What is the immediate area around the Roatan cruise port like?

Hello all . . . we are on the July 29 RCI Liberty of the Seas sailing, which will stop in Roatan. Can anyone describe what the immediate cruise port area is like? Is the town within walking distance? Anything to do in the immediate area? Close to a beach or transportation to a beach readily available? I have no problem booking a shore excursion, but there isn't anything great for my group like the other ports of call. I don't want to book a shore excursion just to book a shore excursion. Much thanks in advance for your feedback!

(I will also post this question on the Roatan board)

There is an area outside the gates with waiting taxis and people offering private tours. We have gotten a taxi and drove around a bit and it was ok. We had a nice driver, early 20s, who let us walk around & shop and was right there when we got done. He spoke excellent English, which made it easier for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Town" is right outside the gated port and to the right.

Have just been thru it leaving on excursions, I don't recall much being there. You can take a cab to the west end, I think this may be more what you have in mind as "town".

Roatan is one of the best ports in the world for snorkeling. We decided to do a catamaran snorkeling excursion. It was absolutely one of the best excursions ever. They picked us up at the port, drove us to where the catamaran was, and back to the port. You get to see the area pretty good while traveling the sort distance to the catamaran. They provided all equipment, lunch, and drinks, plus a guide that went with beginners and a guide that went with the advanced. We had folks that didn't snorkel at all and that had a great time out on the water during the ride and while sitting in the sun or shade while the snorkeling took place (and they were allowed to start drinking while the others were snorkeling). This is a port where you definitely will be missing out if you don't get outside the port area for some sort of excursion. We would never have realized what a fabulous island Roatan is without taking an excursion. My son in law is an expert diver and wasn't thrilled with the idea of snorkeling. He was blown away. The lunch they had brought on board for us was FABULOUS and they kept encouraging all of us to go back for seconds (which we did). At the end of the tour a few ladies were selling hand-made souvenirs...no hustling of the passengers from our catamaran to buy.

ROATAN is our FAVORITE port! Absolutely - hands down - the best snorkeling (right from the beach) in all of the Caribbean.

You can book Tabyanna Beach (thru Royal) and you will be shuttled to West *BAY* Beach. (Not West End). There you will have access to beach loungers, restrooms, lunch, snorkel gear rentals & the best reef snorkeling right from the beach! There is a stretch of beach there that has all kinds of FUN things to do..... you can stroll down the beach, grab a bite to eat or drinks at any of the numerous restaurants/resorts.

They offer Parasailing, jet ski rentals, fishing, all kinds of water sports. The water in the West Bay Beach area is very calm & beautifully clear.

You can grab a Water Taxi & go up to the West End (if you want to see that area - it's a scuba diving - really laid back little town).

We have been there numerous times & have even flown down & stayed at Infinity Bay Resort.... which is next door to Tabyanna Beach.

The town outside the port area is walkable.... there are street vendors there, a few bars. It's better to book an excursion and go to the other side of the island tho. It's about 30 minutes by shuttle. You can grab a taxi there as well, but it's expensive.

There is also a gorgeous Golf Course there if you're into that. There is a lot to do on that tiny island..... I'll be there next week & again next month...and again in 2020... :hearteyes:

There is shopping at the port then the area immediately outside the port is normal Caribbean town. The best beach is at west end where there is a nice little town with several restaurants and beaches. Many private snorkel and dive trips leave out of there. We like Coconut Tree Divers and Gaynor will take great care of you.

Right now there is a pier that is damaged that I didn't get to get off the ship last week.

Reading from those on board Liberty this week that the Captain has announced they will be docking at Roatan.

Just bad timing on your cruise last week since they were still looking into the damage of the pier.