Hiking mt liamiuga

jean87510

I’m glad someone finally posted about it, the reviews on Trip Advisor are so few and far between, and you can’t ask questions.

How many people were in your tour? Did they separate you out into skill levels? What time did you meet in the morning, and what time did you get back to the ship? My only worry about this hike is that it might get us back to the ship with little time to spare before “all-aboard.”

What do you wish you had brought for this hike that you didn’t have? And did you bring anything extra that you wish you’d left on the ship? Did you film it, take photos? I am planning to only take my gopro, but wondering if I’ll be sorry I didn’t have a still camera, or if I’d wish I hadn’t bothered to bring either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m glad someone finally posted about it, the reviews on Trip Advisor are so few and far between, and you can’t ask questions.

How many people were in your tour? Did they separate you out into skill levels? What time did you meet in the morning, and what time did you get back to the ship? My only worry about this hike is that it might get us back to the ship with little time to spare before “all-aboard.”

What do you wish you had brought for this hike that you didn’t have? And did you bring anything extra that you wish you’d left on the ship? Did you film it, take photos? I am planning to only take my gopro, but wondering if I’ll be sorry I didn’t have a still camera, or if I’d wish I hadn’t bothered to bring either.

We did tour through Poinciana tours. Our guide was Hilton. We had I believe 13 total from 2 ships. We met at 830 but people were late and by the time we got there and started it was 945am and the cruise ship excursion from the allure with 30 people started ahead of us. So, 1. Be on time. To prepare for hike is simple. If you just work out 3 days a week strolling on a treadmill, don't waste your time. Wear loose gym clothing not jeans or denim. No jackets necessary. No bug spray needed, no white shoes, no sandals of any kind or if you do, wear socks with them. Use weight lifting gloves for climbing. Bring water with you. Bring protein bars. Bring a small towel. Bring baby wipes. Only use a backpack. You'll need both hands for climbing. Cell phone or go pro fine for pictures. Don't wear pants. Our group had 2 guides. One for the less experienced and Hilton for the ones who completed. It was about noon when we got to top but had to wait for other groups to finish with pictures. So we started down at 1225. The first hour was rough for me because Hilton over warned us about dangers of slipping on the rocks and roots and I was really nervous about going down but my husband stayed and helped me and we caught up. My knees were shaking and I was a little dehydrated so I drank water and took a salt tablet. The way down is much harder for first 45 minutes. The last 1/2 hour of the climb up is hard. This is not a hike. It is a climb. I would do it again. Soda and beer at end of hike. We were back to ship by 245pm

Thanks so much for all the tips! Why do you suggest not wearing pants? I was planning to take my convertible hiking pants with me because I was worried about getting all scratched up from tree roots and mud, but do you think it’s too hot to wear them? How about running leggings? Or do you think shorts are better?

Did you think it would have helped to have hiking poles? I have a pair, but am hesitant to bring them because I don’t particularly like having to carry the extra weight in my hiking pack when they turn out not to be necessary (I’ve only really ever found them necessary on a really technical hike/mountain climb or when we have to cross a stream over rocks).

Thank you for the workout glove recommendation!

I’m glad to hear you got back before 3pm even though you started late. That has been my biggest worry. We’re totally prepared for the climb. We play a lot of sports in the altitude of the mountains (soccer, skiing, hiking and biking), and I’m running a half marathon the week before we get there. All that being said, I’m still heeding all the warnings so that we don’t underestimate the difficulty, which every person reporting on it has agreed on, regardless of their fitness level, haha!

Thanks so much for all the tips! Why do you suggest not wearing pants? I was planning to take my convertible hiking pants with me because I was worried about getting all scratched up from tree roots and mud, but do you think it’s too hot to wear them? How about running leggings? Or do you think shorts are better?

Did you think it would have helped to have hiking poles? I have a pair, but am hesitant to bring them because I don’t particularly like having to carry the extra weight in my hiking pack when they turn out not to be necessary (I’ve only really ever found them necessary on a really technical hike/mountain climb or when we have to cross a stream over rocks).

Thank you for the workout glove recommendation!

I’m glad to hear you got back before 3pm even though you started late. That has been my biggest worry. We’re totally prepared for the climb. We play a lot of sports in the altitude of the mountains (soccer, skiing, hiking and biking), and I’m running a half marathon the week before we get there. All that being said, I’m still heeding all the warnings so that we don’t underestimate the difficulty, which every person reporting on it has agreed on, regardless of their fitness level, haha!

This guide gives you the sticks. It's not a hike. It's a climb so 2 sticks may be a hindrance. It's hot so I wouldn't wear pants. I run all the time and I had knee length bike shorts that were comfortable. It's just a lot of climbing so if you feel comfortable in pants then go ahead. I also do 1/2 marathons and did one in March 3 weeks before so I think you'll be fine. ;). Once you're done youll have that same feeling as you do after a race.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I did this hike(climb) 20 years ago. You are under the rainforest canopy for most of the way up so there is not much in the way of brush etc at ground level. I would skip the hiking poles as the guide may have some walking sticks to use.

Ok, thank you both. I’ll leave the poles at home and I’ll just go with shorts or leggings. That saves me a lot of space in my luggage and I’m glad to know I don’t need the pants and poles. The gloves are a great idea and I will bring those for the rock scrambling, and figure they’ll also keep my hands clean for picture taking at the top.

• 3 weeks later...

I've hiked Mt Liamuiga twice- in 2008, and 2018.

It's not easy. The first time we went with a cruise ship group and there were many very unprepared people. (Keds type sneakers, sandals, very out of shape...) Many did not make it. (We did!)

The second time we went with Royston. We were a group of four so we just booked him privately. This was much more pleasant, however, since our first climb in 2008 some new hotel complex has blocked off the closer access so the hike is about another 20-30 minutes longer (although mostly easy terrain) each way than it was in 2008.

1) Wear hiking boots.

2) Bring a camera

3) I do not think hiking sticks would be useful (some of it you really are CLIMBING not hiking) but YMMV

4) Shorts or pants fine. I wore pants the first time and shorts the second- I did sustain a few small scrapes from leafy plants and one from a rock but it wasn't anything major.

5) Royston actually required my photo (to make sure I was in shape) and asked about my hiking experience and current fitness level. I was surprised but can sort of understand.

HAVE FUN!

I've hiked Mt Liamuiga twice- in 2008, and 2018.

It's not easy. The first time we went with a cruise ship group and there were many very unprepared people. (Keds type sneakers, sandals, very out of shape...) Many did not make it. (We did!)

The second time we went with Royston. We were a group of four so we just booked him privately. This was much more pleasant, however, since our first climb in 2008 some new hotel complex has blocked off the closer access so the hike is about another 20-30 minutes longer (although mostly easy terrain) each way than it was in 2008.

1) Wear hiking boots.

2) Bring a camera

3) I do not think hiking sticks would be useful (some of it you really are CLIMBING not hiking) but YMMV

4) Shorts or pants fine. I wore pants the first time and shorts the second- I did sustain a few small scrapes from leafy plants and one from a rock but it wasn't anything major.

5) Royston actually required my photo (to make sure I was in shape) and asked about my hiking experience and current fitness level. I was surprised but can sort of understand.

HAVE FUN!

They asked for a photo?! Haha! That’s the first I’ve heard of that, but it’s a good idea (though I have to say that I know some people who appear to be out of shape but have strong lungs and legs, so the photo thing could lead to underestimating some people’s ability).

We booked a private tour with Thenford Grey, and so far we are the only 2 people on the tour. We booked many months ago, and our cruise is in 20+ days, so we may be alone which would be good.

It looks like I should definitely leave the hiking poles home (I almost never use them anyway, even on 14ers), and I will skip the hiking pants and just wear an old pair of leggings that I don’t mind getting ripped if I get snagged on a rock or a tree branch. I will definitely pack my hiking boots though, even though they are really heavy and bulky.

Thanks everyone for your input.