where to buy UGGS?

sunsetme

New Zealand is a great place to buy Ugg Boots., there is some dispute as to whether they were invented in NZ or Australia., but like the best of NZ, Australia tried to claim them anyway ....joke......

Because of the exchange rate, you will probably get a better deal in NZ, and most Tourist shops sell them. There are a couple of good ones selling sheep skin products close to the terminal where you will dock.

If you are coming to Melbourne I believe you can buy them at our Queen Victoria Market.

Our granddaughter is off to boarding school in the mountains this year and has to have them as part of her uniform requirements. My daughter bought a lovely pair for around $55AUD at the market.

Jennie

Aloha Jennie!

In your previous post, you mentioned the Queen Victoria Market. DH and I will be in Melbourne in April as part of our cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We were very intrigued with the market when viewing their website and was wondering if there was anything special that we should shop for. I assume the item range is quite significant (foods, souvenirs, clothing, etc.). We are particularly interested in anything made in Australia, such as aboriginal articles, as well as souvenirs and food items that we could bring back home.

Mahalo (thank you) in advance for any information you can provide.

Aloha,

Kim :)

I am not a fan of The Queen Vic Market - personally I think its full of junk. They do have a lot of souvenirs but mainly the cheap & nasty type. You would be very lucky to find anything there made in Australia - its mainly from China.

Jane;)

Kim,

We too do not shop at the Victoria Market but I do know that a lot of tourists love it. It is a true market place and I believe that there aren't a lot around anymore.

Besides clothing and bric a brac you can buy anything and everything in the way of food there. There is the fresh vegetable part of the market, plus the meat and the fish and cheese area. The fresh produce is only sold on Tuesday, Thursday, Fridays and Saturday mornings. The rest of the week just clothing and bric a brac is sold. It is worth wandering around there just for the experience.

If you want to buy original aboriginal art and souvenirs I would look around at some of the souvenir shops in Southgate. I am not sure if the products are exclusively Made in Australia but there are some good shops there. It is very hard these days to find anything made anywhere else other than China as Jane has pointed out.

Jennie

Mahalo Jane and Jennie for your quick responses. I understand what you mean about things being made elsewhere. We have a lot of that too.

Out of curiosity we'll probably check out the market and then head to the Southgate area.

Again, mahalo for the information. I really appreciate it.

KK :)

A wonderful market if you want to buy really Australian things not made in China etc is The Rocks Markets in Sydney. Overseas shipping terminal for cruise liners is just there. These markets are not junk and most things are made here in Oz. The markets are on only on Saturdays and Sundays but the whole Rocks area has wonderful shops where most of the art, craft, fashion etc is made locally.

The Rocks Market was definately set up for overseas tourists - I agree that its a good place for local souvenirs.

I am off to Sydney tomorrow for a long weekend - staying at our favorite Sydney Hotel - The Observatory. Going to Rockpool for dinner tomorrow night & Bathers Pavillion for a long Saturday lunch.

Happy Australia Day for tomorrow:) .

Jane;)

Jane,

How lucky are you. I love Sydney especially as our daughter and family lived in Mosman for 7 years and I used to fly up for a weekend once a month. I do miss those trips especially lunches and dinners at the Bathers Pavillion.

Balmoral is such a pretty part of Sydney. Enjoy.

Happy Australia Day to all the Aussies out there.

Jennie

Happy Australia Day to you too Jennie. I love Sydney for a visit but I couldn't live there!! Last year my mum did the identical TP cruise that you are doing this year - she had a great time.

I see you are organised for 2008. I am in the process of deciding what to do - leaning towards Silverseas Vietnam cruise(Hong Kong - Singapore) in Feb 2008.

Jane;)

Happy Australia Day to you too Jennie. I love Sydney for a visit but I couldn't live there!! Last year my mum did the identical TP cruise that you are doing this year - she had a great time.

I see you are organised for 2008. I am in the process of deciding what to do - leaning towards Silverseas Vietnam cruise(Hong Kong - Singapore) in Feb 2008.

Jane;)

My sister and BIL did a BtB Silverseas cruise in November last year on the Whisper. They went from HK to Bangkok via Vietnam and then from Bangkok to Singapore via Vietnam and Malaysia. They enjoyed both cruises but did have bad weather for the first as there was a cyclone near the Philippines and the Captain was trying to avoid it so consequently they missed a few ports and spent more time in others.

We are looking forward to trying out Oceania, especially as we know the ships so well.

Jennie

Leslie,

We loved our Pacific Princess cruise a couple of weeks ago. Very relaxing after Christmas.

I am seeing Sandra this coming Thursday when she is in Melbourne. She is so brave. I admire her tremendously. We still cannot believe what has happened.

Jennie

• 11 months later...

We went to both Victoria market in Melbourne and the one in the Rocks when we were in Oz in Nov/Dec. We bought UGGS in Victoria Market at a price we couldn't get anywhere else! We made sure they were made in Australia as you have to be careful they are not 'made in China'. They are really ugly (hence the name I understand) but, boy, so comfortable. Loved the market coz of the 'buzz' around but agree there is a lot of junk. However, did get a great sweater - again made in Australia - which was not cheap but very worth the money. The market in the Rocks has lots of souvenirs which are really interesting and, again, had things which were just that bit different than elsewhere. Think they are both worth visiting.

• 11 months later...

Aussie Gal,

What a wealth of information you are thanks so much.

My daughter just told me that my granddaughter (15) wants Uggs.

Could you tell me where Victoria Market is and how we get there? We are on the Millie March 15th. Our first day in Melbourne we are doing the Great Ocean Road but plan to do our own thing on March 26th.

Thank you

Ontario Cruiser

Ontario Cruiser,

I am sure you will love the trip down the Great Ocean Road. Do you know that it was built after World War 1 by our Australian Diggers who returned to find there was no work available. It was dug out of the cliffs by pick and shovel and even in my lifetime it has been widened somewhat to what it was when I was small child. We had a beach home at Lorne (where you will probably stop) for just on 30 years. We and the children had many lovely holidays there.

Now back to the Victoria Market. When you leave the ship and walk straight ahead for about 100 metres or so, you will come to the Light Rail. Buy a ticket at the kiosk, though I have read that you can now buy them when you alight the ship at the Tourist Information Centre. Make sure you validate the ticket on board the tram. Take the tram to the Corner of Elizabeth Street and Bourke Street. Walk across Bourke Street to where you pick up the tram that runs up Elizabeth Steet - either North Cobourg, Essendon Airport, Keilor etc. and get off 3 stops later at the corner of Elizabeth and Victoria Streets where you just need to walk left. You will be at the Market. Have fun.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/rsrc/Maps/CityMap.pdf

Jennie

I just got back from a three week trip to Australia, and my daughter was there for six months. You will not have a hard time finding Ugg boots. They will be at the malls, the markets, etc. For us it was not worth the hassle with the bulk and weight of them. We had to be careful what we purchased because of the $$$ the airlines charge now for overweight bags. We ended up purchasing them on line from Nordstrom once we got home. FYI, Uggs sizing is different from US shoe sizes.

Ontario Cruiser,

The Market is the cheapest place to buy them and it won't take very long from the ship to get there. The light rail will take you about 15 minutes into the city and the tram up Elizabeth Street will take 5 minutes. You can walk up Elizabeth Street if you like walking, as it is a flat walk and only 4 blocks at the most.

Then you can spend the rest of your day exploring our city by travelling either on the free Tourist Tram which is a dark red colour or by using the free bus which leaves from outside our Arts Centre in St. Kilda Road.

Enjoy, I just hope you don't have a day like today which is 37C with a hot north wind!!

Jennie

Archived