New Menus from Chef Palmer

curiousx

I picked this up from frommers.com. Can't wait to try them all!

"Celebrity restaurateur Charlie Palmer, of New York's Aureole fame, has been the man behind the menus at Seabourn Cruise Line (tel. 800/929-9391; http://www.seabourn.com) since 2002, earning the line's consistently high marks for cuisine among both passengers and critics. Now, in the interest of keeping things fresh, Seabourn has that announced fifty new Palmer-created dishes will be rotated into the line's 28-day menu cycle through the end of 2005 aboard all three of its vessels: Seabourn Pride, Legend, and Spirit.

"The new dishes, which were developed in collaboration with chef Tony Egger, Seabourn's Corporate Manager of Food & Beverage, cover all courses. A traditional hot appetizer of sauteed escalope of foie gras receives an exotic accent with a peppered mango tatin and basil oil, while a double consomme of beef is gussied up with tiny duck confit cannelloni and roasted shallot petals. Mediterranean-style pan-seared halibut arrives studded with anchovies and adorned with a warm, Nicoise-style salad, crisp giant capers, and black olives. For those in a meat-and-potatoes mood, a grilled hanger steak is paired with a Guinness-braised short rib and complemented by grain mustard mashed potatoes and tomato compote. For vegetarians, new dishes include potato leek crepes with gruyere, young vegetables, and garlic confit; and a crisp polenta and mushroom cake with creamy leek stew and tomato sauce. Ten new desserts include milk chocolate and peanut butter bombe with bittersweet chocolate sorbCet and roasted peanut anglaise."

I picked this up from frommers.com. Can't wait to try them all!

"Celebrity restaurateur Charlie Palmer, of New York's Aureole fame, has been the man behind the menus at Seabourn Cruise Line (tel. 800/929-9391; http://www.seabourn.com) since 2002, earning the line's consistently high marks for cuisine among both passengers and critics. Now, in the interest of keeping things fresh, Seabourn has that announced fifty new Palmer-created dishes will be rotated into the line's 28-day menu cycle through the end of 2005 aboard all three of its vessels: Seabourn Pride, Legend, and Spirit.

"The new dishes, which were developed in collaboration with chef Tony Egger, Seabourn's Corporate Manager of Food & Beverage, cover all courses. A traditional hot appetizer of sauteed escalope of foie gras receives an exotic accent with a peppered mango tatin and basil oil, while a double consomme of beef is gussied up with tiny duck confit cannelloni and roasted shallot petals. Mediterranean-style pan-seared halibut arrives studded with anchovies and adorned with a warm, Nicoise-style salad, crisp giant capers, and black olives. For those in a meat-and-potatoes mood, a grilled hanger steak is paired with a Guinness-braised short rib and complemented by grain mustard mashed potatoes and tomato compote. For vegetarians, new dishes include potato leek crepes with gruyere, young vegetables, and garlic confit; and a crisp polenta and mushroom cake with creamy leek stew and tomato sauce. Ten new desserts include milk chocolate and peanut butter bombe with bittersweet chocolate sorbCet and roasted peanut anglaise."

OK, Now I'm HUNGRY!!! Thanks for the info!!

Host Dan

I've often wonder how well and accurately onboard chefs recreate celebrity chefs' menus. It is my understanding that on Celebrity cruiseline Michel Roux regularly visits the specialty restaurants on the larger ships and has the authority to reassign or even fire those chefs whose preparations are not up to his standards. How well does Seabourn execute the Charlie Palmer menus? How do they compare to the food served in Charlie Palmer's restaurants?

We have always commented on our evaluations that the Seabourn chefs are far superior to Charlie Palmer in every way. For one thing it is annoying at best to have the "dreaded" lobster, lobster, lobster on every sailing. (They know better than to bring that to our table!) Love each and every Seabourn chef and, especially, the young guys in the Verandah. Guess Seabourn feels that they must have a "name" attached to their cuisine. That said, the worst day on Seabourn (impossible) is far better than any other day any time!! Champagne wishes, cavar dreams, and endless Seabourn cruises for us!

There was a wonderful woman chef in the Veranda (I think the Pride Barbados>FLL cruise). She did a salmon piccata to die for. Now, as long as the breadsticks are not taken off the menu<G>.

Jane in PHL

Charlie Palmer's "dreaded lobster trio" is a small (although not that small on Seabourn) lobster tail with sauce, an eggroll, and lobster ravioli (the last time I saw it). My favorite is a "plain" lobster tail, or, the Seabourn Way--two, with browned butter. (Why mess with success?) Dearest Jane, actually, I remember that female chef and was remiss in referring to the Verandah chefs as "young guys"--mea culpa! Ah, life on Seabourn--all these "difficulties"--now back to the real world--yuck. Champagne wishes, caviar dreams, and endless Seabourn cruises--with or without Charlie Palmer.

Cruisecrazyone,

I have to agree with you on Lobster, Lobster, Lobster.

I personally enjoy it in its simplest form.

The egg roll did nothing for me.

But as we all know if there is something you don't enjoy there is always someone there to replace it with something more to your liking.

Thats the Seabourn way!!!

mcboo:) :) :)

Archived