St. Petersburg port

kittylee

My Baltic cruise was in Aug/07 and I was EXTREMELY upset about being docked in the rail yard for 3 days. One night we heard the constant crashing of metal rail cars for 8 hours which equals ZERO sleep before an early excursion that we had already paid for ON TOP of it being our anniversary! My letter of complaint to the Regent resulted in a form letter apology and a minimal concession on our next sailing in 2 weeks and an explanation that that is the ONLY spot for the Voyager's size ship to dock.

I am questioning that explanation and am asking past cruisers to St. Petersburg on the Voyager if they have been in another location than the rail yard.

It would be interesting to know the month and year of the cruise and the docking location for you past cruisers on the Voyager to St. Petersburg.

Oh my, Kitty Lee, that doesn't sound like a good port for you! Unfortunately, only time I was there was on the Navigator, and we were in some berth on the river, I think! I didn't know Voyager could get into these waters.

We were on Voyager in June 06. The night before we arrived in St P we were told we would dock in the port. Our tour guide, Galina, also was told this when she called to check where to collect us. And lo! Early the following morning "Knut the Driver" came on the PA and told us we were docking at the first bridge over the Neva. I must say it was ideal - and just looking at the dockyard as we sailed by gave me shivers!!

However as I understand it, the ships have to do what the port authorities tell them. So it is a bit of "Russian Roulette" which in our case, we won!

As we tied up in the river there was even a Dixieland band to greet us. Some change from our last arrival in 1972!

I was on Voyager last summer and we docked at the port by the industrial rail yard, which was really a run-down area, quite a drive into St Petersburg centre. While doing sightseeing in the city centre, I saw several cruise ships docking off the Neva River, including Silversea. Initially I thought Silversea was a smaller cruise boat, and hence could sail up Neva River, but having read other reviews, this didn't seem to be the explanation.

Summer in St Petersburg was hot, and full of mosquitoes. On the second day of our docking there, we received a newsletter warning us not to leave the balcony door open. Apparently someone left it open overnight to sleep and was basically eaten alive by the mosquitoes.

I will add my experience to the confusion.

I have been on the Voyager, when it docked in the commercial port, on the nAvigator when it docked at the passenger ship terminal, and know that Capt. Knut will dock at either the passenger ship terminal or on the Neva river whenever the tides and # of ships and other factors will allow.

However, if you are unlucky and are stuck at the commercial port, taxis are not easy. They have to pay for a special permit to go in there. However, Regent does offer a "shopping" excursion twice a day into the city. Use that to get into the city and do your site seeing from there.

Archived