Zuiderdam breaks record for most cruise ship time in Akureyri, Iceland

Turtles06

My wife and I are aboard the Zuiderdam for the Viking Passage, which began in Copenhagen last Friday, August 24. We had a great day in Alesund, Norway, and another in Djupivogur, Iceland, and then weather intervened.

Because of the forecast for Seydisfjordur, Iceland, our tender port call there on August 29 was cancelled, and we sailed to Akureyri a day early, docking there around noon on August 29. We then spent our full scheduled day there on August 30. It was a gorgeous day, and many of us were out on our planned shore excursions. We were totally surprised to learn from our guide in the middle of the day that he’d gotten word that the ship would not be leaving that evening as scheduled. In fact, because of a severe storm moving across Iceland, we remained in Akureyri overnight (our second night there) and for the entire next day (today, August 31), anchoring out in the wee hours of this morning.

When we finally left Akureyri shortly after 4:30pm today, Captain Vaartjes announced that we’d been there so long we’d been made honorary citizens, and that we’d broken the record for the most time spent by a cruise ship in that port. He may have been joking, but it would be hard to imagine any cruise ship planning to spend two and a half days here.

Sadly, just as we had almost left the fjord, a medical emergency required us to turn around and disembark a passenger. I hope he’s okay.

We are now on our way to Isafjordur.

Sorry that you missed your port of call. I would have been happy to spend an extra day in Akureyri. When we were there, we didn’t get to see enough of the island. Glad that you had good weather. :D

Hope the passenger is OK.

PS - If you see Becky and Tom, say hello for me.. ;)

What an exciting adventure you are having! We were in Seydisfjordur in July...beautiful place....but on Saturday the factory was closed and everyone was still at home. We toured the empty fish factory then tasted some interesting fish dishes. It was a nice day but nothing to rave about. We loved our time on the Zuiderdam. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!