Holland House vs. Divi Little Bay Beach

CurlyQ132

Taking a large family cruise in August 2018 and want to spend a relaxing day at the beach in St. Maarten. Ages range from 11 to 60+. Would like recommendations on which place to spend our day, Holland House or Divi Little Bay Beach? Thank you

Taking a large family cruise in August 2018 and want to spend a relaxing day at the beach in St. Maarten. Ages range from 11 to 60+. Would like recommendations on which place to spend our day, Holland House or Divi Little Bay Beach? Thank you

I would vote Little Bay over Great Bay. Definitely the family friendly option.

Absolutely LOVE the Holland House. We were there back in March and everything is up and running. We're actually going to be staying at the Holland House for a week coming up shortly for us. We also cruise 3/4 times a year so this should tell you something in regards to HH. We have no problem going in the water either. I'm not sure why the concern. It's clear as can be and have never seen anything that would stop us from going in other than maybe the jet skis. They cause waves...lol.... Any questions prior to us leaving just ask away....

Absolutely LOVE the Holland House. We were there back in March and everything is up and running. We're actually going to be staying at the Holland House for a week coming up shortly for us. We also cruise 3/4 times a year so this should tell you something in regards to HH. We have no problem going in the water either. I'm not sure why the concern. It's clear as can be and have never seen anything that would stop us from going in other than maybe the jet skis. They cause waves...lol.... Any questions prior to us leaving just ask away....

The concern is the overflow of the sewage water from the retention pond. This has been an ongoing concern ( especially after rain) and although I have read of plans of sending the water via drainage tubes farther out to sea this has not been done yet.

The concern is the overflow of the sewage water from the retention pond. This has been an ongoing concern ( especially after rain) and although I have read of plans of sending the water via drainage tubes farther out to sea this has not been done yet.

Again I personally haven't seen or witnessed anything if concern no more so than Little Divi Bay, Simpson Bay, Oystet Bay, etc..... if it were too dangerous to swim in, I would think that some legal honcho would be sure not to put the tourist at risk. After all, the island and its people Troy I. Tourist dollars / Just so you know, I have heard about this water concern for several years now but also have not heard of anyone getting sick, or deathly ill from being in it. If it worries one then they might need to go elsewhere. This bus how I feel about New York City especially at night, therefore I don't go 👍

Again I personally haven't seen or witnessed anything if concern no more so than Little Divi Bay, Simpson Bay, Oystet Bay, etc..... if it were too dangerous to swim in, I would think that some legal honcho would be sure not to put the tourist at risk. After all, the island and its people Troy I. Tourist dollars / Just so you know, I have heard about this water concern for several years now but also have not heard of anyone getting sick, or deathly ill from being in it. If it worries one then they might need to go elsewhere. This bus how I feel about New York City especially at night, therefore I don't go ��

I think that beach goers should know about the issue and I feel that this water should be tested and the results posted at the beach.

I enjoy the Ocean Lounge at the Holland House. It's a great place for lunch or a drink and to check e-mails as they offer free wifi to customers. I am a big fan of strolling the boardwalk as well and shopping on Front St is always a must for us whether on a cruise or a land vacation. I do prefer that area when there are 3 or less ships in port though. Might be an age thing.;)

Regarding Little Bay and the water quality. From everything that I have read it has tested extremely well. The Nature Society had posted results in the past and Great Bay had failed and Little Bay got a very favorable flag (red/blue not sure :)) but was the highest ranking that they gave out.

There is a thread on this board where people way more informed on this issue than myself posted pictures as to why Great Bay has this issue and explanations as to why Little Bay doesn't. I believe that it can be reached by using the search button at the top of this page and it's called "Great Bay Pollution- what's it like now" or something to that effect.

BTW it's Kim Sha beach in the Simpson Bay area and not Simpson Bay beach that also is known to have pollution concerns from what I remember.

I think that the money from tourists is the reason that there is not postings or too much information about the ongoing pollution issues at Great Bay. The locals that I know, even those living near there don't chose this beach and to be honest I have yet to meet a long time vacationer myself that stops for a swim while in town having lunch ect. When we visit in the summer and stroll the boardwalk this beach is very quiet as there usually is not a ship in.

Edited by Karysa

Just to add another vote - I also would recommend Divi Little Bay for your group.

Also, just for what little it may be worth, we have gone on cruise ships to the island for about 30 years and have done land vacations there for about 15 years. On our first port of call years ago we often swam and played in Great Bay. We now have not gone in the water at Great Bay for about 20 years and like Karysa do not know many residents or long-term visitors who go into water there, other than water sports folks and a few others.

It is impossible to say what the pollution issue might be in Great Bay on any particular day, but the fact is that it does get run-off from the great salt pond and retention ponds that are unquestionably polluted - many of us also wonder about what kind of run-off comes from the dump on pond island which is an environmental horror show. The run-off is of course far greater when it has been raining.

The idea that the local government would monitor the conditions and take action is certainly understandable, but I think you would find that extremely few people have that kind of faith in the local government.

Edited by SnorkelAway
Edited to add that I have nothing against Holland House - good operatoin.