Alaska Denali Explorer Cruise Tour on the Golden Princess

2018AGP

Hello,

This is my first time cruising to Alaska and first time on Princess. We selected the Denali Explorer land tour first and then 7 day Glazier Cruise. I'm dissapointed because unable to reserve a Port Side balcony cabin (cruise was almost sold out!). I read that for southbound Alaska Cruising departing from Whittier, you should reserve a cabin on the Starboard (right-hand)of the ship. Is this true? Has anyone done this cruise and will I be missing much by not being on the Port Side?

Our Itinerary is as follows: Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Glacier Bay (Scenic Cruising), Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. I appreciate any recommendations for tours. So I book with the Princess or go out on my own?

Also, we will be flying into Fairbanks and will have a full day before our Denali Explorer Tour begins. Any suggestions of what to do and see in Fairbanks.

I truly appreciate you help and insight and I look forward to hearing from many of you that have done this cruisetour.

Thank you!

Don't worry about what side of ship you will be on. During the best of the glacier days, you will want to be on deck (I like Deck 7) to be able to walk around and see scenery from both sides. When you are on your balcony, you restrict yourself and will miss half the scenery on glacier days.

You will see scenery on both sides of the ship - I have never cared which side my balcony is on.

Where are you staying in Fairbanks and will you have a car? What are your interests? Riverboat Discovery and Gold Dredge #8 are two popular tours, Museum of the North and antique car museum are all good options.

Warning - most Princess cruisetours only include the Natural History Tour. Cruisetours that only spend 1 night in Denali often don't have enough time to allow an upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I hope you are in Denali for two nights and if the TWT is not included in your package that you upgrade to it (or cancel the NHT altogether, get a refund and book a shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center - much less expensive and goes 4 miles further into the park than TWT. That 4 miles is prime bear habitat).

Thank you Coral! You put me at ease.

Frugaltravel, we are staying at the Fairbanks Princess Hotel. I'll have one full day in Fairbanks because my flight gets in at !2:30 AM. Was thinking of doing the Fairbanks highlight tour which include museums and Santa House in North Pole.

We doe have 2 nights in Denali.

Day 1: Fairbanks Riverboat To Denali

Afternoon At Leisure

Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge - 2Nights

Day 2: Morning At Leisure

Denali Park Tour - Natural History Tour

Day 3: Morning At Leisure

Denali To Mckinley

Evening At Leisure - Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge -1 Night

Day 4: Transfer: Lodge To Rail Depot Talkeetna To Whittier

Our plan is not to rent a car.

Appreciate your help and recommendations.

Thank you!

Thank you Coral! You put me at ease.

Frugaltravel, we are staying at the Fairbanks Princess Hotel. I'll have one full day in Fairbanks because my flight gets in at !2:30 AM. Was thinking of doing the Fairbanks highlight tour which include museums and Santa House in North Pole.

Our plan is not to rent a car.

Appreciate your help and recommendations.

Thank you!

If you do not have a car and enjoy museums and shopping this is a good choice. We have been to Fairbanks 3 times but prefer getting out of the "city" but for a short first time visit you will see the most on that tour. FYI Santa House is in the town of North Pole and is just a huge gift shop...we like stopping there just to browse if not purchase.:)

If you do not have a car and enjoy museums and shopping this is a good choice. We have been to Fairbanks 3 times but prefer getting out of the "city" but for a short first time visit you will see the most on that tour. FYI Santa House is in the town of North Pole and is just a huge gift shop...we like stopping there just to browse if not purchase.:)

Thank you Barbara! How did you like your cruise to Alaska on the Golden? I'm book on the Dolphin Deck and I hope it's a good choice!

Thank you Barbara! How did you like your cruise to Alaska on the Golden? I'm book on the Dolphin Deck and I hope it's a good choice!

We loved the cruise on the Golden! Alaska we love.:D..3 cruises with #4 on the Emerald (because RT from LA) in April and 3 times in an RV staying over 3 months the last time.

We like the Grand Class ships but decided to save $$ when on the Golden and booked an inside room which was a huge mistake for us. Next time we were on the Grand - can't remember if mini-suite or balcony but much happier.

We have sailed both the Golden's sister ships the Star and the Grand on Dolphin Deck and had no problem with the big uncovered balcony. I'm sure you have made a good choice.

We loved the cruise on the Golden! Alaska we love.:D..3 cruises with #4 on the Emerald (because RT from LA) in April and 3 times in an RV staying over 3 months the last time.

We like the Grand Class ships but decided to save $$ when on the Golden and booked an inside room which was a huge mistake for us. Next time we were on the Grand - can't remember if mini-suite or balcony but much happier.

We have sailed both the Golden's sister ships the Star and the Grand on Dolphin Deck and had no problem with the big uncovered balcony. I'm sure you have made a good choice.

Thank you Barbara! I see that you you also did a Viking Cruise! We are thinking of a Viking River cruise for next year. Switzerland and France. Did you like the River cruise? Quite difference from a cruise ship?

Thank you Barbara! I see that you you also did a Viking Cruise! We are thinking of a Viking River cruise for next year. Switzerland and France. Did you like the River cruise? Quite difference from a cruise ship?

Yes it is very, very different than an ocean cruise ship. We went from Budapest to Amsterdam and really enjoyed seeing the small towns and castles along the rivers. Major differences we noticed besides many less people were: the very limited evening entertainment but enjoyable when they brought on local entertainment, food choices were much fewer, and no buffet to eat at between the 3 meals. Tours were not extra on our cruise and consisted mainly of walking tours around town and it was easy to go into town or return when you wanted. They did have a special for our cruise where they bused us into Munich and that was lots of fun.

We were booked on a river cruise with Grand Circle on the Elbe River for this spring .It started in Berlin and ended in Poland but unfortunately Grand Circle has canceled any future cruises on the Elbe because of the frequent low waters. Low water was also an issue for our cruise, September, and approximately half way through we had to change ships. The other ship had started in Amsterdam and when everyone was off for a day trip they switched all passengers' luggage from one ship to the other. Both ships were identical so except for having to pack it wasn't an issue for us.

If considering a River Cruise it would be best to read as many reviews on the one you are planning because water levels can be an issue. We knew there were problems with the Elbe and that our river cruise might turn into a hotel trip but we have never been to Berlin nor Warsaw and Krakow which were hotel based anyway so took a chance and booked. Many people are very unhappy when they find out they will not have as many days on water as there were supposed to be.

Yes it is very, very different than an ocean cruise ship. We went from Budapest to Amsterdam and really enjoyed seeing the small towns and castles along the rivers. Major differences we noticed besides many less people were: the very limited evening entertainment but enjoyable when they brought on local entertainment, food choices were much fewer, and no buffet to eat at between the 3 meals. Tours were not extra on our cruise and consisted mainly of walking tours around town and it was easy to go into town or return when you wanted. They did have a special for our cruise where they bused us into Munich and that was lots of fun.

We were booked on a river cruise with Grand Circle on the Elbe River for this spring .It started in Berlin and ended in Poland but unfortunately Grand Circle has canceled any future cruises on the Elbe because of the frequent low waters. Low water was also an issue for our cruise, September, and approximately half way through we had to change ships. The other ship had started in Amsterdam and when everyone was off for a day trip they switched all passengers' luggage from one ship to the other. Both ships were identical so except for having to pack it wasn't an issue for us.

If considering a River Cruise it would be best to read as many reviews on the one you are planning because water levels can be an issue. We knew there were problems with the Elbe and that our river cruise might turn into a hotel trip but we have never been to Berlin nor Warsaw and Krakow which were hotel based anyway so took a chance and booked. Many people are very unhappy when they find out they will not have as many days on water as there were supposed to be.

Very informative Barbara. Thank you very much.

Back to Alaska, did you book excursions through Princess or did them on your own. What are you recommendations for

Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan?

Very informative Barbara. Thank you very much.

Back to Alaska, did you book excursions through Princess or did them on your own. What are you recommendations for

Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan?

First I will say we do take Princess tours most everywhere we go and have never felt the experience has been anything except great. For us saving a couple of dollars , or more, by booking our own tours is not worth it.

It is hard to recommend things for you not knowing your interests but maybe the following will be of some help.

We have been to Juneau multiple times so we will just walk around. In the past we have: Gone to Taku Lodge by seaplane and it was a great adventure but it is pricey. We have gone whale watching and saw several whales, taken the Tram when in town on our own, and visited Mendenhall Glacier with a tour. You really can't go wrong with anything you choose so I would recommend the tour that is most interesting to you..

In Skagway we will take the White Pass Scenic Railway through Princess- have done this in the past and enjoyed. Just taking the train both ways hoping there is still a "winter wonderland" on the pass. Have been to the Yukon and driven up and down the Klondike Hwy in our RV several times and really enjoyed the scenery. Depending on how much you want to spend and if you want a meal doing either railroad one way and motor coach the other way would be my first choice as a recommendation..

Ketchikan we are doing the Princess Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour because we have not done that and DH wants to. The other times we were there we took the boat to Misty Fjords, took the seaplane to Misty Fjords both pricey. We have also gone to Totem Bright State Park and have enjoyed seeing the totem poles. We have just walked up to Totem Heritage Center and spent time on Creek Street. We were lucky it wasn't pouring rain because it can be quite wet there anytime of year. Wildlife spotting is very hit and miss and most of the tours are expensive to see the bears - many disappointed people who were lead to believe they had a great chance of seeing them. We have seen a lot of bears but never while on a cruise. Bears go after salmon and that is when you see them- I would only take a tour during salmon spawing season where they are taking you

First I will say we do take Princess tours most everywhere we go and have never felt the experience has been anything except great. For us saving a couple of dollars , or more, by booking our own tours is not worth it.

It is hard to recommend things for you not knowing your interests but maybe the following will be of some help.

We have been to Juneau multiple times so we will just walk around. In the past we have: Gone to Taku Lodge by seaplane and it was a great adventure but it is pricey. We have gone whale watching and saw several whales, taken the Tram when in town on our own, and visited Mendenhall Glacier with a tour. You really can't go wrong with anything you choose so I would recommend the tour that is most interesting to you..

In Skagway we will take the White Pass Scenic Railway through Princess- have done this in the past and enjoyed. Just taking the train both ways hoping there is still a "winter wonderland" on the pass. Have been to the Yukon and driven up and down the Klondike Hwy in our RV several times and really enjoyed the scenery. Depending on how much you want to spend and if you want a meal doing either railroad one way and motor coach the other way would be my first choice as a recommendation..

Ketchikan we are doing the Princess Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour because we have not done that and DH wants to. The other times we were there we took the boat to Misty Fjords, took the seaplane to Misty Fjords both pricey. We have also gone to Totem Bright State Park and have enjoyed seeing the totem poles. We have just walked up to Totem Heritage Center and spent time on Creek Street. We were lucky it wasn't pouring rain because it can be quite wet there anytime of year. Wildlife spotting is very hit and miss and most of the tours are expensive to see the bears - many disappointed people who were lead to believe they had a great chance of seeing them. We have seen a lot of bears but never while on a cruise. Bears go after salmon and that is when you see them- I would only take a tour during salmon spawing season where they are taking you

Very helpful. Thank you so much!

I would check the Princess excursions then find a couple in each port that might interest you. Most likely you will be able to find an independent vendor doing the same tour. You might not save much money, but you will get a more personal tour and probably a longer tour. Asking what tours to take is a question no one but you can answer, as BJS said - we don't know your interests.

I would check the Princess excursions then find a couple in each port that might interest you. Most likely you will be able to find an independent vendor doing the same tour. You might not save much money, but you will get a more personal tour and probably a longer tour. Asking what tours to take is a question no one but you can answer, as BJS said - we don't know your interests.

Yes. Understood. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide on an excursion in Skagway. Is it worth taking the White Pass Scenic Railway through Princess? Is it a round trip meaning it goes up and comes back down with the same sites? I'm also thinking about doing a motor coach to Yukon/Klondike highway and take the White Pass back down to port. Which option gives me the most and best of Alaskan sites?

I'm trying to decide on an excursion in Skagway. Is it worth taking the White Pass Scenic Railway through Princess? Is it a round trip meaning it goes up and comes back down with the same sites? I'm also thinking about doing a motor coach to Yukon/Klondike highway and take the White Pass back down to port. Which option gives me the most and best of Alaskan sites?

Yes it is worth taking it. Princess will pick up at the pier- on your own you have to walk into town.

It is round trip for only the railroad and the same tracks so same sights one looking up and the other down.

You will see the most scenery taking railroad one way and bus the other. You will see several waterfalls on the road down. The sites are scenery and if that is what you enjoy seeing for a first time trip that would be my suggestion.

Either tour you choose will be great if you like scenery much better than walking around the very small town.

We have driven down the Yukon/Klondike 3 times and loved the trip but we also were in an RV and could stop several times for pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Any experience with the following excursions:

Skagway - Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway or Best of Skagway

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier Guide Choice Train Hike or Mendenhall Glacier Explorer

Is the hike strenuous and would you say you have to be an experienced hiker for the excursion?

Appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thanks!