Group Booking?

I did a search, but couldn't find a past thread that dealt specifically with what I'm wondering.

I have 18 total people going on a 3-day Bahamas cruise. This would be a total of 9 cabins.

What are the benefits associated with booking as a group??

We have a travel agent that offered us the same price as RCCL PLUS $49 OBC before we realized it was going to be enough cabins for a group. We haven't booked yet.

So, I'm wondering if it will be better to book through RCCL as a group or through this travel agent. They have said that since they are already taking such a hit on the ressie, they wouldn't offer additional bonuses for qualifying as a group.

Anyone know?

I did a search, but couldn't find a past thread that dealt specifically with what I'm wondering.

I have 18 total people going on a 3-day Bahamas cruise. This would be a total of 9 cabins.

What are the benefits associated with booking as a group??

We have a travel agent that offered us the same price as RCCL PLUS $49 OBC before we realized it was going to be enough cabins for a group. We haven't booked yet.

So, I'm wondering if it will be better to book through RCCL as a group or through this travel agent. They have said that since they are already taking such a hit on the ressie, they wouldn't offer additional bonuses for qualifying as a group.

Anyone know?

for a group of 8 cabins you would get one free berth (which is one bed basically) of the category you book the most of, but they will pay the taxes and fees of the berth. Also the base fare is NOT the fare you see on the website as the starting price. It is that amount MINUS another chunk none as non commissionable fare so it is alot less then you may think. Also depending on the sailing you may get GAP points which are group amenity points which give you perks. I am a TA and frankly I would run from the TA you spoke with and find someone who is going to work with you and not against you. Will they honor price drops? Do they charge any fees? Cancellation or Change fees? these are all questions you should be asking before you book. I know last year you needed to book a group through a TA but unsure if they changed that. Please do your homework and research others out there.

I'm currently dealing with the RCCL Group Department. My advice would be to call them and see what they are offering for your SPECIFIC sailing for your group. On our sailing they were offering the maximum group benefits they ever do (7 day on the Mariner out of LA in January). I can tell you that the options we were given were more than what you posted. Since you're on a shorter cruise though the options may be worse.

for a group of 8 cabins you would get one free berth (which is one bed basically) of the category you book the most of, but they will pay the taxes and fees of the berth. Also the base fare is NOT the fare you see on the website as the starting price. It is that amount MINUS another chunk none as non commissionable fare so it is alot less then you may think. Also depending on the sailing you may get GAP points which are group amenity points which give you perks. I am a TA and frankly I would run from the TA you spoke with and find someone who is going to work with you and not against you. Will they honor price drops? Do they charge any fees? Cancellation or Change fees? these are all questions you should be asking before you book. I know last year you needed to book a group through a TA but unsure if they changed that. Please do your homework and research others out there.

It changed. You can book groups privately again with RCI.

why don't you look for one you can go and talk to face to face and that doesn't charge ANY fees. Open up your yellow pages and look one up and go and interview them

I actually called a few local, and none were offering up any OBC. I wonder if I should try again now that we are group sized.

• 1 month later...
I actually called a few local, and none were offering up any OBC. I wonder if I should try again now that we are group sized.

Brandee-

Those of us on Radiance are wondering if you are still joining us in June? Hope to hear from you!

Karyn

Awwww - how sweet!! We are not going to be sailing on the Radiance - the economy killed that once all our accounts tanked. Instead, we're headed to Vegas/Grand Canyon/Sedona using our frequent flyer miles and hotel points.

I will absolutely go to Alaska one day, and I do wish we could have swung it, BUT - the trip we're planning has really taken the sting out of it - PLUS now I've got all my girlfriends in the world going on the Monarch in October with me. Since this posting, the group has grown to about 32 women and it's taking care of my itch to be on the sea!! :)

I hope you guys have the most wonderful trip. I'm definitely going to pop by the old thread - and also expect lots of pictures and reports from you!!

• 5 months later...

Call Royal Caribbean and see what they can do for you as a group and shop it around. I don't know what cruise you're talking about. The $49 your original TA was offering was a strange amount because amenities are generally $25, $50, $75, $100. I think you can do better than your original TA. But since I don't know what cruise you are looking at let me also tell you that the closer to sailing the less GAP points available so book now, watch for price drops.

This is just a guess, but maybe try some online travel agents as opposed to ones in your local area. Local agents presumably have a bricks & mortar office with more overhead, so maybe aren't as inclined to give OBC. An online agent working out of his or her home may have less overhead and therefore be more willing to give OBC.

I just got off a cruise on Explorer as a group leader. I worked with a local TA for over 2 years on this! We had eleven cabins, 20 people. We asked for and got private meeting space aboard, and had a staff member on board to assist our needs and she was terrific! We got every price drop that came down the pike, as well as 4 GAP points which we used for a cocktail party, and a bottle of wine and a fruit plate in every stateroom. I also got a small reduction on the cost of our junior suite.

It was a 9 night cruise, round trip Bayonne. I cannot say enough good things about my TA, and about the way our group was treated aboard.

Our TA did not give us any OBC, though, but she sure worked hard to get all our arrangements in order. Everything went off without a hitch. This was more important to me than a small OBC.

Unfortunately the TA is retiring!:( So my next group effort will be directly through RCI.

For the 11 cabins did you get one cruise fare free? You should after 8 cabins.

Also, the points can be used for many things. My TA and I just did a group cruise and it worked out fine for us. We got some nice perks. If they do not offer a free cruise fare ( usually paid back to you after you cruise, and depends on the category of cabin most booked in your group), I would not use that TA.

Archived