Medivac happening on the Breakaway.

shadowmeboy

Medivac is more and more common these days ... Breakaway had at least 2 others within the past month or so.

Sometimes, it's not the ship's passengers - rather an injuried or critically sick crew members onboard that need more advanced, land-based urgent medical care at the nearest facilities.

On December 2nd, - out of range for helos, the Escape diverted to Cozumel, Mexico after it sailed from the Cayman Island, instead of going to GSC - took over 10 hours to transfer the patient ashore. Passengers & crew went for the unscheduled ride - more fun days at sea. Guest what - no OBC issued as far as I know, excursions cancelled ... stinks, huh. No compensations warranted.

Things happened & it is - the Captain's call per protocols and established procedures. Rest assured, quite a few ... unhappy campers on the ship now, and, I wouldn't be happy either - it is what it is, living. Saving the life of another fellow human being - priceless, imagine if you or loved one in that rescue litter basket.

My nephew was, up until recently, a paramedic for Princess. They medivac all the time and remove passengers to hospital on almost every cruise. I was on the Allure last summer and there were TWO medivacs in one port and three ambulances lined up at another. My nephew said the longer the cruise, the more people are disembarked (and die), because older people tend to go on the longer cruises.

I was on Anthem and seen them pull someone out of the indoor pool. Vacationing firefighters were near by and jumped in to help. I later heard that because we were midway between Bermuda and NYC, we were out of chopper range. Unfortunately I don’t think that would’ve mattered in this case. Very hard to witness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I have actually been inside these helicopters before. I have seen the ones that the coast guard uses and some other smaller variants. I know for sure you can only fit one stretcher in there at a time. So usually you only air lift one person at a time, which is what the US coast guard does 99% of the times. That way, if the patient goes into cardiac arrest, you have room to start cpr and etc.

So if both patients were air lifted at the same time, this suggests that at least one patient is in stable condition. This is good news for one person. :)

IMO, I think more likely is that the second patient isn't actually a patient at all is more likely a family member accompanying the patient.