You should see sections there for dining or entertainment, but if they aren't active then bookings aren't open yet.

As for the dining package, whether it's worth it depends on how much you plan on using the speciality restaurants. If you plan to eat 3+ meals there then it will be cheaper to buy the package.

Don't feel that the speciality restaurants are necessarily essential though. Many people eat in the included venues quite happily.

I really am more concerned about missing good shows!! What does everyone reccomend??

Any tips or suggestions are truly welcomed!! Thanks in advance

On NCL's later ships (Epic, _away, Escape), the entertainment is done a bit differently than what your used to. Instead of having a unique show in the main theater each night, they'll have a couple of shows that repeat throughout the week in the big theater and then a couple of other acts (comedy, illusion, dueling pianos, etc.) in some other venues.

All shows (with the exception of Illusionarium, which is more of a dinner theater type deal) are free. You can attend either one of two ways:

1. You can book ahead of time a multitude of ways. Online, onboard via the iConcierge app or your TV, or visiting the theater box office.

2. If you don't have the show pre-booked already, you can show up about 15 minutes before showtime and if there are still seats available, you can walk in after scanning your card. (We did this for both main shows on the Getaway in December.)

I preferred "Million $ Quartet" because it had an actual storyline. (Burn the Floor was just a series of dance numbers.) But hey, some people really love dance. To each his own.

Most of all, enjoy your cruise!

Our first cruise on NCL was the Getaway after 4 Carnival cruises and that trip hooked us on NCL and freestyle dining! :) There are many options for meals that do not cost extra- our first cruise we did all the complimentary dining and the second time on the Getaway we did 4 paid venues. The three main dining rooms (Tropicana, Taste and Savor ) all serve the same food but Tropicana is more formal and offers live music and mini shows with the cast of Burn the Floor. I rec. making a seating res. there by 6 one night at least and ask to sit close to the dance floor to see the performance! Shanghai is a free noodle bar and it is excellent- get there at 5:30 to be seated right away as there are long waits as it is small. O'Sheehans is wonderful for dinner too (every meal really)-as is the buffet! Moderno is a good choice for a fixed price/family meal. There is something for everyone and the food is delish! Have fun!!