Burnie, Tasmania - Tours

Teegiee

Hello,

Has anyone been here and can recommend tours. Should we book ahead or are there tours available at the port on the day? We are mid/late 20's so not really bothered with wineries or tours of factories and would rather tour than hire a car. Cradle Mountain looks interesting and was wondering if that was an option.

They'll shuttle you into the information centre (well worth a look itself) as it's an industrial port.

The mayor is normally there to greet the ship.

A fair bit to see within walking distance, but tours on offer too.

Well that was two years ago now:o

Hello,

Has anyone been here and can recommend tours. Should we book ahead or are there tours available at the port on the day? We are mid/late 20's so not really bothered with wineries or tours of factories and would rather tour than hire a car. Cradle Mountain looks interesting and was wondering if that was an option.

We were on a land vacation in Tasmania last year. We didn't visit Burnie but did go to Cradle Mountain for 2 days. The scenery is fantastic with very unusual (for me) mountain formations. The trails and hiking were on par with what I've done previously in the Canadian Rockies and south island of New Zealand. The bonus for me was completely different flora and fauna (wombats, pademelons, etc).

I did a quick map check and it seems that Burnie is a 1.5 hour drive to Cradle Mountain. You could rent a car and drive down and walk the Dove Lake track and maybe one of the additional side hikes like the climb up to Marion's Lookout. That would be a full 8 hour day though...

You also asked about a guide and one recommendation I can give is to check out Judy from Eye See Tasmania, She guides all over Tasmania although she is based out of Hobart. We had her guide us around Hobart for a leisurely day at Mt. Field but in our conversations it's common for her to guide guests in Cradle Mountain too. Bonus here being that you wouldn't have to drive the mountain roads yourself. Judy was great and personalized the day we had with her and changing things on the fly as we got to know each other.

Have fun in Tasmania.

• 2 weeks later...

We organised a tour via "Play A Round in Tassie": https://sites.google.com/a/bethelfarm.com/play-a-round-in-tassie/

Robyn was the consummate host and tailored the day to our liking. She picked us up and dropped us back near the ship and we had a great day seeing lots of things. I don't recall the price but it was very reasonable for a private all-day excursion.

We too are not interested in visiting wineries and so Robyn planned other things for us to do. As a private excursion this would be one of the best we've done.

There are reviews over on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g504286-d2433472-Reviews-Play_A_Round_in_Tassie_Day_Tours-Burnie_Tasmania.html#REVIEWS

Here is my review at the time:

We had a very enjoyable day in Burnie and surrounds. We were cruise ship passengers and Robyn was waiting for us as we stepped off the bus transferring us from the ship to the visitors' centre. Transport was via an immaculately presented Mazda 4wd.

Ahead of the excursion we had requested the sorts of things we did and didn't want to do and Robyn delivered perfectly. Robyn stocks her vehicle with drinks for along the way and she customised these to our particular tastes too.

During our trip we saw a lovely waterfall, farmland with crops including opium poppies (apparently Tasmania grows half of the world's legal crop), a boutique chocolate factory, cherry shop, a quaint family owned wildlife park, and a number of the towns along the coast. Lunch was our choice and so we ate fish and chips with Robyn by a nice river.

At the wildlife park we stroked a wombat, Tasmanian devil, and a koala. We also fed kangaroos, goats and some fish.

Robyn had us back at the visitors' centre about 45 mins before the final bus back to the ship. This gave us time to look around the centre before returning to the ship having used all available time off of the ship and seeing the sights.