First Cruise!! What can anyone tell me about the Spirit?!

KPRH921

I sailed on her in April. I was a bit bored and probably wouldn't sail on her without a balcony. However, she is in excellent condition from what I saw and experienced. Everything was very clean.

Raffles Terrace is particularly good if you want to sit and eat/drink while looking out over the sea or port. The Galaxy of the Stars lounge is equally good in the evening, and seems to have inspired the Bliss Observation lounge.

There's no spa, if that's important to you.

Your itinerary is fantastic, and should be more than enough to distract you from any flaws - but I don't think you'll find anything major!

There definitely is a spa because I've been getting emails about it and when you go on the NCL site it has the spa as an option and all the services it offers.

We sailed on the Spirit in April of 2016 and had an absolutely wonderful couples massage in the spa.

(They end it by putting your hands together and ringing a little bell. When they did that this past April at the end of our massage on the Jade, we laughed remembering it from the last time.)

Did they close the spa since we were on the Spirit in 2016? I've been looking at Mediterranean cruises on the Spirit for next year but will look at a different ship if they no longer have a spa. :(

There is a spa. I get emails about it daily from NCL and you can go on their site and see all the services they offer. :)

We sail for the first time on Spirit this September. We may be in the same cabin after you sail? 10686? If so let us know what you think when you get back! We are looking forward to this line up of wonderful countries to explore!

Yup that's it! I will definitely post a review!

Easter 2017.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

I was on the same sailing, I agree with the vibration on the boat, which did affect us having a cabin aft on deck 9, so much so that we split in other cabins for 2 nights and after a third complaint received $200 OBC, this was on the second to last night of the cruise. I think it’s the design of the ship that causes the vibration. I seem to remember a similar noise on Carnivals Sunshine, although we had a forward cabin on that ship.

This was my first NCL cruise. I have previously cruised with CCL and DCL. I was worried about sailing on an older smaller ship, but these did not materialise. The only problems we encountered were the lack of staff working on bars, which led to long lines for drinks. Other than that I really enjoyed NCL. Yes the ship does look a little bit worn in places, but she is an older lady, the staff were lovely, food was great and all in all an enjoyable cruise. Yes I would go on this ship again, but I wouldn’t stay in the aft area of the boat. We also got a peak of the suites from our cabin steward on the last day and I can tell you they looked shabby and small what they cost, but I am use to newer shiny ships.

I will be another to add the Spirit is my favorite NCL ship. I have a trip planned on her next summer. I think the service was excellent 2 years ago. We don't like the large ships so that is part of the reasons we love the Spirit. Your first cruise will always be special as well!

Love the Spirit. Have sailed her three times and she is still our favorite ship of all times. She was originally was deployed in Asia and carried lions for a show in the theater. Most of the cages have been converted to dressing rooms but in the aft you can still see the outdoor cages.

Thanks Huntingdon and KPRH -- what a relief that the spa is still there. When they do the drydock, maybe they'll add a small Haven area too. We liked the intimacy of the Haven on the Jade.

I'd bet 99.9% they won't be adding a Haven to Spirit.

My opinion based on NCL Spirit (March 2018) and Celebrity Millennium (Jan 2018)

Ship overall NCL old with eastern flavor but nice -- Celeb Ship little Newer more modern -- Both equal IMHO

Cabins NCL smaller bathroom OK good shower toilet has sliding door very small, storage space very good also includes coffee maker with plenty of supplies super bed and great linens.

Cabins Celeb A little bigger and larger balcony, bathroom good, storage very good, no coffee maker, bed etc same.

Cabin Celeb just has edge.

Food NCL Food was very good with a good selection from Menu 4 places to eat evening meal 2 main restaurant + Asia + Buffet Main Dining room seats 480 but is very spacious with tables well spaced apart. 3 specialty restaurants from A La Carte Menu not fixed price. Teppanyaki fixed 29.95$ also 24 hour Cafe serving Wings Burgers Fish & Chips etc very good. Buffet Poor.

Food Celeb Not as good as NCL limited choices of places to eat, no 24 hour cafe, Buffet very good.

CC 2018 Best UK Cruise Ship For Dining NCL Spirit.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/membe...ing&sort=large

Food must go with NCL

Bars and Drinks Package- Bars on NCL are not great just OK however drinks package selection very good.

Celeb Bars are better Martini Bar will not be beaten Drinks selection on package not as good.

Must go with Celeb for Martini bar alone.

Entertainment - Shows on NCL first class very very good, other activities not appealing to me, night time in Sky Lounge buzzing great, very much partying ship at night.

Celeb better theater however shows not up to NCL standard, activities better, night time good not as much partying though silent disco is a hoot.

This is hard one so going to say Equal

Dress Code NCL is freestyle so most things go some and some. Being snobbish dress code better on Celeb.

In conclusion yes would do another NCL trip not sure I would like the large ships, however not jumping ship Celebrity still my preferred cruise line.

I have tried to be fair and honest and this is just my opinion so not lets start world war 3.

John

We just got off the Spirit a couple weeks ago. Have sailed on the Pearl and the Escape in mini-suites. Our balcony room on the Spirit was noticeably smaller. But we expected as much. Otherwise everything about the cabin, the ship, the crew, was pretty wonderful. I wish the curtains in the cabin were better at blocking out light. It gets light out really early on the Adriatic! But if that is my biggest complaint, it must have been a pretty good cruise! (And it was!) Spent 11 days on the Spirit and could have stayed for more. Enjoy!