Total knee replacement

onthelake

My friend just had total knee replacement on Tuesday and when I spoke to her on Thursday she said she had no pain at all, just a little stiffness. I'm wondering is there's a new type of knee surgery. I know there's a different type of total hip replacement with a very easy recovery because my BIL had it done that way and I had the old fashioned hip replacement with a 4 month recovery.

I do not doubt what you say. I would ask "was she still in the hospital and still on the morphine pump?" And as an FYI to all, my DH now at week #16 and has finally turned the corner. His pain is less and mobility much better. He will soon be dismissed from PT and will go to his gym instead. We are hopeful.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I do not doubt what you say. I would ask "was she still in the hospital and still on the morphine pump?" And as an FYI to all, my DH now at week #16 and has finally turned the corner. His pain is less and mobility much better. He will soon be dismissed from PT and will go to his gym instead. We are hopeful.

Linda, that's great to hear he's doing better!

I want to second or ? 3rd the rollator for cruise and port. It allows you to sit when tired. There is a Drive model which incorporates a Rollator and wheelchair so you could be pushed as needed. I have a Medline which worked well for me after TKR in April. I've used it on cruises and it is very convenient but it is like most others not designed to be a wheelchair.

Blessings,

Gail

to answer your question, linda, yes she was off the pain pump or block they used after surgery. Just yesterday, i met someone whose 84 year old mother also just had knee replacement and again, no post op pain. The doctor told them he used the new procedure. On the other hand, i know someone who had the surgery in july and said her recovery has been so difficult she would never consider having the other knee done.

we all heal differently and there does seem to be some new way of doing the knee replacements.

glad to hear your husband is starting to feel better.

to answer your question, linda, yes she was off the pain pump or block they used after surgery. Just yesterday, i met someone whose 84 year old mother also just had knee replacement and again, no post op pain. The doctor told them he used the new procedure. On the other hand, i know someone who had the surgery in july and said her recovery has been so difficult she would never consider having the other knee done.

we all heal differently and there does seem to be some new way of doing the knee replacements.

glad to hear your husband is starting to feel better.

Thanks for answering my questions. DH was curious about your comments. I know he will ask his Doc at the next appointment what this "new procedure" might be. We like to think we live in a progressive medical care area (Duke Medical and Wake Forest Baptist are both very close). But you never know what new medical science might be available in other parts of the country. I'll let you know if I find out anything interesting next month.

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, as several have said, people heal at different rates. I had total knee replaced middle of Feb this year and on a cruise in April with no problems. Now, did I ice it at night? Since I insisted on dancing yes I iced it. Took the ice pack to guest services and they marked it with name and cabin and put in a freezer each morning. YES, I did the PT prior to surgery. It was nothing hard but it does prepare the muscles some. Spent 8 days in a rehab facility with two one hour sessions daily plus on of the days had an occupational therapy session. Came home and continue therapy until time for our cruise.

Hubby had same surgery the end of May and it took him much longer to heal and not be in pain. He had 15 days at the same rehab facility and then therapy at home. His was right knee and he drives a bus. Was back driving it in August.

All this to say, do the exercises prior, keep a positive attitude, have the surgery and then wonder why you didn't do it much earlier. Rent a 3 wheel scooter (much easier to turn around in a tighter situation) at home. We actually had a dealer loan us one for our cruise. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

PS: Wonder if the "new procedure" is the computer assisted" type? That's what both of us had and is about all they are doing at the hospital we used.

Edited by Swampbaby
Added the PS.

Linda, I had my hip replacements done at Hospital For Special Surgery, in New York City. It's considered the number one orthopedic hospital in the country. At the same time, my BIL had his done at New York University Langcome Hospital also in New York City. His easier type of surgery required a special type of operating table and my hospital simply didn't have it. If I had know......

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone is different. I am at one year post tkr and am on pain medications for constant pain that makes it difficult to sleep. I have great range of motion and followed my Md and Pt's advise to a T. However further research shows that at least 25% of all patients experience chronic pain after knee replacement. Your ortho will not tell you this. Do your rehab and follow your physicians advice but everyone is different. In my case I can't stand, sit, or walk for any periods of time without pain. I hope you do better with your surgery

I just got back from a 5-night cruise, so I thought I might jump in here. Well, after two knee replacements I'm actually not jumping - but walking is sure a lot less painful :p

Recently I had both knees replaced. (FYI - I'm 59 years old.) My right knee was Sept. 23rd, and my left was Nov. 18th. My right knee seemed so easy and pain free (I went back to work at 4 weeks) that I was really anxious to get the second one done.

Then I actually had the left one done. Oh my goodness. What an entirely different experience!! The pain was far worse. Range of motion was half that of the first. Only yesterday was I able to sleep without pain meds for the first time. I think I am doing really well, but I also still have a ways to go. I will go back to work next week and even though I've had more time off with this second knee, I am anxious about how well I will do.

Anyway, one month and two days after the second surgery we were on the Brilliance of the Seas. I enjoyed the cruise very much! But - I also used the cruise as part of my therapy. I walked slowly and used my cane. I took full advantage of the recumbent bike in the fitness center and did my exercises in the room.

We didn't get off the ship at Grand Cayman but did in Cozumel. I was able to walk an estimated mile and a half, but came back to the ship absolutely exhausted. (However, a foo-foo drink made the exhaustion more tolerable. ;))

My advice is to simply listen to your own body. I did what I was capable of doing, and didn't try to push myself any farther. Yes, it made my cruise different than in the past, but it didn't diminish my experience at all.

OP, with four months ahead of you I think you will have a wonderful goal to work towards! Just don't overdo it. Your knee will let you know what you need to do to help yourself on your trip.

• 1 month later...

I had a total knee replacement Feb 20, 2013 and cruised April 13, 2013. Did PT prior to surgery which strengthens tendons and muscles, transferred from hospital on 24th (extra time due to blood counts) to a rehab facility for 8 days where I had PT rehab twice a day every day and occupational therapy 5 of the 8 days. Once home I continued rehab until week prior to cruising. I did take freezable ice packs which Guest Services marked and I dropped them off in AM and picked them up in PM. YES, I did keep using the ice packs but the great part was I was able to dance which really felt wonderful.

True, every person heals a little different - hubby is perfect example as he had one done end of May and end of August he still was not where I was in my 7 weeks.

I took shore excursions where I understood there would not be a lot of climbing but did OK as long as I was careful how I walked.

My feelings? Go for it and enjoy yourself.

Thank you all for the support. I am 7 weeks post-op now and move around fairly well. Doctor says I met the three month goals already. I have moved from pain meds to Tylenol but I am so exhausted! It seems like a struggle to get through the activities of daily life. I cannot image how I would feel if I had to return to work. All in all, I am doing well and it has really helped to hear all your stories. Thank you.

So you think I will be fairly mobile? I love the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert. I would also like to go snorkelling but I think getting back in a boat would be to stressful.

I have had a total knee replacement that did not go well, and am actually booked to have a revision done on it this spring. However, when we did our Hawaiin cruise, I found a snorkeling tour that used a boat with a large walk in ladder in the back. It made it very easy for me to get on and off the boat even with limited mobility. So just check which tour you plan to snorkel with and see if they have wide easy access steps into the water.

I will have total knee replacement surgery in Jan/February (don 't have date yet). We are on a TA on May 4. Lots of sea days which will be nice but I am struggling with what I can do in port and in London where we will spend a few days before returning home. I know recovery varies but any tips? Thank you.

Not sure if you are still reading these posts. I had the surgery 3 times. After two weeks of home nurse visits and the knee bending machine I went to rehab 3 times a week ,then two, then one. I went to Europe after 3 months. Biggest problem is the flight! You cannot bend your knee as well and sitting for long periods in dangerous especially if you have had surgery. Take Aspirin for ten days before the flight and get up and moe. If you can, get a business class ticket for more leg room.

Take a power scooter if you can or walker with seat if you can't definitely. On the cruise get an accessible stateroom if you can. If not, your power scooter must be narrow or it will not fit thru the narrow doors on the regular staterooms. We have Shoprider Echo, very light and narrow. Around $500-$600 from Walgreens.com. You can have it shipped to the local store so no shipping and if the Doc will give you a prescription, no tax!!!

Good Luck M.

I am the OP. I am eight weeks post-op today. I am walking well with a cane and have a bend of 95+degrees. We don't sail until May 4 and it is a TA so few ports. I have enrolled in a supervised exercise program hoping to get my strength back. My leg is doing well, Tylenol for pain but I get very tired very quickly and I still have trouble sleeping. I need to work on getting back to my old (busy) self. Thank you all for your suggestions and insights.

Glad to hear your surgery has gone well. Keep working on getting more bend and DO NOt SETTLE for 90 + degrees. I did and over time it slowly got worse and now I have to have a revision because all I have is about 45 degrees. Continue to work hard at your physio..NO PILLOWS.. I learned from mistakes and also a had a better surgeon for my second. I did work hard first time around, but got complacent once I went back to work.

I also had a difficult time with sleep...the leg just does not feel right and takes a long time to adjust to the changes. Just rest when you can.

I wish you a grand recovery and a even more grand cruise and vacation.

regards,

Huggs, aka Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on this thread. My DH goes in for a TKR tomorrow morning. WE are booked on NCL Epic TA end of April and he will have 8 weeks to heal up before we head to Spain with our children (16, 19, 24)

Anything I need to think of now and also on the ship? We are taking the train Toronto to Orlando (accessible stateroom) as flying is not recommended. (24 hrs but restful right?) /Again thanks all for the information thus far.:)

Glad to hear your surgery has gone well. Keep working on getting more bend and DO NOt SETTLE for 90 + degrees. I did and over time it slowly got worse and now I have to have a revision because all I have is about 45 degrees. Continue to work hard at your physio..NO PILLOWS.. I learned from mistakes and also a had a better surgeon for my second. I did work hard first time around, but got complacent once I went back to work.

I also had a difficult time with sleep...the leg just does not feel right and takes a long time to adjust to the changes. Just rest when you can.

I wish you a grand recovery and a even more grand cruise and vacation.

regards,

Huggs, aka Sue

What do you mean by no pillows??:confused:

Thanks for all the info on this thread. My DH goes in for a TKR tomorrow morning. WE are booked on NCL Epic TA end of April and he will have 8 weeks to heal up before we head to Spain with our children (16, 19, 24)

Anything I need to think of now and also on the ship? We are taking the train Toronto to Orlando (accessible stateroom) as flying is not recommended. (24 hrs but restful right?) /Again thanks all for the information thus far.:)

I hope the surgery has gone well. Recovery is tough. Make sure he has compression stockings, take zip lock bags so you can make ice packs (and an old pillowcase to use to cover the plastic), whatever painkillers he is using by that time, a good cane or other walking aid, ask his physio what they recommend. Also ask his doctor if he should be taking a blood thinner based on the travel. You must be flying back.

I am 9 weeks post-op and have meet 12 week goals but get very tired from everyday activities and have the most pain in the middle of the night. He will need to adjust his expectations on the trip based on his recovery. My doctor, nurses and physio all said, "don't let the pain get ahead of you." He will need to acknowledge that on the trip. Overdoing one day may lead to several days of impaired movement.

I hope the surgery has gone well. Recovery is tough. Make sure he has compression stockings, take zip lock bags so you can make ice packs (and an old pillowcase to use to cover the plastic), whatever painkillers he is using by that time, a good cane or other walking aid, ask his physio what they recommend. Also ask his doctor if he should be taking a blood thinner based on the travel. You must be flying back.

I am 9 weeks post-op and have meet 12 week goals but get very tired from everyday activities and have the most pain in the middle of the night. He will need to adjust his expectations on the trip based on his recovery. My doctor, nurses and physio all said, "don't let the pain get ahead of you." He will need to acknowledge that on the trip. Overdoing one day may lead to several days of impaired movement.

Forgot to add, I am only now, at 9 weeks post-op, able to get my shoe back on my foot on the operated leg. That could be an issue especially since travel makes many of us swell anyway. You won't be able to judge this until just before the trip. I have been wearing moccasin type slippers with a hard bottom most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear On-the-lake: Have your iron level checked. I had TKR (right knee) in Aug 2013. Surgery and rehab went well (but slowly). I, too, was tired but thought it a result of anesthesia and surgery.

In Nov 2013 went to my family doctor for annual blood work. Result was my iron level was way low. (TKR (left knee) was on the horizon.) Apparently there was blood loss with 1st surgery, and my 'senior' women's vitamin did not have iron. So, I ate lots of liver (which I like), dark green leafy veggies, and switched to a multi-vitamin with iron. By Christmas, I was no longer so tired!

BTW, TKR (left knee) was 4 weeks ago, and rehab is going well (better than right knee).

Dear On-the-lake: Have your iron level checked. I had TKR (right knee) in Aug 2013. Surgery and rehab went well (but slowly). I, too, was tired but thought it a result of anesthesia and surgery.

In Nov 2013 went to my family doctor for annual blood work. Result was my iron level was way low. (TKR (left knee) was on the horizon.) Apparently there was blood loss with 1st surgery, and my 'senior' women's vitamin did not have iron. So, I ate lots of liver (which I like), dark green leafy veggies, and switched to a multi-vitamin with iron. By Christmas, I was no longer so tired!

BTW, TKR (left knee) was 4 weeks ago, and rehab is going well (better than right knee).

Thank you. Best of luck to you too. Getting into the gym and knowing what exercises to do has made huge difference.